• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2nd Hero and the same problem?

Gary95

Lurker
Nov 6, 2009
Hello, sorry for this being my first post without and introduction, but I am getting frustrated with this phone and a Facebook Sprint HTC group refered me to this place as having the best chance to find answers.
I searched the forums and it doesn't appear as anyone else has the same exact issue as I am...
I thought this phone was going to be great, especially coming from 4 instincts... (btw, the last one was working just fine... finally) I was just getting tired of it and really like the options the Hero offered and when working, it's great...
I am getting this error message:
Sorry! The process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
It is not allowing me to use the phone at all, it says no service. Even the sprint website has my phone greyed out as if it don't exist. Now if I do a hard reset,everything comes back on, but I lose everything. This is my second Hero and I am hoping that there is a fix. I went to HTC e-mail support site to try and get a solution and it is down....getting really frustrated with this phone...Anyone have any answers...
I downloaded apps from the market and transfered music to the sd card. Other than that, Nothing...
I really like this phone, but don't think getting a new one every three days is what I want...
Thanks for your help in advance

I actually had the same problem and was to the point where i was restarting my phone every 4 or 5 days. I noticed that for me it usually happened after the phone had been turned off and back on, on boot it would give a series of messages including the one you are describing and other error messages that i assumed were a result of startup applications having no access to something critical. Anyways, I took my phone up to sprint and they replaced it saying the problem was with the 1st line of heros, with HTC on the back, so they gave me a new one with a google logo on the back, it happened again. During this time, everytime this happened I factory restarted I would replace all the applications and put all the widgets back to their place, not thinking too much about it. Well, after the second phone did it I decided to just sit there and uninstall a program, restart my phone, one by one to find the problem. While doing this I noticed it wasn't what i was uninstalling that caused it to work, it was the fact I was getting rid of programs, that allowed me to keep my phone stable. For example I thought it might be the fact I had last.fm and Pandora widgets, with just one of the two programs installed it would give me service when I restarted. I really wanted both so i kept trying. installed both, and uninstalled a couple of useless programs i grabbed and my phone was working with both side by side. In the same manner I always turn my phone on and off after installing a new program, its a annoying but better than not having service. Keep in my i understand you might not have so many apps, you might just have a few, in that case our issues may be unrelated. To sum up, get rid of stuff you dont need and go from there.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help...I'm starting to think that it is an app thing....I've read a couple of other post saying that 70 apps shuts their phone down very similar to mine...
I just got my third phone today, so we'll see....Now I am having a problem updating the voice mail.It tells me I need to switch to allow third party apps to complete the download, and then says I am responsible if anything goes wrong with the phone. Kinda strange since it is a function that is included with the phone. Anyways, now when I do that it says it's downloading and it freezes up...
Gonna do some searches on this problem now.
Shouldn't have to do this much to get it to work properly...but I believe in the phone and if it worked the way it should and advertises, then it is exactly what I want out of a phone currently.

Upvote 0
The voicemail thing is just a quirk of that application. Visual Voicemail is a sprint/htc 'proprietary' app that doesn't exist on the market, hence the Third Party Software bit. This has happened to everyone as far as I know.

Certainly, it's an odd move on Sprint's part to force people to enable third-party to update the voicemail app - most users are going to forget to disable it afterward (or just not care, like me), which does indeed pose a security risk of sorts.

As far as I know nobody's had any trouble with the voicemail app, and you can certainly disable the third-party-apps option afterward - the permission is only required for installation.

Upvote 0
This has also happened to me for the 2nd time. First time I had to do a factory reset and download my apps again. Freakin frustrating! I took Crake's suggestion and uninstalled a few apps. Actually only uninstalled 2 (which were starting up on boot): last.fm and NotesEverything. I also used the "AppManager" app I downloaded to back up some of my apps on SD. After that I rebooted and it's working again! Thanks! I sure hope they fix this... Such a great phone tainted by big bugs.

Upvote 0
this has nothing to do with how many are installed in one session. I'm at the point where if I install 1 app and restart, I can't get service and processes start to crash. If I then uninstall 1 app (any app, not just the one I just installed) everything's OK.

Android development must know about this. I suspect they want to finish development of Android 2.0 rather than try to fix 1.5.

Upvote 0
New Hero user experiencing the same problem here. :mad:

Someone briefly mentioned 70 as a limit; was this ever confirmed as the point where this problem does/doesn't occur? Seems like this is something that should be documented by HTC so we're aware of it??? Hopefully it's just a limitation of 1.5 and will be fixed with the upcoming 2.1 update???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones