1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root ZTE ZMAX Z970 - SuperSu - Mac OS X Terminal - Permanently Root

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bobcat72, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Bobcat72

Bobcat72 Newbie

Mar 20, 2016
    Female
    Please, Please, Please I Need Your Assistance

Dear Sir or Madam:

Hi, again! Okay, my ZTE ZMAX Z970 is permanently rooted now but I couldn’t setup the SuperSu in the Mac OS X terminal because it was difficult to understand how to do it (I needed the setup of SuperSu to be explained to me in layman terms). Could you please help me setup the SuperSu in the Mac OS X terminal but I need the instructions in layman terms where I can understand it. Thank you for your consideration and time.

Sincerely,

Juliet Nour

Houston Texas

Advertisement

#1 Bobcat72, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    SuperSU is an android superuser app. You download it from the Play Store to the phone, run it, and that's it. If you need to update your superuser binary it will tell you and offer to do it for you. Otherwise you just use your phone normally, and if one of your apps needs root permissions SuperSU will pop-up and ask you whether it should grant those permissions. That really is all there is to it.

So I don't think that the OSX terminal is relevant to this. If you need to run an OSX terminal command as superuser then you should type "sudo" before the command name, e.g. "sudo rm ...." - this tells OSX that you want to run that particular command as the superuser. You need to be logged in to an admin account to use this (it will ask for your password before executing the command).

P.S. where are my manners? Welcome to the forum :)

scary alien likes this.
  3. Bobcat72

Bobcat72 Newbie

Mar 20, 2016
    Female
    Thank you, Hadron....

4. Bobcat72

Bobcat72 Newbie

Mar 20, 2016
    Female
    Dear Hadron:

I have tried both of your answered but nothing really came out of that but I have already downloaded the application SuperSu onto my ZTE ZMAX Z970 4.4.4 but it isn’t doing anything. It doesn’t even work!!!! This is driving me out of my mind. Please could you write the whole sudo code out for me. Don’t forget to use layman terms. Thank you for your consideration and time.

Sincerely,

Juliet Nour

~ P.S. ~ Thank you for your warm welcome!!!!

#4 Bobcat72, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    @Bobcat72, welcome to AF!
    I recommend you remove your email address to prevent spam or spam bots crawling the forums looking for email addresses ;)
    Good luck with your devices' issue, sorry I can't help with that :(

scary alien and Masterchief87 like this.
  6. Bobcat72

Bobcat72 Newbie

Mar 20, 2016
    Female
    Thanks, Mikestony

Mikestony likes this.
  7. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    As I say, I don't know what you want to do with the OSX terminal (you do mean OSX, not a terminal on the phone? Just to be sure).

Reception SuperSU, what happens if you run it? It should do very little, but if it complains then it would be good to know what it says. Then if you try to open an app that needs root, e.g. Titanium Backup, does SuperSU pop up?

scary alien and Mikestony like this.
  8. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Wait a second here lol....when rooting a device, isn't part of the process to flash a superuser file to the system in order to work with the SuperSU app?
    What I mean is, perhaps she is missing the SuperSu whatever-it's-called? (the one you flash)?

9. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    SuperSU is just an app that you've installed on your phone. It has nothing to do with your Apple computer, nor with the Terminal application on your Apple. SuperSU doesn't require a terminal app on your phone either, it doesn't require you type in commands. It's like all the other apps on your phone, you tap on its icon and something should pop up on your phone's screen. (Well one difference from all your other apps is that it does absolutely require your phone to be rooted to actually function.).
    Just to confirm that your phone is rooted properly, when you do tap on your SuperSU's icon what comes up on your screen?
    If it's some kind of error message than post what it is so we can look it over. If it looks something like the screenshot captures on SuperSU's Google Play page (see below) than you should be OK:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu
    SuperSU while being a vital part of your rooted phone isn't going to be an app you interact with very often. It's interface is, by design, relatively sparse because as a typical user you just don't need to interact with it on a constant basis. It's not like an email app where you're tapping on different buttons and links to do different things, SuperSU's primary function is to operate at a lower level with your phone's system resources.

arkansawdave74 and scary alien like this.
  10. Bobcat72

Bobcat72 Newbie

Mar 20, 2016
    Female
    arkansawdave74 likes this.
  11. Bobcat72

Bobcat72 Newbie

Mar 20, 2016
    Female
    This are the screen shots of error messages.

Attached Files:

12. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Install this root checking app from Google Play to confirm your phone has been rooted properly:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck

-- If it checks out, try uninstalling SuperSU and reinstalling it. (Do not use your Mac, this is all done on your phone and through the Play Store app on your phone.) Go to your Settings >> Application manager and find the SuperSU app. Click on it, tap the 'Force stop' button, then the 'Clear data' button, then the 'Uninstall' button. Now go to Google Play to reinstall SuperSU:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu
    Now launch the SuperSU app on your phone and see if it's functioning.
    -- If Root Checker doesn't indicate your phone is rooted, you could try going through the root process again. How did you root your ZTE originally? There's an active forum on rooting your model:
    http://androidforums.com/forums/root-zte-zmax.3045/

#12 svim, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    scary alien and Mikestony like this.
  13. Telyx

Telyx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2015
    Male
    Garden City, MI, USA
    The ZMAX is a weirdo where root is concerned because something in the boot partition locks the system partition down even if you have root. This link has some good instructions for the rooting process and links to the files needed.
    http://androidforums.com/threads/rooting-instructions-for-4-4-4-build-b13-4-4-2-build-b33.967646/
    I would sum it up like this:

Download the files mentioned in the post (KingRoot, TWRP installer app, and SuperSU update zip) to your phone. You don't need a computer to do this.

Install KingRoot and the TWRP installer. DO NOT RUN THE TWRP INSTALLER YET.

Run KingRoot and let it do its thing. When you get a "success" message, DO NOT REBOOT or you'll be stuck with KingRoot and KingUser. Go into the KingRoot settings and enable root privileges. DO NOT REBOOT.

Run the TWRP installer app. When you get a "success" message, DO NOT REBOOT--instead, uninstall KingRoot and Purify. THEN reboot into TWRP and flash the SuperSU update zip.

Reboot system.

Now, to get write access to your system, you need the "switcher" and "restore" zips found in this thread:
    http://androidforums.com/threads/flashable-zips-for-system-r-w-updated-7-20-15.919330/

MAKE SURE you download the correct ones for your phone's carrier and software version. Download them to your phone.

When you want to make changes to your system, flash the "switcher" zip. This swaps the bootloader and recovery to each other's partitions--after the swap, you choose the option to boot to recovery and it actually boots Android with system read-write capability.

After you're done making system changes, reboot your phone normally--this will actually boot TWRP--and flash the "restore" zip. After it's done flashing, your bootloader and recovery will be in their correct partitions, so reboot system (ignore the "No OS installed!" message) and your phone will reboot normally.

14. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Excellent reply @Telyx , thank you!
    Also, moved the thread into the root forum that @svim posted ;)

Tags: