• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2-thumbed Swype in landscape?

This may really be a dumb question, but is Swype even meant to be used in landscape mode?

I've recently tried Swype to see what all the hype was about. In portrait mode, I can see the advantages; it's actually pretty fast for me. However, I can't seem to wrap my brain around using it in landscape mode with 2 thumbs like on a conventional keyboard. I've tried, but, well...it's a mess.

Be nice...:D

Yeah, Swype is only meant to be used in portrait mode with a single thumb as the only input medium. In landscape mode, it makes much more sense to use my phones physical keyboard, as you should too since you have a Droid 2.

I still type just as fast, if not faster with my phones physical keyboard, so for longer messages (like when I'm typing here on the forums), I use the keyboard. But for shorter messages, like for sms, it's easier to keep my phone in portrait mode and use Swype.

Upvote 0
Yeah, Swype is only meant to be used in portrait mode with a single thumb as the only input medium. In landscape mode, it makes much more sense to use my phones physical keyboard, as you should too since you have a Droid 2.

I still type just as fast, if not faster with my phones physical keyboard, so for longer messages (like when I'm typing here on the forums), I use the keyboard. But for shorter messages, like for sms, it's easier to keep my phone in portrait mode and use Swype.

Ok, thanks for that. I thought maybe I was just a klutz, lol. Yeah, I can type really fast on the Droid2 physical keyboard too. I really like it. I just thought maybe the landscape Swype would be good too, but I guess not.

The only thing I don't like about the physical keyboard is when typing quotation marks, the auto-correct puts the first one immediately after the previous word, like" this," instead of "this." Drives me crazy, because I have to backspace and correct it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones