• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Write Protection for ZMAX and other ZTE phones

Did it work am I rooted? Do I have rw?.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-06-24-15-02-19.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-24-15-02-19.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 323
  • Screenshot_2016-06-24-14-57-36.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-24-14-57-36.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 383
  • Screenshot_2016-06-24-14-57-15.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-24-14-57-15.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 716
  • Screenshot_2016-06-24-14-50-12.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-24-14-50-12.png
    183.6 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_2016-06-24-14-51-00.png
    Screenshot_2016-06-24-14-51-00.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
This was found by me, I can not believe it was this easy
To turn off nand / system write protection on the ZTE ZMAX and maybe other phones

WORKS ON
ZTE ZMAX 2 (unlocked (LEO) Z955a)
ZTE ZMAX
ZTE CONCORD 2
ZTE Grand x3
ZTE Grand S Pro n9835
ZTE Prestige N9132
ZTE Grand X Max + on Cricket Wireless
ZTE Zinger

DOES NOT WORK ON
ZTE WHIRL 1
ZTE WHIRL 2
ZTE ZMAX 2 (Z958 (LOL) ATT GO)
ZTE Warp Elite
ZTE Max+ n9521

You should use this before you use your rooting utility, like Kingo Root

run this command in adb shell or terminal

reboot disemmcwp

to re-enable write protection issue this command

reboot emmcwpenab

I AM A FARKING GENIUS

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Like

If you would like to buy me a beer , you can click on the PayPal button

Okay can you please guide me.... I have been trying since I saw this post i have the ZTE 959 installed busy box nonprofit version opened the terminal and type the reboot disemmcwp tells me command invalid I know I'm doing something wrong. Can you please let me know?

Upvote 0
Okay can you please guide me.... I have been trying since I saw this post i have the ZTE 959 installed busy box nonprofit version opened the terminal and type the reboot disemmcwp tells me command invalid I know I'm doing something wrong. Can you please let me know?

the phone needs to be rooted if you are going to use terminal and issue that command

if the phone is not rooted yet, you should hook it up to the computer and issue the command with adb

adb reboot disemmcwp

then use Kingo Root to root it

use google to search for tutorials on how to get adb working, I am not going to write instructions for that, there are instructions for adb all over the place

Upvote 0
Let's get twrp going for ZTE grand x3. It's a good device. I can't seem to get into the bootloader. Whether I issue the command in adb or even select reboot bootloader from the stock recovery it makes no difference. It has an OEM unlock option in developer options. I have that checked, but I can't believe unlocking a bootloader no one can boot to is that simple.

Upvote 0
Let's get twrp going for ZTE grand x3. It's a good device. I can't seem to get into the bootloader. Whether I issue the command in adb or even select reboot bootloader from the stock recovery it makes no difference. It has an OEM unlock option in developer options. I have that checked, but I can't believe unlocking a bootloader no one can boot to is that simple.

The OEM unlock option might be there just because they (the developers with zte) were too lazy to remove it

Reactions: Txdude34 and jhoak1
Upvote 0
This was found by me, I can not believe it was this easy
To turn off nand / system write protection on the ZTE ZMAX and maybe other phones

WORKS ON
ZTE ZMAX 2 (unlocked (LEO) Z955a)
ZTE ZMAX
ZTE CONCORD 2
ZTE Grand x3
ZTE Grand S Pro n9835
ZTE Prestige N9132
ZTE Grand X Max + on Cricket Wireless
ZTE Zinger

DOES NOT WORK ON
ZTE WHIRL 1
ZTE WHIRL 2
ZTE ZMAX 2 (Z958 (LOL) ATT GO)
ZTE Warp Elite
ZTE Max+ n9521

You should use this before you use your rooting utility, like Kingo Root

run this command in adb shell or terminal

reboot disemmcwp

to re-enable write protection issue this command

reboot emmcwpenab

I AM A FARKING GENIUS

If I have helped you, and you like my work, please click on the Like

If you would like to buy me a beer , you can click on the PayPal button

After stumbling upon this amazing discovery, what root method did you use?

Upvote 0
Have you installed the ADB tool on your PC? I had to do that on mine, and it worked like a charm! I'm already deleting system apps as I type this.

Upvote 0
Finally rooted .... this is the only problem I can see that I'm having ........... i would like a different rom like broken...

Hearing from MasterChief the ZMAX Roms do in fact work on the Max+, Problem is, And the only problem, You cannot fix the Camera.

EDIT:Also, You can update the binary for SuperSU TWRP wise. Does a couple reboots and that won't pop up anymore.

Reactions: Zte z987 cricket
Upvote 0
Here it is, folks: this method works on Z777 1.6.9 as well. Rooted my Cricket phone a few hours ago. Props to the OP for finding this as this phone as been unrootable forever. I just wanted to deleted unused apps. But now, man, I'm hoping for more, perhaps a custom firmware. Looking at the ect/dev directory, I think it may be possible? To repeat, to all you Z777 users out there, this method works. Long time coming. If only to delete default apps and give us some breathing room.

Upvote 0
Your method works perfectly on my Z955A. I have root and am happy. I've been a fan of yours since my ZTE Warp days. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. You rock!

Edit: I use MetroPCS and their hotspot tethering. Rooting breaks tethering. I'm not sure whether it's just being rooted or using Kingoroot that caused the problem. I think it's Kingoroot. Since unrooting, my tethering has gone back to normal. If you use a Z955A on Metro, and use wireless tethering, you may want to hold off on rooting.

Last edited:
Reactions: hroark13
Upvote 0
darklordjord, your phone is decent enough I bet you get a custom firmware in a little while. Mine is pretty much trash, so I'm not expecting it, but I'm hoping. If there's anything I can do for CFW makers I'm willing to dump whatever they need to get it working... but yeah.

In any event, OP, add Z777 to your OP, I was able to root it. It's probably not a popular brand/model but there are lots of scams out there about rooting it, and if this managed to get on Google's results it'd help people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones