1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips ZAGG invisibleSHIELD is no good with Galaxy Nexus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PhilipJFry3000, Dec 18, 2011.

1. PhilipJFry3000

None

Dec 17, 2011
    I just wanted to share my experience with my GNex and Zagg's invisibleSHIELD. I'm actually a huge fan of their screen protectors -- used them for years. That's why I bought my invisibleSHIELD for my GNex even before the phone arrived last Friday.

Unfortunately there is something that just doesn't work between the GNex screen and the invisibleSHIELD screen protectors. When it is clean, it's like it is not even on there. But with a few fingerprints, these terrible splotches of color appear:

[​IMG]

It looks far worse than fingerprints on the unprotected screen.

Anyway, this is just a heads up. If anyone knows of another product similar to Zagg's but that doesn't have this fingerprint issue, I'd love to know what it is!

Maybe this one.

Advertisement

Joe Schmuck likes this.
  2. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest
    None

Thanks for the warning!

I was THIS close to getting it today but decided to wait because I'm still not ready to leave my Gnex alone for 12 hours while it sets.

3. marknichelson

marknichelson Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2011
    I put that Skinomi on my GNex on Thursday and took it off today. It was doing the same thing as the Zagg in your picture.

4. PhilipJFry3000

None

Dec 17, 2011
    That sucks. Maybe XO skin is the answer.

5. jamesoja

jamesoja Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    I picked up the Zagg at Best Buy on Friday and slapped it on my Nexus as I was starting to panic over the possibility of the scrEen getting scratches. My local options were Verizon screen protectors or the Invisishield by Zagg. I prefer dry application screen protectors over the wet but I thought why not give Zagg a shot since it had been awhile since I used one on a phone. I have them on my cameras and other gadgets and have always had excellent customer service from them. After applying the Zagg, letting it sit and cure I am pleasantly surprised. I am not in love with the tactile feel, however I do not have and visual blemishes.

Do I wish Power Support made a protector for the, heck yes but I do not see that happening. I am happy with the Zagg for now and will not be ordering anything else in the near future.

To the OP, how long ago did you apply the Invisishield? If it was recently, it may look better 24 hours from now.

Good luck and thanks for letting me share.

6. NecoD

NecoD Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    NY
    I've had the Zagg's on a bunch of my phones and I feel within the past couple years that their quality has dropped or their R&D hasn't kept up with some of the other companies. I ordered an XO for mine since I can't stand that "orange peel" effect that the Zagg has.

7. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    I put the Zagg on my GN but took it off shortly after because I didn't like what it did to the screen. I knew I shouldn't have bought one because in the past I always pull them off every phone because I get OCD with its flaws. At least it was basically free with Best Buy points :D

I'm never too worried about scratches, it's the finger prints that drive me nuts on every phone.

8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    Statesboro, GA
    I put a zagg on mine, and it is more smudgy than without I will admit. The oleophobic coating on the gnex screen is quite good. But with three young children I am not willing to let it go unprotected. Just tonight I left my phone unattended and came back to my 11 month old banging it on the floor. Ouch. Plus for keyboard typing it sticks better IMO.

9. Nolesfan

Nolesfan Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    New York
    You have to give it a day or two after applying the wet application screen protectors. You will get the rainbowing initially, but it goes away.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  10. Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck Member
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Crap I ordered one last Friday. What's a guy to do????

11. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    OP that's normal with most screen protectors. The oils from your hands will cause these oily "smudges". The good thing is that the more you use the screen protector, ie "wear it in", the less it seems to do that. Could be because the surface becomes more worn and thus oil is less likely to smudge all over, but visibility is not affected.

I use PhantomSkinz and it seems to be the best imho, but they all do that, at least initially.

The good thing is the oil is much easier to wipe off / wipe clean with a screen protector. And imho unless your hands are super greasy, the normal oil on your hands will not make the smudges all that noticeable. If it is really noticeable, then it is perhaps a clue you should wash your hands.

12. PhilipJFry3000

None

Dec 17, 2011
    As I mentioned initially, I've been using invisibleSHIELD for years and this is the first phone where I've had this problem :thinking:

13. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I've been using BSE, Zagg, PhantomSkinz, Ghost Armor, ClearFreak, etc etc for years as well, they all have that issue. A simple wipe of a towel / shirt / microfiber cloth takes care of the issue.

14. FierceDeityLink1

FierceDeityLink1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Looks fine here.

Attached Files:

15. ISASoilder

ISASoilder Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    College, Work
    Washington D.C
    A Quick rub on your Jeans will do the trick, I have this problem all the times with SP Smh

16. Shockwave78

Shockwave78 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 16, 2011
    HVAC
    NH
    I put a SGP on mine and i have somewhat the same thing but mine are vertical lines across the screen. Not nearly as noticeable as yours but it pisses me off, hopefully it clears up in a week or so as it was a wet apply

17. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert
    None

That picture looks just like the screen on my Incredible. I just assume it's normal and I wipe off the screen once a day or so.

18. treb1797

treb1797 Extreme Android User
    None

May 22, 2011
    Tennessee
    Have the Zagg on my DROID Charge & when it gets like this I just wipe it with a soft cloth or even the black cloth it came with. This thread is misleading.

load97 likes this.
  19. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    I don't know why but I always have good luck with the cheap screen protectors from ebay. Ya know the ones that you get 8 of them for $3 . Every phone I've gotten in the past few years has gotten these and when I take them off when I get a new phone they never have a scratch on them . When I've applied them right it's barely noticeable that they are even on the phone and I never have a problem with finger prints

20. PhilipJFry3000

None

Dec 17, 2011
    I never said you cannot wipe them off. I was trying to explain that the fingerprints show up much worse on the GNex then the other six or seven phones I have used it on.

Tags: