• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE AWE rebooting

laszlomdq

Dec 4, 2013
First let me say thank you to all the nice people in this forum that are sharing their knowledge in the threads about this phone. I just switched to this phone after having the LG Optimus V for a long time. It was very impressive that after all this time Virgin Mobile would release a phone where I could transfer my old plan and at the same time I could tether with it. My phone is rebooting by itself randomly, sometimes two or three times in a row. Is anybody having this issue?

First let me say thank you to all the nice people in this forum that are sharing their knowledge in the threads about this phone. I just switched to this phone after having the LG Optimus V for a long time. It was very impressive that after all this time Virgin Mobile would release a phone where I could transfer my old plan and at the same time I could tether with it. My phone is rebooting by itself randomly, sometimes two or three times in a row. Is anybody having this issue?

I am not having those issues at all. Have you done anything on the phone yet?

The Optimus V was a great phone. Used it until the devs moved on to other projects, so it never really got past ICS.

Upvote 0
Mine is doing the same; random reboots when launching different apps: camera, maps, contacts, etc. or trying to use the speakerphone to place a call, when a call comes in, etc etc; but not everytime I use the app!

Getting frustrated! I've even factory reset, still have problems. And most of the time need to pull the battery to get it to stop loop rebooting!

I did use cydia impactor to root; don't know how to un-root it, or hard reset it to see if that fixes it.

Afraid to call VM to replace it as it's still on my $25 plan; don't want them to change me to the $35 plan.

Suggestions???

Upvote 0
I was having issues installing the Windows 7 drivers so I don't know if that messed up something in the phone since I kept trying for a while. I ended up rooting the phone with Kingo and then installed Link2sd but I don't have a card installed in the phone yet. The phone didn't reboot at all today but I keep getting a very random error; something about "text to speech..."? Anybody seen this? Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
I was having issues installing the Windows 7 drivers so I don't know if that messed up something in the phone since I kept trying for a while. I ended up rooting the phone with Kingo and then installed Link2sd but I don't have a card installed in the phone yet. The phone didn't reboot at all today but I keep getting a very random error; something about "text to speech..."? Anybody seen this? Thanks for the help.

Find the Google Text-to-Speech app in the play store then uninstall it then reinstall it and that crash should go away.

Reactions: krikit
Upvote 0
Find the Google Text-to-Speech app in the play store then uninstall it then reinstall it and that crash should go away.

Yea mine was doing that today after my 3rd factory reset in 2 days. The uninstall/install did the trick.

I'm going to take out my SD card I was using from my OV for a day & see what happens... Should it be formated a certain way? (Fat, fat32, ntfs?)

Upvote 0
Yesterday I had another random reboot while I was in google images, I noticed too that after browsing for around 5 minutes the phone got very warm. I don't have any text to speech errors anymore after I uninstalled the software updates for that specific app. What apps could I uninstall or stop so the phone performs better? I don't really care about any of the google play stuff other than maps, are those safe to sop?

Upvote 0
Yesterday I had another random reboot while I was in google images, I noticed too that after browsing for around 5 minutes the phone got very warm. I don't have any text to speech errors anymore after I uninstalled the software updates for that specific app. What apps could I uninstall or stop so the phone performs better? I don't really care about any of the google play stuff other than maps, are those safe to sop?

I don't know if this would help with your reboots, but personally, I did not install any updates for, and just disabled, the following unused and unwanted pre-installed stock system apps (bloatwares to me):

Chrome
Gmail (currently, but will enable later on)
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Magazines
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Text-to-speech
Google+
Hangouts

They can be disabled via:

[Menu] > Manage apps > Select the specific app > Disable

FYI...

Reactions: krikit
Upvote 0
My phone has been running continuously for over a week now, basically since I bought it. It is rooted but stock recovery. The second core is enabled and running at full speed (1.2GHz). I have not had a single unintended reboot, the phone is rock solid.

I suggest you do a reset on the phone and see if it is stable for a couple of days, if it is, then slowly add your apps (add a few apps, then run for a day or 2 before installing more). If it starts to reboot, then try removing the apps you just installed...

Upvote 0
My phone has been running continuously for over a week now, basically since I bought it. It is rooted but stock recovery. The second core is enabled and running at full speed (1.2GHz). I have not had a single unintended reboot, the phone is rock solid.

I suggest you do a reset on the phone and see if it is stable for a couple of days, if it is, then slowly add your apps (add a few apps, then run for a day or 2 before installing more). If it starts to reboot, then try removing the apps you just installed...

I didn't have a single reboot since black friday until yesterday.

Upvote 0
I don't know if this would help with your reboots, but personally, I did not install any updates for, and just disabled, the following unused and unwanted pre-installed stock system apps (bloatwares to me):

Chrome
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Magazines
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Text-to-speech
Google+
Hangouts

FYI...

I ended up uninstalling most of those apps when I first got the phone.
The only ones I have left on that list are Gmail, which Im keeping, and Google Play Games...not sure if I should uninstall that or not...:thinking: lol

Upvote 0

Chrome
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Magazines
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Text-to-speech
Google+
Hangouts

FYI...

Haven't had a reboot problem yet but, just adding that I removed most of these as well. Wonder if that is where the sistuation lies?

Upvote 0
Thank you very much everyone for helping me out on this issue. The phone rebooted again today, it did when I opened chrome, made a search and hit go (the same steps I did when it happened before). This time the phone rebooted four other consecutive times each one right after the Virgin mobile boot screen until it finally started. I have another phone brand new that didn't opened yet since it's a Christmas gift for my son but I would really like to reproduce this issue to see if is the phone or an app that I installed.

Upvote 0
Apparently it's not the SD card; had mine out for 2 days now; and it was doing good; until I just unsilenced it via the standby menu/press and hold to unlock/camera/mute & it rebooted!

Arrgh. It's so random, it can be any app it seems. I have 2 others for my kids for Christmas, I want to test them out; but don't want to hand them opened boxes either.

Upvote 0
I got 2 of them for $20 each at Target during the Black Friday special, and had this problem happen to me. The 1st one hadn't been doing it, but before I could get a case for it it slipped out of my shirt pocket straight onto the concrete.

The 2nd one developed this problem. It would reboot & reboot & reboot sometimes for 15-20 minutes over & over, you couldn't stop it. (It seemed to do it worse once the battery reached 30% or so.) I have about 2 seconds of patience for something like that, and it ended up in splinters--this time, unlike the 1st time, ON PURPOSE.

It's ashame because to get it for $20 coming from a Kyocera Rise, it'd been fine for me had it not developed this problem. The call quality and screen clarity were fine, GPS locked on quickly, battery life was okay if not outstanding, and there was no "lag" or locking up as my Kyocera Rise would do and do often. I'd been content with it vs, say, a Galaxy S3, but reboots are totally unacceptable for me, they're a deal breaker--or, in this case, a phone breaker. You just don't do it. Period. DON'T DO IT.

The LG Optimus F3 went on sale at Radio Shack for $70 the Monday after that disastrous weekend, I grabbed it and have had none of those reboot problems, and it has 4G & better battery life to boot. Heck, I have gone 3 days at times without a shutdown or reboot, and it just goes right along rock-solid. THAT is how a phone should be, and OUT OF BOX too.

Short answer--get the LG Optimus F3, forget this piece of junk. You shouldn't have to do the phone equivalent of a lobotomy or engine overhaul just to stop extremely annoying reboots. It should do fine that way OUT OF BOX, AS IS.

Upvote 0
I understand how annoying this could be but in my case if I switch to a different phone it will make me loose my grandfathered plan. Yesterday my phone went on rebooting for at least 10 minutes until I took the battery out of it. On the other hand I can't be that mad since I wasn't expecting much from a $20 phone. Worst case I might have to switch back to the Optimus V.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't give up on the phone. I experienced the same rebooting issues until I flashed the stock update.zip, removed the sdcard, and kept everything stock and unrooted. It has only rebooted since once (and that's because I dropped it about 5 inches on my desk by accident).

No idea if it's hardware or software issue but it worked for me.

Upvote 0
I havent had one random reboot yet since I got my phone on BF. Using the update.zip posted on the Virgin site just puts the phone back to the day it came out of the box and have to redownload that stupid ZTE Application Enhancement update every time. Idk what its even for but if you check your SW version before and after you see it goes from B04 to B05. My suggestion to anyone with reboots is to use the update.zip, boot, let it download and install the SW update, after it boots then login to your Google account and finally allow it to update everything. Just let it alone until everything finishes. If you desire install the CWM recovery, make a backup, root with the superuser from the recovery thread and flash the ockernel to see if it stabalizes your phone at all. So far I'm smooth, fast, stable and again no crashes

Upvote 0
... have to redownload that stupid ZTE Application Enhancement update every time. Idk what its even for ...

Stock ROM version 0B04 has kernel 3.4.0-svn7986 while the OTA ROM update (version 0B05) has an updated kernel (version 3.4.0-svn10896). It's most definitely not a "stupid" update, but rather more likely a crucial update--enough to warrant an OTA immediately for new owners. This update provides the latest kernel with most likely bug fixes and functional enhancements, since the initial software release, 0B04, that was shipped with the phones directly from the factory back in July. FYI.

Upvote 0
Stock ROM version 0B04 has kernel 3.4.0-svn7986 while the OTA ROM update (version 0B05) has an updated kernel (version 3.4.0-svn10896). It's most definitely not a "stupid" update, but rather more likely a crucial update--enough to warrant an OTA immediately for new owners. This update provides the latest kernel with most likely bug fixes and functional enhancements, since the initial software release, 0B04, that was shipped with the phones directly from the factory back in July. FYI.

Oh. Well that clears that up. rbheromax kernel is still better :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones