• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2GB Vs. 4GB SD Card: will it make a difference?

Papamalo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2011
Oakland
I am using a 2GB SD card with my Huawei ascend, and the Icarus mod.
I am told, (and this seems to be correct) that icarus installs all apps that can be installed onto the SD card, onto the SD card.

Currently, my SD card is at 1.60 GB space, and my Internal, SD Card is at 18.45 MB

(I am assuming that "Internal SD card" means the phone's built in memory and not the removable card)

I have been given a 4GB SD card. will this make any difference at this point in speed or performance, or is it just more space?

thanks?

I am using a 2GB SD card with my Huawei ascend, and the Icarus mod.
I am told, (and this seems to be correct) that icarus installs all apps that can be installed onto the SD card, onto the SD card.

Currently, my SD card is at 1.60 GB space, and my Internal, SD Card is at 18.45 MB

(I am assuming that "Internal SD card" means the phone's built in memory and not the removable card)

I have been given a 4GB SD card. will this make any difference at this point in speed or performance, or is it just more space?

thanks?
sd card will only give u more space

Upvote 0
A minor correction: not ALL apps can be stored on the SD card, this depends on whether the app was written with a2sd support. Also, how much you can store on the card (apps) is dependent on how large you made your a2sd partition. I have a 4GB card and set the a2sd partition to 1024 (1GB) so that I'd have plenty of room, and it's been more than sufficient.

Speed of the card is dependent on the class designation. Most cards sold now are Class 4, with some being 6, 8, or 10. The higher the class number, the faster it can read and write data. Mine is class 4, as is my wife's, although I have a 4GB card and she only has 2.

One more warning: If you take out the old SD card and insert the new one without doing anything else, you will not have the apps that have installed to the SD card, and doing it while the phone is on could crash it or cause problems. The best thing to do is turn off the phone, make an exact copy of the SD card, and copy that to the new SD card before turning the phone back on, although I do not know if you will encounter problems there, as I haven't tried it.

Reactions: Jazziette
Upvote 0
Your 8GB card may be faster than your 2GB card, and to some degree, speeds can vary by manufacturer, even with the same rating. I hate PNY flash drives for this very reason, because they write data slower than other flash drives I've had.

The other thing that can affect your transfer speed is the number of files being transferred. Have you ever tried transferring a whole folder of music files VS a single file that is equal in size to the total of the music files? The single file will transfer faster because it is one item, and because the read/write process doesn't have to stop and start again like it does for each individual music file. Overhead will kill your speeds.

Reactions: Jazziette
Upvote 0
A minor correction: not ALL apps can be stored on the SD card, this depends on whether the app was written with a2sd support. Also, how much you can store on the card (apps) is dependent on how large you made your a2sd partition. I have a 4GB card and set the a2sd partition to 1024 (1GB) so that I'd have plenty of room, and it's been more than sufficient.

One more warning: If you take out the old SD card and insert the new one without doing anything else, you will not have the apps that have installed to the SD card, and doing it while the phone is on could crash it or cause problems. The best thing to do is turn off the phone, make an exact copy of the SD card, and copy that to the new SD card before turning the phone back on, although I do not know if you will encounter problems there, as I haven't tried it.

With the a2sd on Icarus ALL apps go to the the SD card whether they were designed for it or not. It's not like the Froyo version. It is covered in this thread in All things root:
http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/289834-a2sd-confusssion.html

You cannot just copy one SD card to pc then copy it back to the new one. Here is the link to the particular post regarding that in the above thread:
http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/289834-a2sd-confusssion.html#post2386133

The only time pulling your SD card out (if done properly anyways) that could give you problems would be if you have your Dalvik cache on a2sd. And that will freeze up your phone (Yes I just did it to check I'm running Icarus and put my Dalvik cache to a2sd) but pulling the battery out then putting the SD card back in and it will turn on just fine.

Reactions: cast71
Upvote 0
What size partition do you guys use for A2SD? Thanks

Cast. That depends on how big your SD card is and how many apps you want to download. 256M is normal recommendation. But I have an 8G SD card so I went 1G, my theory is I have the room and better to have too much than not enough.

How would one transfer files from one sd card to a new sd card without using a computer? Bluetooth right? Just want to make sure because I'm using the 2gb card that came with the ascend but im planning on getting a 4 or 8 gb. I appreciate any reply!

Chum. A couple questions to answer you properly.
What types of files are you transferring? It it's music and pictures and stuff yes you can use Bluetooth to send to another Bluetooth phone and then back.
Are you using Icarus and have a2sd? If so you are going to have to re-download your apps. If you put your Dalvik Cache on your SD card put it back on the phone. Please see this thread for more information about that: http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/289834-a2sd-confusssion.html We are working on a thread for a2sd that will be published soon to help with that area.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't let us know and we'll figure something out.

Upvote 0
Chum. A couple questions to answer you properly. What types of files are you transferring? It it's music and pictures and stuff yes you can use Bluetooth to send to another Bluetooth phone and then back.
Are you using Icarus and have a2sd? If so you are going to have to re-download your apps. If you put your Dalvik Cache on your SD card put it back on the phone. Please see this thread for more information about that: http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/289834-a2sd-confusssion.html We are working on a thread for a2sd that will be published soon to help with that area.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't let us know and we'll figure something out.[/QUOTE]

Yes just music and picture files so the first part answered my question. Thanks!!:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones