• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Zte Merit Reboots constantly

I just bought a zte merit phone- I have had it two days and do not have anything on there as far as apps, just from the factory. This phone reboots ten times a day. I have plenty of battery, do not have wi fi on, do not have gps on. Pretty much just like I got it out of the box. I had to go back and replace my other that I bought on August 22nd with this one, as that one had some "issues" as well.

The other threads all comment on the afformentioned specs(battery,etc)

Is there anything that I can try so I do not have to take it back again as I will not buy another if so.

Does please help? :eek:

I have also had problems with my phone. Had one for a little over a week it kept shutting off on me. Returned it today and got a new one and I am having the same problems. It has probably turned off at least 10 times or more today. The worst part is that it does it in the middle of doing something. Help!!!!!! is there any way to turn off something that will keep it from doing this.

Upvote 0
I have also had problems with my phone. Had one for a little over a week it kept shutting off on me. Returned it today and got a new one and I am having the same problems. It has probably turned off at least 10 times or more today. The worst part is that it does it in the middle of doing something. Help!!!!!! is there any way to turn off something that will keep it from doing this.

Pull battery, Wait a few minutes put it back in.

If that doesn't fix the issue it's fault hardware, Take it back and get another.

Upvote 0
I have the Zte Merit and when I first got it Youtube and online videos loaded great! But now when I try to watch Youtube or any other videos it either takes forever to buffer befoe the vodeo starts and stops 2 or 3 times during the video to buffer or it just doesn't load at all.. I called Straight Talk and the lady tried to help me trouble shoot it but nothing she told me to do worked so she told me that i had to many apps downloaded so I deleted everyone of them and tried it and it still didnt work... Does anyone know how fix this??

Ps: Someone also told me it may have a virus so I downloaded the avg mobile protectiin app and it says my phone is clean...

Upvote 0
The phantom reboot problem seems to happen even if the phone is idle and even with nothing installed yet. I did trace it to the 3G radio and cellular data. Airplane mode seems to "cure it". Goes back to rebooting one or two times per hour when in 3G and when service is weak (1-2 bars/white icons vs. green)

Using wifi and cellular only (no mobile network data) seems to be fine too.

Whatever is doing it is giving a reboot command. Either something crashes regarding the cellular radio forcing it to reboot as a means of recovery or whatever, but if I went into terminal and typed reboot it does the same thing. It doesn't freeze before it reboots, as I was just looking at the screen once and it just turned off and right back on.

Upvote 0
Mine won't do it in airplane mode but soon as the cellular radio is enabled it starts up again with it. I've reflashed and wiped and rooted to no avail. Something regarding network registration must be getting lost and the phone sends a reboot command which causes the device to restart and re-acquire the signal somehow. Not sure if its just my area, a network update in progress or what?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones