1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support zte awe (n800) not booting

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by user_error, Jan 13, 2014.

1. user_error

user_error Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2014
    I just got my new ZTE Awe changing carriers to Virgin from ATT (overpriced, wow.)

I'm new to rooting of course (why else would my phone be bricked). I liked the phone a lot but hated the virgin bootup sound (so noisy and awful).

So I deleted that file, I think it was called Bootsound_virgin.ogg in the system/etc folder. To do this I had to change permissions to write: (chmod 777). But then...

When I finished, I thought "gee I should change permissions back." As a linux-like newbie I changed it to 444. I think doing this wrecked my phone's needed permissions, because now my phone won't boot.

How do I get back in there and reset that permission? I can boot the phone in FTM mode but I'm not sure what to do from here.

Thanks so much. Will update as I progress.

update #1: I can boot into "android system recovery <3e>" also.
    update #2: I tried a factory reset, no luck. md5 check reveals:
    ---begin md5 check---
    -system/etc/Bootsound_virgin.ogg <long hash>
    +system/xbin/su 100452 <long hash identical to next hash>
    +system/xbin/su 100452 <long hash identical to last hash>
    Diff sum:3
    System files are different with the official

---end---
    Update #3: I tried wipe data/factory reset but phone still won't boot. The Virgin Mobile animation will play, but then the phone will hang on "ZTE"
    Update #4: I learned how to use android SDK with adb shell in order to get a shell command on the phone.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Now root, get to that directory and change the permissions to what they originally were.

user_error likes this.
  3. user_error

user_error Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2014
    SOLVED. Thanks Rukbat and everyone. I tried resetting permissions to 755 on that folder but it still wasn't booting. In desperation I went ahead and "touch" to make a dummy of the missing file, and that solved the loading problem.

SO IF YOU RUN INTO THIS, please remember not to just delete the file, or it will brick the system. Use touch to replace it, or (this manufacturer's version of) android will fail to boot.

4. RCAIN1

RCAIN1 Member
    None

Jan 29, 2014
    HELP i rooted my zte awe its been rooted for about a month now today i went into recovery and rebooted but what happend was its stuck on the little android guy and wont boot up i can get into recovery but it just is stuck on the green guy what should i do?

Tags: