3G/2G - why switch?

Last Updated:

1. cbasse

cbasse Member This Topic's Starter

Maybe a rookie question, but here goes - I've seen a lot of posts about where to find an app/widget that allows you to switch between 3G and 2G. My question is: why would I want to do this? Does switching to 2G lessen the amount of data usage (which could be important, considering I'm on AT&T's 200 MB plan)? Or is there some other benefit/reason for doing this?

Related: I have the SwitchPro widget, which has a 3G-2G switch available -- does this mean I am able to switch if I want to?

Thanks for your replies!

Advertisement
  2. sirlanceem

sirlanceem Member

umm technically yes you would use less data because it's a much slower bandwidth but some people ( like me ) who live on the edge ( lol edge... ) of a 3g signal so it would bounce back and forth between 3g and edge... which is extremely bad for the battery

3. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

3G inherently uses more battery even if you have a solid connection. That's the main reason why, most of us are battery misers.

4. james27007

james27007 Look into my Eye VIP Member

Also, if you are in an area that does not get 3G (like my house), your phone will continue to search for 3G and not really sleep; which kills battery. I can usually add a few hours (3-2) if I disable 3G when I am at home.

5. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

I have not seen or heard of a widget that works yet. People that are switching 3G off have been doing in the phone config menu via the dialpad.

Someone correct me if i am wrong.

6. TheMasterBaron

TheMasterBaron New Member

If you have rooted your phone and using a compatible ROM, you can use my Toggle 2G app.

Cheers,
    MB