• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Quick question though, as I've jumped around between this thread & that massive on on the XDA site, do I NOT want to do the MMS fix or the VVS fix? I do use GMail but I can live with not getting updates in my notification bar, if I like the ROM, & just refresh it myself, or using it in the Stock Mail App. It sounds like the best thing to do for the VVS fix is to either switch to GV or switch to Handcent, which will be my first option if I'm having the same problems as everybody else, as I'm assuming I will.
Well, you need the VVM fix just to even get Sprint VVM on the ROM, without it you 'll notice that Voicemail isn't in your programs list. Handcent is what you'll need to use to block he voicemail texts, so you should do the VVM fix and then (or before) dl handcent. I didn't use the MMS fix and i have no issues sending or receiving pictures with handcent. I'm actually not even sure what that's supposed to fix, maybe someone can elaborate on that.

I'm getting the same thing when I try to run the ZenUpdater. Did I do the right thing by first flashing the 0.9.6.2OC Toast Rom or should I have started w/an earlier & worked my way up? I'm trying to find my way around that long post & figure out when the newest updates were loaded, so that I can see what problems people have had since loading it, but haven't had much luck.

Install the 0.9.6.2OC then use the ZenUpdater and get the .3 patch. You might want to change your setting to put the zip in the root folder as you'll have to boot in recovery and flash that file manually. Also as posted above you will probably need the VVM fix also. You can change that dl folder by hitting menu with ZenUpdater open then clicking on Configuration/Advanced Settings/Update Folder, just delete the info there to save to the root dir. Something is not working with it dl-ing to the other location when you try to auto install it, one of devs is looking into it I believe.

i seem to be getting a force close when i try using SetCPU. any suggestions?

Now this and the Zenupdater FC issues will normally clear out with a reboot or 2, I had the same issue, but both have cleared out. There is a ZenUpdater 2.1 patch also, not sure what it fixes, but it does run fine for me, again you'll have to dl it to the root and manually install it.

Upvote 0
this rom works well for me. I flashed the latest update available (update 3 i think).
lag is reduced (battery seems to drain faster when in use) - i guess because its defaulted to be overclocked when used but downclocked when screen is off.

i got the text issue when getting a voicemail but visual voicemail seems to work for me.

wifi tether works just fine. overlcock widget works fine too, but i do not use it since the default OC settings are fine.

coming from Fresh 2.1.1, the speed and landscape view ability is awesome.

i cannot download/install extra htc widgets though.

Upvote 0
Just stumbled on this thread :) --

Looks like I will be flashing this over my current fresh 2.1.2 ...

Anything I should know before I make the jump? Things that do not quite work right out of the box?

Is this the link I should use?
http://files.androidspin.com/downloads.php?dir=zenulator/ROM/ZenEXP/ROM/&file=ZenEXP-0.9.4.2.zip

yup. visual voicemail may not work properly (there's updates and what not but ymmv) and gmail has been said not to auto update (but if you use the regular mail app there's no issue).

you may have other issues depending on what you want to run.

i came from fresh 2.1.1 and feel it's better. (i never liked 2.1.2 since it was a space hog and didn't seem to run faster than 2.1.1 for me).

Upvote 0
yup. visual voicemail may not work properly (there's updates and what not but ymmv) and gmail has been said not to auto update (but if you use the regular mail app there's no issue).

you may have other issues depending on what you want to run.

i came from fresh 2.1.1 and feel it's better. (i never liked 2.1.2 since it was a space hog and didn't seem to run faster than 2.1.1 for me).

The 2 big problems are:

Gmail will not autosync. That means that Gmail users will not get pushed email. This negates one of the prime reasons to use Android in the first place.

VVM will get also SMS notification. There is a cumbersome work-around - install Handcent, blacklist 9016, still get notifications, etc. Yes, you can use Google Voice, with its own dance-arounds.

This ROM is very fast and responsive. However, if it cannot handle Gmail and VVM then I am afraid that I can't use it.

Reactions: Hero_Guy
Upvote 0
Couple of questions with apps since flashing this ROM:

1) Swype doesn't work. I get a message that it is installed for a different device. I haz a sad. :(

Works fine for me! I just had to reinstall it about 10 times to get it to work. Never even occurred to me that the ROM might be the reason why though.

2) I'm confused after reading that thread on xda about the GV workaround to make it like VVM. (link) How do I set my GV refresh time to 60 minutes? I don't even know what it is now or how to check it. Nothing about reset to a specific interval in the app settings.

I just use it outright without the "workaround" so not too sure....

Reactions: Fenga Papit
Upvote 0
Those others who are also running ZenEXP with OC, what are you using: SetCPU or OCwidget?

I had been using SetCPU, but after using Fresh Toast I switched to OC widget. Maybe I should switch back, as my battery life really isn't doing too well, even when I set my values down. I've got my screen on values set to 538/192 and screen off at 192/245. The phone snaps awake quickly and the phone feels responsive, but battery life could be better. I use it at 691 when I run games like Sniper vs Sniper and it's incredibly fast, but eats the battery as well.

I may experiment with SetCPU after lunch. I'm a whole 10% lower by the end of the day than I used to be with Fresh Toast. I must be doing something funky.

Then again, maybe that's the price of using the stock e-mail client, rather than Gmail

Guess I have a few options to look at to see if I can figure out optimal settings.

EDIT: Well, just installed SetCPU and uninstalled OC widget. I check my speeds using System Panel, but noticed an app called OS Monitor. I opened it up and checked out some of the readouts and it was showing my settings (previously from OC widget) as 537/192 PERFORMANCE. With that setting it seemed my phone was ALWAYS running full throttle at the upper end setting when the screen was on.

Now, with SetCPU I have it set to 528/122 ON DEMAND and my CPU speed varies as needed when I check it on System Panel.

We'll see if this translates into better battery life or comparable speeds.

More to come.

Upvote 0
I have come across a new issue...

I'm having an issue at times answering an incoming call. I think I have narrowed it down to the processor ramping back up from 246 while screen is off. Anyone else having this issue?

Other than that, still loving this ROM. After 14 hours of decent use, I still had 37% battery left.

Upvote 0
I have come across a new issue...

I'm having an issue at times answering an incoming call. I think I have narrowed it down to the processor ramping back up from 246 while screen is off. Anyone else having this issue?

Other than that, still loving this ROM. After 14 hours of decent use, I still had 37% battery left.

Yes, I noticed this issue yesterday. My wife called me twice and the first time I was unable to answer her call using the talk button.

She has no problems at all with her stock kernel of ZenEXP.

Are you using OC widget or SetCPU to set your speeds?

Upvote 0
I'm running the OC toasted GodMode kernal, OC'd with OverClock Widget set to 246 min and 710 max.

I experienced the same as you. Hear ringtone, see screen go black (but still have taskbar) and can't answer it no matter what you do. Then the next call back you can.

Using OC Widget:
I have mine at:
screen on
480 min
691 max
screen off
160 min
480 max
can answer calls just fine.

Upvote 0
I'm running the OC toasted GodMode kernal, OC'd with OverClock Widget set to 246 min and 710 max.

I experienced the same as you. Hear ringtone, see screen go black (but still have taskbar) and can't answer it no matter what you do. Then the next call back you can.

Well, this may be premature, but using SetCPU I was able to answer my calls immediately. I just tried after waiting 5 minutes between calls (Called from my office phone) and it worked great.

Battery life seems to have stabilized as well, although I will give it a full day or so before I go jumping for joy.

Upvote 0
Works fine for me! I just had to reinstall it about 10 times to get it to work. Never even occurred to me that the ROM might be the reason why though.
You could have just posted "neener, neener, neener!" :D

I'll try deleting and installing Swype to see if that helps. From what I gathered by reading on xda, the system has a lib file for Swype in it that Zenulator left there. Since this is based off of a T-Mo My Touch ROM (with Swype as stock) it could be causing a problem initially, but no one had a fix other than finding the lib file in system (libswypecore, or something) and deleting it. I searched and couldn't find any file with that name.

I just use it outright without the "workaround" so not too sure....
Their workaround includes using Handcent and blocking your GV number. IDK, it's confusing with what the guy was explaining in his OP and what he was trying to accomplish from what GV does already.

Updated my PRL by doing the nandroid back 'n forth trick. Now my PRL ends in 666! Teh sign of teh debil! My phone tried to eat my ear!!!!

It doesn't seem to have helped my reception any with this ROM though. When I restored back to FT 2.1 my reception was much better by two bars. Updated the PRL, restored back to Zen and my reception went down to two bars.

Upvote 0
I wondered to myself if swype was going to get screwed up for some people because it was a tmob based rom, and originally from a different phone...

I have been lucky and it works for me.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just the relase that my wife and I are using, but we haven't had any problems at all with Swype and this rom. Hopefully that continues.

Upvote 0
I wondered to myself if swype was going to get screwed up for some people because it was a tmob based rom, and originally from a different phone...

I have been lucky and it works for me.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
Uninstalling and reinstalling worked, I got Swype back!!!!

dancing%20smiley.gif

BTW, how do you navigate to this forum on Tapatalk? I upgraded to the paid app, but couldn't find this forum on the AF site.

Upvote 0
Uninstalling and reinstalling worked, I got Swype back!!!!

dancing%20smiley.gif

BTW, how do you navigate to this forum on Tapatalk? I upgraded to the paid app, but couldn't find this forum on the AF site.

Go to android forums>forums>android phones> all the way at the bottom, the sixth one from the bottom is sprint htc hero. If you long press, you can make it a favorite, then all you have to do is touch the favorites button in the first menu, and it will pop up.

Reactions: Fenga Papit
Upvote 0
You could have just posted "neener, neener, neener!" :D

I'll try deleting and installing Swype to see if that helps. From what I gathered by reading on xda, the system has a lib file for Swype in it that Zenulator left there. Since this is based off of a T-Mo My Touch ROM (with Swype as stock) it could be causing a problem initially, but no one had a fix other than finding the lib file in system (libswypecore, or something) and deleting it. I searched and couldn't find any file with that name.

Their workaround includes using Handcent and blocking your GV number. IDK, it's confusing with what the guy was explaining in his OP and what he was trying to accomplish from what GV does already.

Updated my PRL by doing the nandroid back 'n forth trick. Now my PRL ends in 666! Teh sign of teh debil! My phone tried to eat my ear!!!!

It doesn't seem to have helped my reception any with this ROM though. When I restored back to FT 2.1 my reception was much better by two bars. Updated the PRL, restored back to Zen and my reception went down to two bars.

neener neener neener!

Oh, check your actual reception and not just what the bars say. I'm curious if it's better or worse (or if there is a different radio in use, etc).

...like I have any idea what I'm talking about...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones