• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ZIP] MMS FIX FOR CM/AOSP/AOKP (THANKS wolfu)

Same problem. I flashed the "Stockthemed" ontop of Dirt AOKP 3.5 (Inc 3.5.2) and I can receive MMS, send and receive texts but can not send MMS.

Tried stock, chomp, hancent all over 3g and wifi.

Exactly, me too! I received my friend's MMS just a little bit ago, and then I tried sending and it would just get stuck on sending. I thought I was going crazy, cause others said that they could send and receive on Dirt AOKP. How are you guys doing it?

Upvote 0
Exactly, me too! I received my friend's MMS just a little bit ago, and then I tried sending and it would just get stuck on sending. I thought I was going crazy, cause others said that they could send and receive on Dirt AOKP. How are you guys doing it?
Have you tried the manual method in the OP of wolfu's thread to see if that works for you. He was using Dirt AOKP when he discovered the fix.

ramjet73

Reactions: Chingling
Upvote 0
This is working for me in Dastins latest CM10.

1. Download and place this file in /etc
  2. Set permissions to rw-r--r--
  3. That is a build.prop that has all the settings from the post in the OP (No need to go in and change the mmsc as I have done it for you). After installing. Go to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases and delete the following:
    • mmssms.db
    • mmssms.bd-journal
    • telephony.db
    • telephony.db-journal
  4. Reboot your phone.
  5. Open Voice Dialer
  6. Say "open apn's"
  7. Select it and and press the dot on the right hand side where it says Sprint.
  8. Reboot again
  9. Profit

ok im kind of confused here. to download we must right click the link and click save link as, correct? now to install this do we copy whats in the downloaded xml to the existing xml or completely overwrite the existing xml?

Upvote 0

For whatever reason the APN reverted itself for me. If you go into Voice Dialer and say "Open A-P-N" and go into the "Sprint" APN, the MMSC SHOULD be "http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" but reverted itself to sprintpcs for me.

If you change it back to "http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?" and hit Menu and Save, I was able to send MMS without issue.

Upvote 0
didnt know being unsure was a crime. thanks for the help tho.
In fairness to you, the file was described in the instructions as build.prop, which is in the /system directory, when the downloaded file is actually apns-conf.xml and belongs in the /system/etc directory, so you had a reason to be confused.

And yes, it's always better to ask if you're not sure. ;)

ramjet73

Reactions: crashnova
Upvote 0
I flashed the stocktheme version of the zip file on AOKP 3.5.2, then booted into Android and checked the /system/etc/apns-conf.xml and it still showed the VM settings. But when I used voice dialer to "open apn's" the sprint settings showed, so there must be a difference between the one being used by the system and the version in /system/etc.

While reviewing the version in /system/etc I noticed the following comment:
<!-- This version must agree with that in apps/common/res/apns.xml -->
That may be the reason why the current version of the zip file isn't working.

I'll update the zip file to copy the same xml file to that location and see if that fixes it.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Running PACMAN rom. I can confirm this works!!!

1.-Flash one of the MMS apps from the first page.
2.-Change the APN setting according to the XML file.
carrier="Sprint"
mcc="310"
mnc="120"
apn="Sprint"
user="Sprint" server="*"
password="*"
mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?"
authtype="3"
Reboot
Works.

FYI: Most of the settings were aplied by the ZIP flash. Except for the mmsc setting.

Reactions: jjohn7293
Upvote 0
I flashed the stocktheme version of the zip file on AOKP 3.5.2, then booted into Android and checked the /system/etc/apns-conf.xml and it still showed the VM settings. But when I used voice dialer to "open apn's" the sprint settings showed, so there must be a difference between the one being used by the system and the version in /system/etc.

While reviewing the version in /system/etc I noticed the following comment:

That may be the reason why the current version of the zip file isn't working.

I'll update the zip file to copy the same xml file to that location and see if that fixes it.

ramjet73

This is strange since I took the apns-config from AOKP 3.5 to begin with. If you don't figure it out, i can have a look tomorrow. We may just need to edit the script to install to both locations. I have a feeling the user below is getting the same error if that is the case. Thanks for all the support you offer ramjet. I see you on every forum I frequent helping out. Definitely appreciated by many.

Running PACMAN rom. I can confirm this works!!!

1.-Flash one of the MMS apps from the first page.
2.-Change the APN setting according to the XML file.
carrier="Sprint"
mcc="310"
mnc="120"
apn="Sprint"
user="Sprint" server="*"
password="*"
mmsc="http://mmsc.vmobl.com:8088/mms?"
authtype="3"
Reboot
Works.

FYI: Most of the settings were aplied by the ZIP flash. Except for the mmsc setting.
If ramjet or someone else doesn't figure this out tonight, I will try to fix this tomorrow.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones