• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Zagg - Speaker Issue

Caveman419

Android Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2010
Last cave on the left
I went ahead and had a Zagg put on my GNex (wanted one that would last). I had it puton at the store because if they mess it up they will replace it. Here is my question:

After they put it on, I am getting not sound out of my speaker (top of the phone) when making a call. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have never used a screen protector - always had Motorola deviced with Gorilla Glass. After I got home I read the directions for installation and they say to power the device off and remove the battery. It also says that I should leave the phone powered off for 12-24 hours.

Does anybody that has used one in the past have any info?

Could be two things that I can think of...one, is the protector covering the speaker at all? upside down, or anything like that... and two, it COULD be the solution just garbling up the speaker, which should (hopefully) clear up as it evaporates. Can you not hear at all? is it there but tinny? Garbled? And they say leave it off, simply because it is a liquid solution, so it's better to minimize any risk of shorting due to that by leaving the phone off while it settles in and evaporates out.

Reactions: Caveman419
Upvote 0
Could be two things that I can think of...one, is the protector covering the speaker at all? upside down, or anything like that... and two, it COULD be the solution just garbling up the speaker, which should (hopefully) clear up as it evaporates. Can you not hear at all? is it there but tinny? Garbled? And they say leave it off, simply because it is a liquid solution, so it's better to minimize any risk of shorting due to that by leaving the phone off while it settles in and evaporates out.

It is not upside down or covering the speaker (placement is spot on). I can not hear anything through the speaker, no garble - nothing. I can place a call and put it on the speakerphone mode and hear the caller, but if I switch over to normal ear speaker I can't hear hear anything. I have it off and under a warm light for right now. I might have to leave it that way and re-activate my DX for the night out.

Does anyone know if it had botched my speaker up, will Best buy replace the phone?

Upvote 0
They better make it right if it doesn't clear up. Sounds like water from the application solution got in there, could be bad, could be good.

Please report after it dries out a bit!

I just got off of the phone with Best Buy Mobile. They said try some canned air to blow it out. I told him that I am out and can not make it into the store until tomorrow. He said that he has never heard of the application solution damaging a speaker yet. Iasked him what if the speaker never starts working again? He told me that he is sure that they can make it right, even if it means a new phone. That makes me feel a little better, just going to be without my phone tonight. Gonna leave it in a bag of white rice while I am out.

I will keep this updated.

Upvote 0
Okay, the speaker is working now (big sigh). After the hockey game last night I stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up a can of air. When I got home I pulled the phone out of the bag of rice and blew out the speaker (at an angle like suggested by the Best Buy Mobile CSR) and I there was a small puddle of the solution used to apply the screen. I put the phone back in the rice to be safe. Inpulled it out this morning, put the battery back in powered back up, called my voice mail and heard the automated voice. Then I did a little happy dance.

Maybe Best Buy should really cut back on the anoount of solution that they use when applying these. Or try to wipe the excess way from the speaker hole. Thank you all for speaking up with your past experiences!

Upvote 0
Okay, the speaker is working now (big sigh). After the hockey game last night I stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up a can of air. When I got home I pulled the phone out of the bag of rice and blew out the speaker (at an angle like suggested by the Best Buy Mobile CSR) and I there was a small puddle of the solution used to apply the screen. I put the phone back in the rice to be safe. Inpulled it out this morning, put the battery back in powered back up, called my voice mail and heard the automated voice. Then I did a little happy dance.

Maybe Best Buy should really cut back on the anoount of solution that they use when applying these. Or try to wipe the excess way from the speaker hole. Thank you all for speaking up with your past experiences!

This is always my biggest concern when installing mine, I always squeegie away from the speaker hole, to keep any solution from getting in there, also I make sure to hold the cloth in one hand to absorb any solution that I squeegie out anywhere.

Upvote 0

they use too much, plus they spray the phone itself.

it's not necessary to saturate the phone with the stuff. i've installed zaggs and xo's. never sprayed the phone itself, just the skin.

Upvote 0
I was concerned too, but the CSR installing it said that there is nothing to worry about with all of the liquid. I should have read the instructions before I let him begin.

yeah, those '***** at best buy are taught to saturate the phone itself, which is clearly warned against in the instructions.

all it takes is a little spray on the skin itself. no need to give your phone a bestbuy bath....:eek:

Upvote 0
yeah, those '***** at best buy are taught to saturate the phone itself, which is clearly warned against in the instructions.

all it takes is a little spray on the skin itself. no need to give your phone a bestbuy bath....:eek:

He did just dowse the phone. I am also at fault for blindly trusting a Best Buy employee. I mentioned that the directions said to turn off and pull the battery before spraying it and he said that is optional.

I was going to get one for the wife's DInc. Glad I didn't, she would have been really pissed! She hates that store. Now I will be installing it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones