• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Flash: Good Phone ~ needs root

I'm really enjoying my new Flash, but coming from a rooted (GingerBreak) and rommed (Cyan7) Optimus V, I am feeling very limited. Not as bad as the week I carried an iPhone, but limited none the less...
After searching here there and lots of forums in between, it seems to not be an option. If root can be had on similar ZTE devices then how can I use this knowledge? I'm not a dev or coder of any sort but I have a good grasp on technology. What's the next step???

This is my first smart phone and I absolutely love it. I need to get a bigger sd card just so I can download more "stuff".

What is the best way to be able to view videos that require a flash plug in? That's really my only complaint, that I can't watch certain videos and not being real tech savvy I'm not sure how to deal with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Update: Victory! always chasing threads, keep learning more... found it at xda.. they are BADA$$!!! so many props and Internets for Bin4ry @ xda!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

Use option 1
watch your phone for prompt. I did not enter encryption number, just tapped reset.
no change to phone other than root and default wallpaper.. success!!!

Reactions: Sent1nel
Upvote 0
Thanks for this, but so far I haven't needed to root this phone to get it to do what I want. It records phone calls natively and I can use it as a hotspot using the app Hotspot Control. On my last phone these functions required rooting first. I'm loving this phone so far. My only issue has been that the wi-fi is a little buggy. I keep loosing my connection and have to turn wi-fi off then back on to get it to connect again.

Upvote 0
Almost a year later, and still really enjoying this phone. Running CWM recovery - thanks Junkie2100 and a cleaned up ROM thanks to SuperR, the phone is kinda new again. Also has led to some tinkering and learning..
for example, the boot animation cannot be changed with rom toolbox. you can try but it wont. However if you use root browser and replace /system/media/bootanimation_sprint.zip with same named file you will be victorious. keep trying to play with statusbar icons, but no luck..yet..

Another big thanks to all the devs that push our devices farther and farther:D

Recovery and Rom here..
Flash - All Things Root - Android Forums

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones