Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    teky, WaSTeLaNd and EarlyMon like this.
  2. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

The article above does not claim that the 2.2 release for the Evo is imminent.

And if this thread were just to say "But HTC overall..." Remember that this is an EVO forum. The above link has to do with the HTC Desire and is in the wrong forum. :rolleyes: I wish it was about the Evo though :(

3. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

That article is not specifically about the Desire. It states the HTC is starting to roll out 2.2 updates to its devices beginning with the Desire. And since the Desire has HTC Sense on it, it's only logical to assume that other devices running sense, including the Evo, aren't far behind in the update schedule and that is now up to Sprint to actually push the update.

4. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

The "maybe, maybe not" is what worries me. Either way... this is a posative. I think its just around the corner... Within 4 to 6 weeks?

5. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

From the article:
    "the company would begin rolling out Android Froyo updates to devices tomorrow, starting with the Desire"

Not just the Desire :rolleyes:

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Great link!

A Froyo rumor and a great tune - who could ask for more?

stainlessray likes this.
  7. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I hope our phones are singer of the last to get updated, seeing as HTC still has to make the right graphics drivers for our HDMI out stuff.

8. horadin

horadin Well-Known Member

If you read the article on android central it says this is for the netherlands.

9. EarlyMon

WaSTeLaNd likes this.
  10. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

It's engadget what do you expect?

Typical headline at engadget ends in question marks.

11. Firemans Wife

Firemans Wife Well-Known Member

Not being a pessimist or anything but, with my beloved hero its been love and hate with the whole update thing. 2.1 was ready for quite sometime before sprint was able to pull it together, add all of the normal bloatware and send it out. There were so many "rumored" release dates it got so old. Finally convinced my husband to root just so we could use the phone for what it was worth and the functions it offered. And finally months later a buggy, laggy, official sprint version started to roll out. What a horrible experience with a phone! Glad to say 8/1/10 I am eligible for an upgrade and, EVO I'm coming aboard!

thaprinze and CriticalCritic like this.
  12. Fubie

Fubie Well-Known Member

13. EarlyMon

edriggers and WaSTeLaNd like this.
  14. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Youre right... Engadget (for the most part) is a joke. way to impulsive.

15. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Predictive text....gotta love it!:D

EarlyMon and stainlessray like this.
  16. ARR22

ARR22 Well-Known Member

Yes you are right it is not EVO specific, BUT its a sign that its coming sooner then later.

17. EarlyMon

Exactly. Uh ... +/- a certain amount of uncertainty. :)

18. 355spider

355spider Well-Known Member

Well considering the last update bricked so many phones, you guys first.

damewolf13 likes this.
  19. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Not holding my breath. During the Hero/Moment 2.1 update fiasco, one circling rumor was that HTC was on top of it and had finished the update for the Hero, but Sprint wasn't going to put it out until the Moment update was also ready. Then there were the reports that the Hero update was flawed in a critical way (maybe something incompatible with sprint bloatware?) and it needed to be delayed.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to be presently surprised... But the final release date is up to Sprint, and I don't have faith in their abilities to be on top of things that are not necessarily critical to their bottom line.

Firemans Wife likes this.
  20. teky

teky Well-Known Member

I never heard a number on that. I suspect it wasn't very many or we would have heard a lot more about it.

This is good, encouraging news. Let's not try to make a sow's ear out of silk purse.

21. ARR22

ARR22 Well-Known Member

To my knowledge the phones that got bricked was because some people tried to apply the update twice.

22. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Well, I'm skeptical...but not cynical. There are a lot of good reasons to believe that HTC will roll this out sooner than later. They need to keep the EVO around for a while and if everything but the EVO get's the upgrade first...they stand to lose a lot. We are really in new territory here. The EVO has actually boosted Sprint as no other phone has in the past 3 years.

Maybe this is a simple IQ test for HTC and Sprint...if they blow it, they'll lose a lot of Android business in the future.

23. TF1984

TF1984 Well-Known Member

Ahhh!!! these thread titles are KILLING me. please, please, someone use a little more discretion when naming your thread.

Geeeeeeeezzz!!!

Imminent? Of course it's imminent. But this title makes it appear you're going to find amazing resources you somehow missed telling you you'll have the update within a week.

24. dmystic1

dmystic1 Well-Known Member

I think it took longer because the Hero went from software 1.5 to 2.1. They also had to tweek it to even work on the Hero specs, even had to remove some stuff. I don't think its that big of a jump from 2.1 to 2.2. The only thing Sprint will most-likely remove, is built in tethering.

25. Fubie

Fubie Well-Known Member

Again, the problem is we are dealing with HTC and Sprint. With a limited track record we have no idea how long either will take. Whether or not the Hero took as long as it did due to technical issues, incompetence or corporate strategy (or lack there of) we still don't have enough data to make an accurate guess.

BTW with peoples supposition that the Hero took so long to move from 1.5 to 2.1 due to the hardware I would disagree. Look how long it took the Euro Hero to move over. About 12-13 months and I do believe the hardware was similar, albeit, GSM. This tells me that firmware releases are all about money not specs.

With that said, I will laugh my a$$ off though if the Incredible gets 2.2 before the EVO though. If that is the case, so much for the statement that the EVO will the the "second" phone with FroYo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.