• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZV4 update reflash LAF?

ODGeek

Sep 25, 2011
Does the OTA V4 update restore the LAF partition?

If not, could one follow the instructions elsewhere to zero-out the LAF partition (thus enabling fastboot), and accept the OTA V4 update. Then could one boot into fastboot and use the CWM recovery to flash superuser & gain root access that way???

Edit updated question with OTA update, not the ZV4 zip file...

Is it possible to keep root with the OTA V4 update the following way???

1. Zero out LAF partition, and load CWM using fastboot.
  2. Use CWM to flash the OTA V4 update zip file (that I've copied out of the /cache directory from my device). DO NOT REBOOT YET!!!
  3. Use CWM to flash the Superuser.zip file (downloaded from the ZV4 thread)
  4. Reboot to the newly updated & rooted device???
Not that I don't trust the ZV4 rom that is posted elsewhere...Just curious if this possible for those of us who want to "roll it ourself"?

Upvote 0
donjuro said:
I posted this in another thread. That's what I did to create the ROM, but there's a few lines you have to remove from the updater script that checks for your device.

I wasn't sure if I could edit the updater-script and have it still work with the signature checking that appears to be in the updater.zip files. Thank you for your response.

Looking at the OTA updater-script, I don't see where LAF partition gets reflashed, unless that is part of the radio or kernel update???

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by ODGeek

Is it possible to keep root with the OTA V4 update the following way???

1. Zero out LAF partition, and load CWM using fastboot.

2. Use CWM to flash the OTA V4 update zip file (that I've copied out of the /cache directory from my device). DO NOT REBOOT YET!!!

3. Use CWM to flash the Superuser.zip file (downloaded from the ZV4 thread)

4. Reboot to the newly updated & rooted device???

Not that I don't trust the ZV4 rom that is posted elsewhere...Just curious if this possible for those of us who want to "roll it ourself"?

UPDATE:

This did not work for me. I must have missed a step somehow...Both zip files said they successfully installed...Not sure what I did (or did not do) that caused me to lose root. RATS!!! Oh well, at least the "update downloaded" thinggy has been disabled :-|

EDIT:

/system/xbin/su is still there...permissions no longer 4755 (SUID), so of course, it doesn't work...

EDIT#2

/system/xbin/su still there on wife's newly updated & unrooted phone... Hers ended up with permissions of 4755 (-rwsr-xr-x), but su doesn't work on her handset anymore, either... Double RATS. At least all the disabled crapware stayed disabled through the process...

Upvote 0
All I did to create the ROM was extract the zip, edit the updater script to take out the lines that check to see if your device is x5 or something like that, from right after the part where it mounts the /system to right before (I think the next part would be) where it starts to check your apps for integrity, saved it, rezipped it, booted to cwm, flashed it, flashed superuser by koush. Done.

Upvote 0
All I did to create the ROM was extract the zip, edit the updater script to take out the lines that check to see if your device is x5 or something like that, from right after the part where it mounts the /system to right before (I think the next part would be) where it starts to check your apps for integrity, saved it, rezipped it, booted to cwm, flashed it, flashed superuser by koush. Done.
How do you update the binarys on koushs SU I've tried installing it and uninstalling supersu and it will only give the option to update via recovery? As with supersu gives you 2 choices with manual! I know it's a bit of topic but it's helpful to know, I've used that SU with my old Galaxy Prevail running CT Mod 3,80 I believe! Worked good!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones