• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2023 Samsung Galaxy Unpacked: Event Recap!

001-galaxy-zflip5-zfold5-press-release-950x672.jpg

Alright, let's break down Samsung's latest Galaxy Unpacked event. Dr. Han Pak, the big guy behind digital health at Samsung, made a statement when he showcased the Galaxy Watch 6, saying, "This year, we're focused on sleep." Kinda funny, considering the whole event had a bit of a sleepy vibe.

Now, the products Samsung displayed were pretty decent. The new phones, watches, and tablets all had some upgrades, however small they were. There's a chance these products could really wow us when we get our hands on them.

But the real kicker is this - the announcements themselves weren't exactly edge-of-your-seat exciting. It's almost like the event was a lengthy meeting that could have been an email.

Here's the skinny:
  • The Galaxy Z Fold 5 sports a new hinge that trims it down, and it's got a beefier chipset.
  • The Galaxy Z Flip 5 received similar upgrades, plus they made the outer screen larger.
  • The Galaxy Watch 6 got thinner bezels which offers more screen space, plus some fresh health tracking features. And the rotating bezel, a feature from an older model, makes a comeback in the Galaxy Watch 6 Classic.
  • The Galaxy Tab S9 series now has an OLED panel in the basic model and there's an overall improvement in the chipsets.
All good stuff, but not exactly revolutionary, right? Even though these enhancements are neat and certainly make Samsung's products better, it still felt like the info could have been dispatched in a concise email.

001-galaxy-watch6-watch6-classic-combo-kv-950x672.jpg

Timing is everything, and the time chosen by Samsung for its big event wasn't exactly prime time for North America. While acknowledging that Samsung sells worldwide, their scheduling seemed to suggest they weren't expecting a broad audience.

The event could have been a chance for Samsung to really show off, particularly when it came to their foldable phone updates. Especially with Google and Motorola, rivals with solid foldable phone offerings, breathing down their neck. Yet, the response was simply 'modest tweaks.'

And let's not forget the price tag! Despite Google failing to undercut the hefty $1,799 price of the Galaxy Z Fold, Samsung held firm.

The event's lackluster vibe was perhaps best represented during a segment featuring K-Pop star Suga, who was brought in to inject some excitement. When asked why anyone would want a foldable phone like the Galaxy Z Fold, Samsung's response highlighted the big display and multitasking features - features which are already associated with previous models of the device.

In the end, what will truly matter is whether the products live up to their promises. Initial impressions among some tech insiders who've had a chance to play with the new gear, from the Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra to the Galaxy Watch 6, have been largely positive, despite a few hitches.

However, first impressions are crucial. If Samsung doesn't deliver a captivating event, there's a risk the spotlight might just shift elsewhere.

Reactions: ocnbrze
i think the z fold 5 will be a good phone. but for owners of the fold 3 and fold 4, upgrading to the fold 5 is not that much of a step up. sure the hinge is a huge deal, but having the same cameras both in the front, unfolded and in the back as well as the same size battery is not a step up. its not enough to entice owners who bought into foldables to upgrade.

the galaxy watch 6 however is a different story. they are bringing back the bezel which i love from the watch 3. i might get me one of those this xmas for myself.

Upvote 0
I'm really intrigued by the watch 6! It seems to offer some fantastic features. However, I've been using my trusty watch 3, and it's still working like a charm. It's always tough for me to replace something that's perfectly functional. I must admit, the desire to get the watch 6 is there, but I can't deny that I don't really need it right now. Decisions, decisions!

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones