1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root ZTE Warp 4G Bricked?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by randjav15, Jan 2, 2014.

1. randjav15

randjav15 Member

Yeah, I'm in FTM

Advertisement

2. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Ok, type the following into the terminal and press enter:
    Code (Text):
    1. adb kill-server
    type the following into the terminal and press enter:
    Code (Text):
    1. sudo adb devices
    press [Enter] or click ok on the popup

3. randjav15

randjav15 Member

I got

sh: sudo: not found

4. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

whoops, my bad. Forgot this is not ubuntu lol. type the following into the terminal and press enter:
    Code (Text):
    1. su
    Code (Text):
    1. root
    Code (Text):
    1. adb devices
    Oh, your phone that is in ftm mode...is the usb cable plugged in to the phone and the pc?

5. randjav15

randjav15 Member

Yes it is plugged in.

I just typed us and it asked for a password

Su*

6. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

The password is root, the second thing you were supposed to type and press enter after ;)

7. randjav15

randjav15 Member

Yeah but it won't let me. I'm typing root and it won't show up.

8. randjav15

randjav15 Member

Okay, I got it. Had a stupid moment. I'm still seeing question marks. :/

9. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

it is working, and it won't show up. That is how linux terminal works for root passwords

10. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

ok, well lets give it a shot. If you are getting question marks it at least knows there is a device. It may not work though. Continue from my post earlier after adb devices :)

11. randjav15

randjav15 Member

I have cwm now.
    It works!
    Thank you so much! I am really appreciative! I just got this phone for Christmas and my mom got it for me. It would have been really disappointing if I messed this up. Never again downloading a font lol.

12. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Glad to hear it :) When you are ready to go back to your regular computer, click the bottom far left button and choose logout. Choose reboot system from the pulldown menu and click ok. If you changed the boot order in bios, it might try to boot to the cd again if it is still in the drive. Enjoy!

13. bcrichster

bcrichster ROMinator

I use the font installer in ROM toolbox by JRummy. It's been safe & flawless so far and yes, I used it on this Warp4G. I installed the Cardo font.

14. cooldudezach

cooldudezach Android Enthusiast

Just so you know, fastboot flash [whatever] more than likely doesn't work on the warplte, since it doesn't work on the source or the awe. It sits on "writing..." forever.

15. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Thanks for the info. We did not use fastboot flash, we used fastboot boot cwm.img. Then you can flash roms from cwm on the device while it's booted from the image. It's a neat little workaround :)

roadkill42 likes this.
  16. junkie2100

junkie2100 Android Expert

yea, dont ever flash roms without cwm INSTALLED. thats what killed it... and now its irreversable. you can boot it to flash it, but never boot it to flash roms kuz if something goes wrong like it did theres no going back

17. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Actually, this works fine. If you have problems with the rom you can boot back to the image and restore backups or flash new roms just like if you had it installed. A bit more of a pain than installing in my opinion but it works.

18. junkie2100

yes it does, unless the roms unbootable and that in turn breaks ftm... then you have no adb access and you cant get back to the bootloader

19. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

Right, but that is apparently not the case here as he has adb access.

20. junkie2100

well in this instance yes he did get adb access, but in the newer thread after he got cwm to work just booted he no longer has ftm or a bootable rom...
    http://androidforums.com/boost-mobile-warp-4g-all-things-root/814367-stuck.html
    the only adb available is that of sideload which believe me i have tried to get to do anything but sideload, it wont. and to my knowledge stock recovery cant sideload an unofficial zip

21. junkie2100

ftm seems to be tied directly to the rom on these 8930 devices, if the rom fails in the wrong way, then ftm fails, and if both fail and all youre left with is stock recovery, you can only rma it. had cwm been installed and not just temporarily booted, the phone would have been salvageable

22. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

ah. and of course he used the unmodified stock rom which at the time said UNTESTED and may not have booted properly. May need to return to radio shack after all.

23. SuperR

SuperR Android Expert
    Recognized Developer

I think he flashed cwm using the first flashable i put together, but i don't know if it worked . I made a second one too but i don't know if either of them work. No feedback makes working on a device you don't own difficult lol

850SPUD likes this.
  24. junkie2100

yep, it sucks but i learned that from a guy with a cricket source, he had the same thing happen basically. there was no comin back from it, i tried hard as i could but there was just nothing that could be done at that point. i wouldnt have seen it coming either, so dont blame yourself, i just want the warning out there that you dont want to flash things without cwm installed kuz you could end up with a brick like this

SuperR likes this.
  25. junkie2100

lol yea, but if it was just booted and used, all bad. boot and use it to install cwm, then make sure it installed