• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE ZMAX Pro (Z981) "off topic" root discussion

I just rooted my note 3 after dl the app off the Samsung site. Installed it at 10 pm, let it sit till 8 am, got up think it said 54 percent then I hit continue and it finished but said it failed and I would need to do it again. I closed king root and to my suprize, I had root, I had root options in es file explorer , link2sd, ect. It worked for 2 boots, before I thought it was to good to be true. Then read some xda forum's and unintalled it per king root instructions and other than losing root and tripping the knox, my phone is 100 % and no extra Internet traffic to China . Although it only ran 2 hours with root, so I have a lot to change. Good luck.

Reactions: cyanidekid
Upvote 0
Problem is that very few and6 are rooted. So once we get root if we do, we could be facing a lot of support issues anyway. Shit we might only gain read write for a year or so. I'm regretting buying this phone smh
I will admit the root process is a challenge. But some of us like that. U can't achieve greatness without one. Say we get root and make the phone greater. At some point you get bored and it's on to the next one. I think we got a great deal, should enjoy it while it last and continue to try and achieve root. Think of it this way you can always get a second phone and use it for dev...

Upvote 0
Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
KingRoot and kingoroot still fail. Perhaps it isn't as simple as an adb commands to disable emmc write protection for us ZMAX pro users. However, if testing is needed for helping purposes, I have insurance on my handset, so I'm willing to go full force into whatever... (powduh09@gmail.com) hangouts, or whatever is necessary...
Just be careful with that. Your warranty or insurance exclude damage caused by hacking. Even obtaining root on a device that can easily be done so, voids warranty and insurance. They specifically don't want this situation where people are just screwing around and break things. Doesn't make sense cost wise to replace a phone you may even break again trying to root. Just a word to the wise

Reactions: lambo352
Upvote 0
Back in the day of flash counters it was easy to tell if you had modded your device, moto had their big bootloader warning, samsung the exclimation symbol and so on. Now days its more messing up the system folder of a bootloader locked device, giving several random msgs on devices about not being able to boot properly (espescially lg bleh) I cop these off for "my phone died half way through an update". Even go on to itterate to the sales advocate that this is why updates and android ask you to charge up 50% before accepting updates and such, because of possible corruption to the system folder etc, tell em it died during update man! Hope it helps with any bricked devices.

Reactions: enesha
Upvote 0
If it's bricked while attempting root, though, that seems like a legit concern. Maybe that's what they were talking about.
Seriously??? If you insurance, $50 nobody cares especially MetroPCS. If you have previously abused the handset exchange insurance program. Like filling a claim every year for some reason. Yes, you might have an issue. For everybody else, nobody will even look at your phone. It will automatically be replaced.. literally... Can we move on?

Reactions: JIMMYHENDRIX
Upvote 0
I honestly agree like I said I work there and most people here are just rocks with zero common sense. But insurance is actually through a third party company so that I'm not really sure what their policy is as far as looking at phones in verifying whether or not that they've been rooted or tampered with in any way.
Not an issue if you report it lost or stolen, then there'll end up being a way to unbrick the phone come up soon after root is figured out.

Btw: Happy Holidays folks!

Upvote 0
its xmas, and... still looking into it

You Guys Are Like A Pack Of Pit-Bulls...:cool:
You will not let go until you get what you want... :D

MERRY GOSH DARN XMAS AND HAPPY 2017 TO EVERYONE!!!

Keep those lock-jawed grips on a Root Access Exploit... You'll Bite Your Way In.. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Merry Christmas to all. Only way it can get any better, is having root/recovery for Christmas. However, I do understand everyone being away from this today. Everyone should be spending time with family and friends today. With that being said, whatever you're doing, be safe, have fun, and remember the reason for the season..... I for one am thankful that so many have pooled in efforts to find a way to get us out of this rootless bind...

Upvote 0
My phone no longer claims to be rooted merry Christmas everybody

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161225-121733.png
    Screenshot_20161225-121733.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones