• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE U960 ROM Discussion

Of course the ROM is meant there. "Overclocking" means normally to override CPU settings so that the CPU is running at a higher frequency.

for the U960 this means: It is made with a 1Ghz CPU. You can overclock it to 1.2Ghz or even 1.4Ghz. CPUs are mass products with tolerances. 1Ghz is guaranteed by the producer. This means that many CPUs will even work at a higher speed. But take care: Your phone can become unstable due to the CPU is not accepting the speed or will become too hot.

Raising the CPU speeds is mostly not working without also letting the RAM frequency running faster. So also this can result in unstable systems.

At the end everybody should know that overclocking can seriously damage your phone as you are using it out of producers specifications.

To overclock the U960 you only need to update the Kernel so you can overclock without losing all your data.

With baseband 2B03 I overclocked to 1.4Ghz without problems.
with baseband 2B06 and 2B07 my phone became unstable at 1.4Ghz so I use actually a Kernel at 1Ghz.

Hope I could help you. Again: This is a simple explanation and is not meant to be technically 100% perfect.

Thanks for these clarifications, did you experience any change in battery life when overclocking to 1,4 Ghz?
another point is unclear to me: specs show 850/2100 Ghz for 3G, when similar phones use 900/2100 Ghz, is it upgradable by baseband change or is it an h/w feature?
thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks for these clarifications, did you experience any change in battery life when overclocking to 1,4 Ghz?
another point is unclear to me: specs show 850/2100 Ghz for 3G, when similar phones use 900/2100 Ghz, is it upgradable by baseband change or is it an h/w feature?
thanks

I experienced a shorter battery life at 1.4Ghz what is quite normal as at 1.4Ghz the power consumtion of the CPU is higher.

some are even underclocking the phone (which means you take a kernel with 800Mhz for example) in order to raise battery life.

About the frequency question regarding 3G I don't know. I did not run into problems with 3G so far. In Germany and in China it is working fine and fast.

Upvote 0
Download 2B06 upto 2b07.zip

I've mirrored the update package published by LadyGeGe (thanks) meant to update the ROM and kernel from 2b06 to 2b07.

Haven't tried it, yet.

Thanks for the download link. I directly gave it a try. Works same like before - no change recognizable. I wonder if there's a change log of 2B07.

Still waiting for a real baseband update. Tomorrow I will start playing arround with htc t238w wind but nevertheless wait until we have a final solution for th u960 and Sim1.

Upvote 0
Hello community! I got my ZTE U960 with Chinese language today.

Now I want to flash ICS multilanguage as soon as possible.

Therefor I ask the question again if anyone know a release date of ICS

I guess release date will be somewhen in July. But nobody will tell you which year :D

Honestly I think as they are still troubling with the baseband they will not invest time in developing for ICS now. This is just what I heard so of course we all hope ICS will revealed soon. But something inside me tells me it will at least take a looooong time.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This is not needed but everyone can choose what to do by his own. It's a free world :D

My U960 is working for nearly 36 hours with strong usage. Kernel is at 1 Ghz and baseband 2B07. I use etotalk 1.6a ROM as basic.

did you installed some app to reduce battery usage? My phone cannot work for more than 12/13 hours with medium usage (about 10 mail received, about 60 minutes of 3g Internet using opera mobile and Facebook, and about 40 minutes of call).
I'm using rom 2b07 with baseband 2b07

Thanx

Upvote 0
did you installed some app to reduce battery usage? My phone cannot work for more than 12/13 hours with medium usage (about 10 mail received, about 60 minutes of 3g Internet using opera mobile and Facebook, and about 40 minutes of call).

Thanx

Take for example android system info. It seems there is some task that is stressing the CPU. I don't remember what rom it was but I had this with ADW Launcher. so I switched to another launcher: Problem was gone.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Thanx

On any mobile phone the bigger part of the battery consumption is due to the 3G connection.

And this is variable depending on the network tipe, on the firmware installed on the towers, on the towers maker and so on.

When I had the Milestone 1 or the N900, they were both used to last 24h using three.it, but only 6/8h using vodafone.it

I'm sure the same is applicable to theU960 too.

Upvote 0
Hi, I have done a new rom starting from the 2B06 integrating the update from Ladygege (thank)
Have done some tranlations (Danish German Spanish French Russian although some translations have been done with google so try to understand a few mistakes ...:eek:)
In the rom there is the OC 1.4GHz kernel and the init.d enabled with some scripts.
In the xbin dir there is v6sc.sh, if you want install it just execute by terminal or via adb.
As usual, the intallation of the Rom is done at your own risk and hazard...;)
This is the link to ZTE-U960_2B07-20120611 - catty.zip on 4shared
This is the link to ZTE-U960_2B07-20120611 - catty.zip on depositfiles

PS THE ZIP WIPE DATA PARTITION ... DO A BACKUP BEFORE INSTALLATION!!!

In the photo there is the last benchmark I done yesterday
shot_000014.jpg

Upvote 0
Hi, I have done a new rom starting from the 2B06 integrating the update from Ladygege (thank)
Have done some tranlations (Danish German Spanish French Russian although some translations have been done with google so try to understand a few mistakes ...:eek:)
In the rom there is the OC 1.4GHz kernel and the init.d enabled with some scripts.
In the xbin dir there is v6sc.sh, if you want install it just execute by terminal or via adb.
As usual, the intallation of the Roma is done at your own risk and hazard...;)
This is the link to ZTE-U960_2B07-20120611 - catty.zip
View attachment 33415
before installtion 2b07 can i wipe my zte u960?

Upvote 0
As usual, the intallation of the Roma is done at your own risk and hazard...;)
This is the link to ZTE-U960_2B07-20120611 - catty.zip on 4shared
This is the link to ZTE-U960_2B07-20120611 - catty.zip on depositfiles

PS THE ZIP WIPE DATA PARTITION ... DO A BACKUP BEFORE INSTALLATION!!!

View attachment 33415

There seems to be a problem with the ROM, at least on my phone. I've wiped everything, data, cache, dalvik cache, but after flashing the update, it seems that not all system apk-s were installed, even that they are present in the zip file, the most annoying is that the settings.apk is missing too, so no settings for me. I guess it is possible that the permissions are not right, so the system apps are there, but I don't have permission to run them, I'll try to dig into it, but maybe there is some problems with the zip itself.

Upvote 0
There seems to be a problem with the ROM, at least on my phone. I've wiped everything, data, cache, dalvik cache, but after flashing the update, it seems that not all system apk-s were installed, even that they are present in the zip file, the most annoying is that the settings.apk is missing too, so no settings for me. I guess it is possible that the permissions are not right, so the system apps are there, but I don't have permission to run them, I'll try to dig into it, but maybe there is some problems with the zip itself.
the settings.apk is missing too,and volume button for wakeup phone also not working.and not new .apk applications install in this rom.
for setting.apk 1st install catty62 rom 1.5,0 then install http://www.datafilehost.com/download-8154d027.html after this
my zte u960 running very well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones