• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.2 slow icon refresh

another thought: I have 5-6 or so "picture frame" widgets spread out across the 5 screens, it could be load lag trying to grab the pictures back from the SD card if the screen processes had been killed due to low memory. Need to test this further. -droidosis-
I get this slow icon refresh issue from time to time. It seems to happen a lot more often when actually using the 'Home' button to get back to your home screen. Try using the 'Back' button to get out of the app your using and back to the home screen instead of 'Home'. See if you see it occur more/less. It's just a theory. The lag bug is very similar to loading up the home screen launcher for the first time. You will see the bottom icons appear immediately, but it takes maybe 5-8 seconds before the icons appear and you can scroll left or right. It happens with any replacement launcher. It usually occurs when having a lot of apps running, and being in the browser on a heavy flash page, and then pushing the 'Home' button to escape out and back to your home screen. It acts as if hitting the 'Home' button has to reload the launcher app from scratch. Perhaps the launcher app is getting killed by the OS for more on demand memory? Maybe they need to increase the launcher OS priority level and give it a DO NOT KILL status? It could also be Verizon's little joke to make you want to upgrade. They may not have motivation to fix this issue thoughts? -droidosis-

Upvote 0
ok i dont know if my 2 cents matters at all but was having the same issue for the longest time even before any 2.2 update. Started using an app killer and it temp fixed the problem. found out about launcher pro and that fixed the problem for a long time and made my phone even run through all the menus way smoother and quicker. Then frg01 came around and still same issue. also upgraded to the frg22 so called "patch" update and i still had the same annoying issue. About a week ago I rooted my 2.2 froyo droid running frg22 and im running LFY 1.6 and I have no slow icons and my phone has not had one slow moment at all.
Not saying that everyone should root but it did fix my problem.:)

Reactions: DLM
Upvote 0
My wife and I got the Verizon OTA 2.2 update; shortly afterwards I started seeing the slow home screen redraw, but she didn't. So I figured I'd try to get my phone configured as closely as possible to hers as I could. It looks like after I cleared out one of the home screens (right-most) my redraw problem is all but gone. I probably need to wait a few days to see if it comes back, but so far so good after one day. I had that screen full of shortcuts, I just went in and deleted them.

Maybe someone here with knowledge of the OS can take a guess? Are the two new screens handled differently in memory?

BTW, I'm running all the stock stuff--no launchers, mods, roots, roms, overclocks, or whatever else you kids are doing.

Upvote 0
I hope this helps someone. I forced FRG01B and then when FRG22 came out I did that, both had the problem where when returning to home the icons would take 5+ second to load, followed by the widget icons. I tried turning off animations as suggested in this thread but that did not help.

Loading the Gallery would take especially long. I guess email attachments get saved in there automatically from TouchDown, and I had a few fullscreen screenshots, like 1280x1024 or bigger. I deleted these images and now the phone is a LOT faster all around and I have not noticed the icons disappearing and then coming back after awhile since I did this. Every menu and program runs faster. I was getting really pissed because the phone was so much slower than when I bought it, but now it is just fine.

Upvote 0
I too have been facing extremely slow loading home screens. I've seen lots of similar posts since 2.2 rolled out. I thought it was related to Launcher Pro and went back to the stock homescreen....that worked for a while, but now the stock home is having the same problems. It takes about 7 seconds for the icons to re-appear, and even when they do, the screen is non-responsive for a couple of seconds. I don't know a thing about this OS but it seems particularly bad coming out of what I assume is a memory intensive application like reviewing gallery pics. Also, seems bad coming out of some games and even maps it can take 15 seconds to reload. I tried removing widgets but that doesn't seem to help.

Is this a memory problem? Are some of these apps filling up a cache or something and erasing the stock launcher's cache of what should be on the home screen?

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is a solution as I don't really know what the option does. Maybe someone who knows more can add more to it. But I just installed LauncherPro in hopes it would help cure my home screen refresh option. I am having the same problems everyone else here has and have tried everything listed and even had my phone replaced with a "as good as new droid" from Verizon. But in LauncherPro I when to Preferences>General Settings>Keep in Memory. I checked the Keep in Memory box. So far I have had much much fewer refresh problems. I have only had Two so far today compared 2 every 30 minutes. I don't what this option really does or if it is just my imagination that it is working. But maybe others can try it and report back. Also if anyone can add more to what this really does that would be great.

Reactions: DLM
Upvote 0
There are two things I've noticed that slowed down my home screen redraw.
1. Apps moved to SD card with icons on home screen.
2. Folders on home screen.

When I removed my folders, and made sure any apps on my SD card didn't have icons on my home screen my redraws improved considerably. When I leave a high memory application (such as any website browsing session with flash on the page) it takes a second or two to redraw, but not the 20s it took when I was using folders and sd card icons. I still have several apps on SD card, I just don't put shortcuts on the home screen for those. My phone is not rooted, and I use the stock home app.
--D.

Upvote 0
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:

Just to be clear about this problem since it is so deeply misunderstood by many people. It is purely a memory issue. It is not encountered nearly as often on phones with 512MB of memory. In my case I have the good ol Droid 1 with 256MB RAM and mine is very prone to having this problem, which for several months now has been completely cured.

Think of your phone like its RAM is very precious space just as electricity was on the Apollo 13 trip to the moon. When you are on the home screen, all is well, you can see your icons and widgets and all are there. When you veer away from home and open memory hungry apps, the memory manager will try to hold other apps (that are not being displayed on the screen, or being ran as background processes) in the RAM memory as long as it can until the current app running in the forefront hogs up all the memory, then the OS must freeze the state of any app that was running previously, so it creates a type of file (to save to the internal flash memory) to remember the state of the program(s) that had been previously ran and saves them so that the OS can rebuild the program to the same state it was in when it had been on the forefront.

The more and more apps you open over the top of the home screen will surely guarantee that you will purge the home app out of the RAM. Some launchers like Launcher Pro have a toggle in them to 'lock into memory', and they can help, but they basically only request to the OS to 'pretty-please leave me running in memory', but there are still many times where the OS will STILL purge the launcher even with this option selected to true.

I have found that on my phone, I have had better results locking the home launcher into memory by using this procedure: FIX: Reduce REDRAW with launcherpro/ADW *Credit to samsonite801 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

By the way, I am Samsonite801 on that forum. I didn't really come up with this procedure, but had previously found it in a developer community, and then after trying out the procedure and verifying that it does indeed do wonders for me, I brought it over to the Droid user forums.

This procedure will help on most people's phones if they also take a pro-active approach to memory management, and also try to do other things that will try to lessen the memory footprint of their launcher to some degree. This means that, if you do attempt to install this ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 toggle into a file called /data/local.prop, then it will lock your home launcher into memory, but if your launcher uses gobs of memory and has a huge footprint then when you open other memory-hungry apps, they may likely crash when they can't use a bunch of memory. Like if I open too many tabs on my xScope 6 browser it will eventually crash when it runs out of memory. This is because the Droid 1 really needs more memory, and this is the real problem. The above line added to the /data/local.prop file is only a bandade really (although if I had a Droid X or something, I'd probably still want to keep the launcher locked into the memory, as then I would even be in a better position to handle it).

But basically, the ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 toggle is just a more reliable way to keep the launcher locked into memory, than the toggle supplied in launchers like Launcher Pro and ADW. This is because this command here requires root access, whereas the 'Lock into Memory' toggle in the launchers DO NOT require root access, therefore, it can only ASK the memory manager what it would like to have but really, it amounts to the memory manager is going to do whatever it wants based on other things it must consider.

There still lies one other redraw issue however. Since the launcher does not cache both a portrait view and a landscape view simultaneously in the RAM, then you will still see a redraw whenever you switch from one to the other. So my advice is to open your app (like messaging app say) in portrait mode FIRST, then rotate phone, open keyboard, and do your typing, then close phone keyboard, rotate back to portrait before hitting the home button. Then it will never redraw. Or rotate the phone WHILE it is on the home screen already (also works), but just don't open an app and rotate and then return to home in the other view. This always results in redraw. I also shut off the auto-rotate feature in LP prefs so that it does not rotate based on the accelerometer, but rather only changes when the keyboard is actually slid open.

Now the actual speed of a redraw is highly dependent on how much stuff your launcher has to redraw (and CPU speed to some extent). I keep my Launcher Pro down to 3 screens, 6 folders, 5 widgets, and 3 scrolling docks, and I have it set in LP Prefs to 'lock in memory' also, and to use 'Light' memory, and compressed caching, and speeds are all set to full fast with no problems.

Just remember, that the reason everyone has a different experience with this problem is because everyone runs different number and type of widgets, different apps in general and it is a completely different balance of memory usage on everyone's phones, whom all run different CPU clock speeds and have different RAM sizes, etc. It is very much a juggling act to find a good balance of the features and widgets you want, against number of home screens, against the hardware you have. If you bog it down too much it will be slower.

I have even had issues with doing updates and installing an updated version of the launcher over an existing version. I always recommend to save your home launcher settings to the backup file (LP and ADW both have means to backup current config), and then completely remove it first before going to the Market to install the updated version. Then you get a true fresh install without any patched code that might have bugs and slow it down. Many times I've seen when the Market's installer had even said it would be completely replacing the old version with a new version, I could, many times, go into the /data/app folder and see there are now 2 apks in there for one given app (named like: thisapp-1.apk and thisapp-2.apk. And if you have an app in the /system/app folder (factory shipped apps which don't delete on a phone reset), I've seen as many as 3 related apk files stack up for one app, which just hogs up all your internal flash storage, so before I ever update any app, I always uninstall the old one first. And if it is a system app, I will do the update, but then I move the new apk from /data/app over to /system/app and overwrite the old one that was in system. (always backing up every apk for easy regression if needed).

Hopefully this post offers some insight to this issue of redrawing. Once I have found my perfect balance on my phone, and learned about the work-around to the portrait/landscape switching to avoid redrawing, I never have been plagued by this issue ever since I found my personal recipe. And ultimately, I also realize that this will only work until my hardware becomes completely outdated by software that has more code in it and I will eventually have to upgrade to a phone with more RAM and faster CPU to keep up with the times. But for now, with my Droid 1 which has 256MB RAM and custom kernel running 1000mHz max speed, my current setup works great, and I do not experience redraws , unless if LP ever crashes which is seldom.

Upvote 0
wow.. I think your a little late to the party, you just recoved much of what was already covered :)

-internal memory being the root cause is pretty well known
-ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 has been talked about (works for some, not others and not me and I have 105b of free memory)
-portrait view versus landscape view redraws
-various outcomes of all the possible fixes due to all the possible roms, kernels, apps, widgets, free mem, swappers, combos a user can have versus another user

BTW, there are so many threads on this topic, if it was not covered in this one, it was in one of the many others.

Upvote 0
Did you really feel it was necessary to point all that out? Why don't you just grind it in there if you can...

There are plenty of people whom read posts a year or 2 later and they can still provide value to people.

If you don't have constructive words to speak, then why don't you just pass, and not hit the reply button?

The answer shows in how many posts you have... You just have too much time on your hands and can't resist to crash any good party.

Well at least 2 people thanked me for my post before you came in and tried to crash on my advice...

Just keep posting, see if you can hit 10,000 posts, that'll make you real smart right?

Reactions: OnRunning
Upvote 0
"Now the actual speed of a redraw is highly dependent on how much stuff your launcher has to redraw (and CPU speed to some extent). I keep my Launcher Pro down to 3 screens, 6 folders, 5 widgets, and 3 scrolling docks, and I have it set in LP Prefs to 'lock in memory' also, and to use 'Light' memory, and compressed caching, and speeds are all set to full fast with no problems."

i have a d1 running ud1 and i normally run 50mb free with the apps and widgets i need.

ive done the home adj command, disabled keep in memory, i have two screens with retro clock and news/weather widget and i still get massive redraws, not even doing much just pressing home there is at least 8 seconds of nothing... i have also uninstalled launcher and reinstalled..still redraws..will gingerbread be the solution?

Upvote 0
will gingerbread be the solution?
God i hope so.

if you are up to the task, Download "folder organizer" and create a folder with all the apps you would want in the app drawer. make the app drawer this new folder, then go into LP settings, and hide all apps. i did this and have not had any more redraws. hopefully this stays this way. been good for 24 hours, and every other "fix" disappoints me within a couple hours.

Upvote 0
God i hope so.

if you are up to the task, Download "folder organizer" and create a folder with all the apps you would want in the app drawer. make the app drawer this new folder, then go into LP settings, and hide all apps. i did this and have not had any more redraws. hopefully this stays this way. been good for 24 hours, and every other "fix" disappoints me within a couple hours.

I have read them all, but first I have seen of this "fix". I have my doubts though :p report back in a week

on that note, I have noticed and reported (as have others) that on the most recent release of LP, after a reboot it may not adhere to your "hidden" apps setting and you have to reboot LP to have the "hidden" apps actually hidden in the app drawer. you might notice this happen.

Upvote 0
On Froyo, is anyone else seeing an issue where exiting an application or in any way returning to the home screen sometimes it takes 5+ seconds before the icons appear? Mine will just show a blank home screen for a while and eventually my icons appear and the phone is useable again.

Thanks

I have been bearing with this problem for months (I couldn't stand to go back to 2.1 so I dealt with it), but now I just recently installed this and so far I have not had the problem anymore. I'm quite happy:
http://androidforums.com/droid-roms...-built-source-frg83d-w-gingerbread-parts.html

Upvote 0
I was having this issue for the longest time. My phone just seemed to get slower and slower even if I did a wipe and clean install, after I set the phone up again it would still be slow. First the droid has limited memory so I moved as many apps to the sd card as I could. Then I found a launcher that was supposed to be lighter and faster called Zeam so I tried that. That helped but it was still not that snappy. Then I was reading this thread and I realized I have left the sd card alone for almost the whole time I have had the phone and its almost full. I plugged the phone into my computer and ran a defrag on the sd card with Auslogics Disk Defrag. The phone seems much snappier now all around.

I don't know if it will work for some of you but its worth a try.

Upvote 0
wow.. I think your a little late to the party, you just recoved much of what was already covered :)
BTW, there are so many threads on this topic, if it was not covered in this one, it was in one of the many others.

Some people don't have time to read multiple posts. I, for one, was VERY thankful for the post! It obviously took a lot of time for him to draft, unlike your whiny comment. If you don't have something constructive or nice to say, please STFU. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Some people don't have time to read multiple posts. I, for one, was VERY thankful for the post! It obviously took a lot of time for him to draft, unlike your whiny comment. If you don't have something constructive or nice to say, please STFU. Thank you.

umm seriously his post was not whiny at all.. he was just joking around... so calm down man. notice the smiley face he put at the end of his post?

Upvote 0
I signed up just so I could reply on this thread lol. I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but it seems to have worked for me....
Settings/Accounts & sync settings... and uncheck Auto-sync AND Background data. Hopefully I don't run into this problem again, but I am definitely more careful about how many apps I put on my phone now

Upvote 0
I tried all of the fixes described here. Launcher Pro... gave me a little relief but not much (not a waste of time tho; I like it much much better than the stock Launcher :).

Turning off animations - no effect. Moving apps to/from the card - *maybe* a small effect. I was giving up and about to get a new phone. Grrr. I like this phone.

Tried wiping the cache partition as described in an article I'm prohibited from providing a direct link to because I'm a new user to this forum. But you should be able to find it yourself by googling on the phrase droidmedic.com slow-speeds-killing-your-droid

Whoa - that did the trick for me. My droid is back to new.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones