• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE ZMAX Pro (Z981) root discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys i fell asleep last night and woke up this morning and kingroot had finished and said it had root but there was a root auth error but i had the screen for root protection and everything but when i tried to use es file explorer and tick root browaer it failed just a heads up. With king root it went to 100 for. Me but gave root auth error

If you saw root protection options, you definitely had temporary root going there. This is good news :)

But, it doesn't matter how quick you are. If you manage to get to 100%, get temporary root again, that phone is going to forcefully reboot itself (wiping out the temp root) long before you get far enough with a file explorer to start trashing system files LOL.... Perhaps if one could somehow stop the phone from rebooting itself AFTER getting temp root, that could be another good step in the right direction.

Did you use KingRoot .apk or the PC version?

You might also wanna try KingoRoot PC, that got further than KingRoot has.

Reactions: vickersg
Upvote 0
If you saw root protection options, you definitely had temporary root going there. This is good news :)

But, it doesn't matter how quick you are. If you manage to get to 100%, get temporary root again, that phone is going to forcefully reboot itself (wiping out the temp root) long before you get far enough with a file explorer to start trashing system files LOL.... Perhaps if one could somehow stop the phone from rebooting itself AFTER getting temp root, that could be another good step in the right direction.

Kingroot has given me root auth errors a few different times over the last month or so. Maybe 5 of 50 attempts. Never reached over 55% completion. I've never seen any proof of temp root either. It's just a failure of kingroot app.

Last edited:
Reactions: lambo352
Upvote 0
Yes but if he can successfully replace stock recovery with twrp using said method, all that would need to be done to obtain root is flash SuperSU
If we get root we can flash a recovery. Since getting root should be way easier then blindly flashing twrp (and with out the stock recovery img) my point is still valid: Gaining root should take prescience over replacing the recovery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys i fell asleep last night and woke up this morning and kingroot had finished and said it had root but there was a root auth error but i had the screen for root protection and everything but when i tried to use es file explorer and tick root browaer it failed just a heads up. With king root it went to 100 for. Me but gave root auth error

Mine did the same thing a couple of days ago. It didn't have root but it made it to 100% and said it did.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, a couple of things:

1. Please refrain from directing negative comments towards another member (we don't roll that way :))

2. Given the length of threads like this, there are bound to be folks that do not and will not read through the entire thread--lol, it happens on every forum and I'm pretty sure it's not going to stop :p; those that patiently and politely reply to the folks that may not have kept up with things are most likely to be the recipient of appreciative "Likes" :)

3. I'm still willing (and I'm sure with @Masterchief87's blessing) to update the OP with a link to a post here that will be updated with the latest and growing list of items that have been tried, so that folks can see that when they read the OP or you can refer them to said post when asking "where do things stand?" or "has anyone tried this?", etc. Let me know if you're willing to make and maintain such a post...

Thanks!

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Screenshot that chit! [emoji41]

Upvote 0
I downloaded the update , checked it and found boot/recovery patchs in the patch folder and i think The best thing to try now is to replace the recovery.img.p by twrp's recovery.img and modify the update script to erase the old recovery and flash the new one also i don't think that will work with those who already updated as the update script have some check lines that will prevent reapplying the ota update so it will need to be edited in case of reapplying the ota although it needs to be doing carefully to avoid system fcs and errors as we don't have stock rom to flash in case of something is going wrong.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the files you mentioned.. I was hoping you would know if it can work..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Confirmed?! Or switched onto the other thread? Cuz yea, I don't play that. At all

Are we talking about edited or deleted posts here?

If so, there were no posts edited or deleted today...there was one yesterday.

If anyone wishes to discuss these things, there's always the Report button, a PM (Conversation), or Private Chat with Moderators--but no more here in the open forum.

Reactions: Krlypumaa
Upvote 0
Listen you guys I understand some may be critical if I did actually have kingroot actualy seem like it was rooted. It completed and said root auth error but I was able to access the part of kingroot that had root protection and was actually able to go into the root options and allow the adb prompt access to granted instead of "ask". I cannot give a screenshot because I already have restarted the phone. And like I said earlier it didn't actually have root it just acted like it did.

I have no reason to BS anyone. IT DID HAPPEN. I don't have proof because I already restarted, now it doesnt even let me try to root even after clearing cache and data on app settings for king user.

I just want to make it clear. What happened did happen. Maybe it was a bug, but guess what thats where exploits come from. I just wanted to make it clear, what I said DID happen and I want root as bad as everyone else, and when we all stick together we will get it. I am trying to repeat the process as we speak.

Reactions: str8upx
Upvote 0
Might not.. drummer is the original dirty cow I think.. and when I ran the apk as XDA instructed it seemed to go on and on forever in some Linux language I think only a seasoned dev can understand..

Can you post what the linux command output was of the exploit, I could give you a clear discription of what it was saying. I have used linux for over 10 years and work with the command line daily.

Upvote 0
Mine did the same thing a couple of days ago. It didn't have root but it made it to 100% and said it did.

See we have another member who had the same experience. Trust me I know how you feel lol, I almost Sh*t my pants when I realized that the root I thought I had in reality wasn't :( but I still take it as a positive note that we may be getting closer.

Upvote 0

I used the Kingroot app, I got 100% then a root auth error but was in the actually screen on king root that gives the root options as if you actually have temp root or root, such as privilege granting permissions such as, "ask", "granted", or "denied", I changed "ADB Prompt" to "Granted" and tried to use adb shell then su but to no avail :( Also I tried to use ES File Explorer to set the option root explorer but it didn't grant it. Also my phone did not reboot until I actually rebooted it myself the next day.

Upvote 0
This is what I get.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161130-222748.png
    Screenshot_20161130-222748.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20161130-222818.png
    Screenshot_20161130-222818.png
    102 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot_20161130-223041.png
    Screenshot_20161130-223041.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0
Can you post what the linux command output was of the exploit, I could give you a clear discription of what it was saying. I have used linux for over 10 years and work with the command line daily.
I couldnt even understand what I was looking at.. I'll do better.. here's the apk..

Attachments

• drammer.apk
    1.7 MB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
I couldnt even understand what I was looking at.. I'll do better.. here's the apk..
It is a simple app that checks to see if you are vulnerable to the ROWHAMMER attack.
Flipping bits on or off in memory until something happens.
I've been using the app for a week straight. Never got a bit to flip.
The creators acknowledged that the apk isn't perfect.

Upvote 0
See we have another member who had the same experience. Trust me I know how you feel lol, I almost Sh*t my pants when I realized that the root I thought I had in reality wasn't :( but I still take it as a positive note that we may be getting closer.
It is a step.. Try executing the reboot disemmcwp terminal cmd and see if that helps KR get perma Root the next time

Upvote 0
OK everyone who is getting the prompt from Kingroot that doens't even allow you to attempt to root needs to drag the kingroot app from their app drawer and drag it to app info then go in and clear data and cache and restart Kingroot and it will allow you to attempt. From here maybe we will get another bug situation.

As long as you clear data and cache in King roots app info it will allow you to try rooting as much as you want regardless of the fact it said no exploit available.

Also be aware these are the things I have done to my device:

1. I have taken the update (Regardless of the rule of all people who root meaning dont update i chose to)

2. I have activated the hidden developers options and activated OEM Unlock and USB Debugging.

3. I have my phone encrypted with a pin (which may hinder my rooting process, dont know)

Last edited:
Reactions: lambo352
Upvote 0
Also has anyone tried to use a man in the middle web proxy tool such as Fiddler or Burp Suite to Man in the Middle and Sniff the data connection from the Metropcs servers to capture the update files that the device is receiving while updating? You could connect the phone to wifi on your network and from your laptop run a Man in the Middle attack with said proxy tools to capture the update packages going to your phone

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones