• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.2 has killed my battery

Justincase

Aug 28, 2010
Ever since forcing my phone to update to 2.2 it has made my phone unusable. Where I used to get more than 24 hours with a full charge and light use I now am lucky to get 8 hours. I've tried every trick to get more battery life and nothing works. I even went so far as to return my phone to factory setting from the boot menu.

any other ideas aside from throwing my phone down the stairs and using the insurance?

I know a lot of Droid users that have had to do a hard reset after Froyo. My girlfriend's Droid was acting up too, but she found that after she updated all of her apps, the battery issues went away.

I would be curious what you see if you check under Settings > About phone > Battery use.

-Mitch

Oh, I also wanted to add that the Facebook app seems to be draining my battery a lot. I had it syncing with my contacts constantly. I disabled Facebook syncing and gained a ton of battery life. That seems to be a common issue since many people run Facebook.

Upvote 0
Also, you have to remember that:

1. Automatically running task killers that repeatedly kill tasks are simply gonna kill your battery - especially as those tasks keep trying to reload and your app keeps trying to kill them.
  2. The new FroYo comes Overclocked just a bit - but just enough to make a difference - not the only reason, but a contributing factor as to why your battery life is going to be a bit shorter than before
  3. All your apps were installed under 2.1 - and 2.2 has some very different coding in it, so that some (perhaps quite a few, or even a lot) of your apps will be better off being reinstalled - which a factory reset will help you achieve.

Upvote 0
Here is an update, I got the new 2.2 version OTA and my battery has actually gotten WORSE! This is all after a factory reset.

This morning I unplugged my phone with a full charge a 8am. I sent a few gchats until 9:30 when my battery dropped to 80% then was in a two hour meeting. When I came back to my phone around 11 it was down to 50%

In 4h 30m since unplugging my power usage reads as follows:
Display: 38% (I keep it on the lowest brightness)
Android System: 12%
Phone Idle: 10%
Swype: 10%
Cell Standby: 10%
Browser: 6%

Currently at 40% battery.

Any ideas? I have almost no apps installed.

Upvote 0
I had the same problems.

I did the factory reset and it cleared up most of my problems, except that now I can't sync with my company's outlook exchange.

Taskkillers if you have any, you should get rid of.
If you are using push for email you should set that to 15 minutes.

Those two things were my biggest culprits and fixing those helped... but not like the clean wipe did.

My phone was basically going from fully charged at 8am to dead by 2pm with almost no usage.

Upvote 0
I can't figure out why my battery use for "Display" is always very high (50-70%) when all other use is low. I've turned down the brightness and greatly decreased the screen timeout with no luck. Anyone know what kind of apps might be contributing to the display usage? I've been removing apps one at a time trying to find the culprit - even using stock wallpaper. Also going to try the stopping the Facebook contact sync mentioned previously.

Seriously considering the factory reset - frustrated with the battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones