• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Zenithink ZT-180 - Help needed please

The Zenithink manual refers to windows ce not Android 2.1. Odd?

not really, many of the tablets coming out of china were designed as inexpensive winCE devices ($99 laptops! running Wince)

so yes a LOT of the documentation reflects wince, some folks have even stated that on SOME pads there are certain functions thatwill ONLY be activated by wince, but personally I dont need any of those functions that badly!

even microsoft admits wince is carp

Upvote 0
I have one of these, if you are having stability probs or screen blackouts, stop the wifi if not using it as on android the wifi overheats, its mentioned on a thread in here somewhere, I done it a week ago and mine has been spot on ever since, from only getting 5 mins before the screen would black out......HTH

Bob

Upvote 0
I have one of these, if you are having stability probs or screen blackouts, stop the wifi if not using it as on android the wifi overheats, its mentioned on a thread in here somewhere, I done it a week ago and mine has been spot on ever since, from only getting 5 mins before the screen would black out......HTH

Bob

Simple Fix for the Wifi issue that I wrote up back in July... for some bizarre reason they implemented this version with the Wifi TXPower set 100%, which both overheats the Wifi dongle(stripped and mounted internal), And adds additional heat internal to the case thus heating the unit as a whole... Besides wasting power, added as heat... the over power of the TX signal affects the received signal(seems like distortion to received by overpower close proximity transmitter) and causes dropouts... It's really a Very Simple fix once Rooted... you just need to;

- Edit the /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat file to
make Change to lower TxPower to 20%

#The word of "Default" must not be removed
CountryRegion=5
CountryRegionABand=7
CountryCode=
ChannelGeography=1
SSID=AndroidTether
NetworkType=Infra
WirelessMode=5
Channel=0
BeaconPeriod=100
# Full 100% Power
#TxPower=100
# 20% TX Power Runs Much Cooler and better perf
TxPower=20
#
BGProtection=0
TxPreamble=0

I've done some testing under various conditions, distance, obstructions in path, etc.. and had very good Luck with settings from 40% down to 20%... under worst conditions 40% got less comm errors but uses more power thus added heat and battery drain... at 20% I lost a bit of worst case range... but ran coolest with least power needed and any dropouts would reconnect as expected just fine so this seemed to be the overall optimal choice for the setting...

Reactions: MHC59 and bobismad
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones