• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Zeam Launcher anyone?

I figured it out and I don't see the big deal really. Sorry.

i can see that. i just like to keep my main screen clean, and that dock allows me to get to 10 different applications from the home page with no icons up on the screen.
mail

Upvote 0
I LOVE the docks, just don't see the hype about the swipe gestures.

Different strokes is all. I like to minimize the number of icons, so I have, for instance, my phone launching the dialer, and swiping the phone launching Google Voice. Web icon launches Dolphin, while swiping launches the stock browser. Map icon launches maps, swiping launches Navigation. Means I have 5 icon slots, but 10 apps launching.

dlaxman31, a screenshot isn't going to help. All that it does is allow you to press a dock icon for one shortcut, and swipe the dock icon for another shortcut. Works nicely.

Upvote 0
Different strokes is all. I like to minimize the number of icons, so I have, for instance, my phone launching the dialer, and swiping the phone launching Google Voice. Web icon launches Dolphin, while swiping launches the stock browser. Map icon launches maps, swiping launches Navigation. Means I have 5 icon slots, but 10 apps launching.

dlaxman31, a screenshot isn't going to help. All that it does is allow you to press a dock icon for one shortcut, and swipe the dock icon for another shortcut. Works nicely.

I'm the same way. I have almost no widgets on any of my screens. I can't stand clutter on my screens either on my pc or my phone. The swipe gestures on the dock icons of LPP is a godsend. Between that and the scrollable dock there is almost no need for any widgets on my screens.

Upvote 0
I just went in the other direction and am now using Zeam. I really like it. I didn't care as much for the LP swipe on the dock icons (it was hard for me to get them to work the first time most of the time, and I would just get the "main" app from the icon. So I would swipe, get the wrong app, have to close it out, swipe again, etc). I'm sure others have mastered that better than my fat fingers will allow. :)

I also like the 6-app/icon, scrolling dock on Zeam. I just realized that I can put more than 6 icons on the doc and scroll it (though I don't know what the limit is yet). I know that LP has a scrollable dock as well, but I just like the smaller 6-icon Zeam doc (even though that's less than 10 apps if you include swiping the icons). I even like Zeam's simple "faded" dock appearance better than the list of docks you can download for LP. (Again, not that LP doesn't have some very nice docks -- it does. But the faded one goes well with my clock widget perfectly, so I'm settled on it).

I also like swiping my notification bar down, and swiping up for the app center, and double-tapping for the screen previews. And it is just *quick*. I had quite a bit of lag with LP, and really none that's noticeable on Zeam. The footprint is much smaller and it seems to use less battery. And I don't get stuck icons when I hold them down indicating that I need to get the paid version to resize the icons. (I know it's good to pay for the full version, but I just don't need it, which is probably why I like Zeam to begin with).

I suppose the bottom line is that LP has more features/functionality and Zeam is simpler without being ugly (at least to me) like Blur. It does just what I need and nothing more -- and too much stuff just confuses me. Ha ha. Like some have stated that they like uncluttered screens, I prefer a simplistic launcher with just the functionality I like. I also tend to put my apps in FolderOrganizer (coming from the BB Storm, I'm just used to that kind of organization), and I don't use a large number of widgets nor require too many screens. So it works out well.

Plus, the Zeam dock is accessible from the app center page as well, not just a home button on the bottom. So you have slightly quicker task switching there.

Zeam would definitely not win out in a launcher competition by any means, but for a few like myself, it's just right.

* I am in no way affiliated with Zeam nor do I receive any kickbacks from the Zeam developer. :)

Upvote 0
Zeam is great especially for lower end Androids with 600MHz or lower CPU and significantly cuts lag down over the standard UI or manufacturer UI. Helix Launcher is about the only other lightweight launcher to compete with but it hardly has anything and G2's Launcher2 is better off (if you can find a working standalone version). Also give LiveHome a shot, great customization in there, I have every single app with its own icon I downloaded from icon websites.

Otherwise if you have a newer Android phone then you may as well go with ADW Launcher or LauncherPro.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones