• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

$30 4G plan Nexus 4/S3 or Note 2

I thought I'd chime in and say I love my Nexus 4. My brother has the S3 and there's no way I'd pay the price difference for it. It might be different if I needed the SD card slot, but I don't.

You don't need the T-Mobile "branded" S3, you need the right version for their network which is the T999. There are various unlocked phone sellers who carry the model. But at this point you might as well wait for the S4 announcement - it could drive the S3 price down or it might cost less than you expect if they think they need to compete with Google.

I like the pen concept of the Note devices a lot, I don't know why they can't do that with a better screen. I wouldn't give up the HD screen for anything.

That $30 plan is a great deal if you can make the 100 minutes work. I couldn't which is why I went with Solavei.

Upvote 0
I may misunderstand but I believe T-Mobile's plan is to eventually move all their 3G (including HSPA+) to the 1900 Mhz band, freeing up the bandwidth for LTE. It would also make T-Mobile compatible with most international (and AT&T) phones. Of course, the problem for now is that they still need to support their phones which do not support the 1900 Mhz band.

You may be correct. I can't remember for sure. There was a roadmap within the last few months showing what and how they were going to do it with their frequencies. I've looked but I can't find it now.

Upvote 0
Wont edit for some reason.
uploadfromtaptalk1362605949041.jpg

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
either unlocked or tmobile but im not sure if when you first activate the plan you would need a tmobile phone i do know that after your activated you can use any phone you like. the $30 plan is for new activations only.

You can activate with any compatible phone. There are many here who have activated their plan with a Galaxy Nexus or Google Nexus 4.

Upvote 0
I may misunderstand but I believe T-Mobile's plan is to eventually move all their 3G (including HSPA+) to the 1900 Mhz band, freeing up the bandwidth for LTE. It would also make T-Mobile compatible with most international (and AT&T) phones. Of course, the problem for now is that they still need to support their phones which do not support the 1900 Mhz band.

I do not believe so. Their 1900mhz band is to supplement their 1700/2100 band, so they can use the iPhones mainly.

Also all T-Mobile phones support the 1900 mhz band, so am not understanding your second comment.

Upvote 0
either unlocked or tmobile but im not sure if when you first activate the plan you would need a tmobile phone i do know that after your activated you can use any phone you like. the $30 plan is for new activations only.

You can activate with any compatible phone. There are many here who have activated their plan with a Galaxy Nexus or Google Nexus 4.
im a metroPCS client and was thinking about switching to t-mob as well with their $30 100min.unlim text/data plan and wondering if the purchase of a t-mob phone was required inorder to get the plan as i would be a new activation or would an unlocked phone work?

Upvote 0
im a metroPCS client and was thinking about switching to t-mob as well with their $30 100min.unlim text/data plan and wondering if the purchase of a t-mob phone was required inorder to get the plan as i would be a new activation or would an unlocked phone work?

I have the 30 dollar prepaid plan 100 minutes and unlimited data and text activated on an unlocked phone.

You just need a new sim card to get it since it's a new activation. The phone doesn't matter. Older customers can just buy a new sim for free and then activate on that plan. :)

Upvote 0

As SuperAfnan said, an unlocked GSM phone works, you do not need to purchase a phone. The only caveat I'd add is that you likely want an unlocked phone that works on T-Mobile's 3G frequencies (1700 and 2100 Mhz). There are areas where T-Mobile has refarmed their network so that 3G speeds work on 1900 Mhz, outside of those areas the best you can do (if the phone doesn't support 1700/2100 Mhz) is 2G speeds.

Personally, I am using a Galaxy Nexus (I believe all the Nexus GSM devices support T-Mobile frequencies) that I purchased from Google, and have never had a T-Mobile phone.

Upvote 0
Sikesr, I am using both an unlocked Galaxy Nexus (Wife's phone) on the plan you are going to get and a Tmobile phone, HTC Amaze 4G (my phone). Separate accounts/lines. They both work fine.

I highly recommend this plan if you don't need unlimited minutes or can use Google Voice with an app like Talkatone or GrooveIP.

If you know that the Tmobile service is fine or if you can find out, then it's really a no brainer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones