• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Zmax coming to Metro?

Vyrus69

Android Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2011
Miami, FL
Credit goes to Tmonews.com

ZTE ZMAX on its way to MetroPCS too? » TmoNews

This is a steal if its around the $249 / $279 price point, especially with that much internal storage.
Not to mention its Band 2 compliant, and HUGE battery.

Earlier this month, T-Mobile and ZTE finally announced that they would be launching the long-rumored ZMAX. Of course, we’d known it previously known as “Olympia” or “Z970″. The device features some admirable specs for a mid-range phone, and it looks like it’s on its way to MetroPCS too. A company inventory system shows the device in its list of available options and has it down as the “Z970 Olympia”.

As a reminder, the ZMAX features the following specs:

5.7-inch, 720p LCD display
1.2GHz quad-core processor
LTE bands 2, 4, 7, 12, 17
2GB RAM
16GB storage with option to expand via MicroSD
3,400mAh battery
Android KitKat 4.4
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz/5GHz)
Wi-Fi calling
Bluetooth 4.0
T-Mobile is selling the device for $252 full retail ($10.50/mo on EIP with $0 down). Which – judging from the specs – is an absolute steal. Yet another example of a mid-range device which should offer a fantastic experience.

We’re yet to see MetroPCS officially announce the device, or its pricing. But it looks as though it is on its way soon.

eh, so a larger screen, but dev support will be dead, dont expect much in terms of updates or kernel source. i think the slightly smaller moto g for 50 bucks less would still be a better buy :/

The extra gig of ram though on the zte would be tough to pass up. The g is quick on only one gig but it has really aggresive background app closing that gets annoying if you multitask alot.

Upvote 0
They do have a financing plan if you qualify for it.
I got a zmax for my wife, it's a great phone, no reason we won't see a developer release a root methods for this phone unless it somehow falls through the cracks. Maybe we could set up a go fund me and when a developer comes up with a working root methods they get the monies.

Upvote 0
By any chance is the Financing available with Metro

Financing maybe available through Metro... But I just bought this phone yesterday for $99. A great deal for a great phone. I also purchased a Nexus 6 and was just going to pass my N5 to my wife... But I don't think she realizes what a great device she just passed up for the ZTE Zmax over the N5 (in mint condition) I think she seen the large screen and price point and was sold. Now what to do with the N5!? o_O
Keep it as a spare backup device or sell it.
Now if I could figure out his to unlock, root and flash custom ROMs on the Zmax.

Reactions: Trevor Philips
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones