1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Zenfone 5 still broken after factory reset

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Ken Chang, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Ken Chang

Ken Chang Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2016
    Male
    Hi all,

first a little background: Had my zenfone 5 for about a year and a half, everything gucci, love the phone. Suddenly one day while listening to music and walking to class, the sound stopped working. A while later(~a day), videos stopped working, then I can't turn on camera or watch snapchats. Calls stopped going through, can't hear anything. Phone basically useless at this point, but I am still able to click different things. After trying to factory reset multiple times and scouring the internet to different tips, nothing worked. I had no time to deal with it then so bought a cheap phone for daily use, now I have time and want my Zenfone 5 back!

Fired it up today after about 3 months hiatus, I get continuous message that says "ASUS launcher has stopped working", to which I click "OK" and the message pops up again, over and over, in a loop. This time I run the factory reset again, now once I fire it up it get "Setup wizard has stopped working", which also loops over and over. After lurking for different solutions, I'm suspecting maybe a faulty ROM or something.

Thanks for any advice and solutions, I want to fix it really badly. :/

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    If this is your device then you are looking OK.

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/39/1/0/2/96nqlxHp1VKV4Rdz/32/

I mean that amount of support is unbelievable. There is a manual to help you pick out the right firmware, an app to unlock your bootloader, the Kernel source is right there for download.... makes me want a Zenfone.

3. Ken Chang

Ken Chang Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2016
    Male
    Dang, didn't know all this was out there, thanks a bunch.

However, I can't access anything on my Zenfone due to the continuous loop of error messages, where would you advise to start for repairing it? Should I install new firmware, or...?

4. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    Yes, new firmware. You should still be able to get into Fastboot and recovery mode even if in a Bootloop. Just follow the instructions.