1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

ZVC to ZVH - What is the proper way to get update and root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vapore0n, Sep 19, 2011.

1. vapore0n

vapore0n Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2010
    Im oneof those that avoided the ZVD update to keep hotspot functionality without having to root. Now I want to upgrade, see if the phone is less buggy with the updated OS.

What is the proper way to get to ZVH and have root?
    Update VZD though the LG update utility then follow the guide to ZVH?

Here is a link on how to get to ZVD
    [HOW TO] Return to 100% Stock ROM and Recovery! - PPCGeeks

Would gingersnapwork on ZVC?

Advertisement

2. vapore0n

vapore0n Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2010
    Doing some reasearch, this seems to be the plan

VC ->VD ->V9 ->VH ->Root

Can someone correct me on this?

3. Pierocksmysock

None

Jul 3, 2011
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Yeah unfortunately I ran the update without really paying attention. Got caught up in the lust for gingerbread. So... I did the following:

Ran LG utility and reverted to V9: [How-to] Revert to LS670V9, after installing OTA LS670VC/VD, using KP500 (Diag mode) - Android Forums, rooted using z4root: [APP] z4root - xda-developers (you can use whatever method tickles your fancy..personally I'm just lazy and like "one click" solutions). Once I was rooted on V9, I followed the instructions provided by some of the forum members: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH - Android Forums

Total time was about 45 minutes ish (mostly because my wife was in a hurry to go someplace and told me I had to finish by the time she was ready to leave...or else).

By the way much thanks to the folks who made this method possible!

4. Pierocksmysock

None

Jul 3, 2011
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Oh...and promptly downloaded wireless tether, granted su to the app, and enjoyed my intranetz.

vapore0n likes this.
  5. vapore0n

vapore0n Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2010
    awesome. Im still debating updating, just because a lot of people are having problems.
    Then again, id like to see if this update fixes all the bugs I see on my set. Like Maps hanging when I let the screen sleep (only while GPS is on), and Calendar crashing all the time (have to force kill to fix).

6. goldcharizard

goldcharizard Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    Okay well i am a complete noob to andriod let alone rooting but I am sick and tired of sprint id and bloatware I updated to 2.3.3 because the phone told me to (big mistake):eek:. I have countless problems since the updated and I am considering rooting to fix them but being a complete noob i have no idea how to do any of the stuff above..Im handy with computers but smart phpones are different animal is there anyone that can help me :thinking:

7. vapore0n

vapore0n Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2010

See the third post
    [How-to] Revert to LS670V9, after installing OTA LS670VC/VD, using KP500 (Diag mode) - Android Forums

This should help you go back to V9, and some people have just gone straight to VD.

8. vapore0n

vapore0n Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2010
  9. Mountainbiker

Mountainbiker Member
    None

Dec 20, 2009
    Hi,
    I have not updated from ZVC built to keep my hotspot funcionality, but lately I'm having a lot of trouble with my gmail and data network. Gmail will no sync all the time, I checked the settings, cleared the cache and data, it works for a couple of days and then stops sync, even reverting to the stock gmail app did not help. Also, sometimes my data network does not connect even though I have the data bars, so I have to re-start the phone to get functionality again.
    Will rooting solve these problems?

Thanks,

10. jonwilliams806

None

Jun 18, 2011
    Scratch that original post, the ZVD update sprint has posted at:

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtml

is not a viable option for reverting to ZVD one of the android.acorn files is corrupted and constantly forcecloses and disables your phone calling feature/contacts all together. My original post stated that this could be a viable revert option, so I wanted to correct this.

11. jonwilliams806

None

Jun 18, 2011
    I DEFINITELY recommend rooting if you're still before ZV9/ZVH. The latest Sprint software I ran was LS670ZVD and it was also buggy. I ran the latest nightly of CM7 and saw SIGNIFICANT improvements from battery life to data transmission. The only downside the CM7 on the Optimus S is that it's a dead ROM, no longer supported. The only remaining bugs I've found myself and forums, is bluetooth won't work, and built in equalizer problems that result in overall lower sound: Speakerphone, Ringers, etc. It's not dramatic but if the phone already isn't loud enough for you think twice about this ROM. This however is the best ROM I've found for the Optimus. Data speeds 3G went from around 300 KBPS to about 600 kbps though so major there. And battery life was pushed to about two FULL days with surfing, app use, texting, and phone calls so MAJOR gain there. I'm now an Evo, they're free right now with upgrade, consider buying out your contract, it's actually pretty cheap. Running CM7 on Evo now and it's not buggy AT ALL, VERY impressed. But definitely consider rooting and flashing a ROM if bluetooth isn't a big deal for you. I don't remember how to root ZVC but I rooted my ZVD with Gingersnap, VERY easy, give it a try. If gingersnap won't work, there's other options.
    Start here:
    http://androidforums.com/optimus-s-...us-s-rooting-roms-themes-unbrick-methods.html

Good Luck!!!