• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.3 update to Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will us "Virgins" get the 4.3 update? I figured we would get it as soon as Sprint releases theirs.

We don't know yet. Hopefully we will at some point. Virgin is a separate division of Sprint, so even though Sprint is rolling it out, Virgin may not.As far as I know, they have historically issued relatively few OS updates.

I just checked the VM FB page. Someone asked that yesterday, and VM replied that they have no information on an update yet

All we can do is wait.

Upvote 0
I've seen on other sites after a Google search that Virgin has released a 4.3 update in the UK and some other countries. The update was riddled with bugs and deeper probles. Probably due to the rush to release without proper testing. I'm just hoping to receive the update for the Galaxy Gear compatibility.

Virgin Mobile UK, Canada, Australia, etc, are all completely separate companies to Virgin Mobile USA. They just have the same branding.

Upvote 0
Virgin Mobile UK, Canada, Australia, etc, are all completely separate companies to Virgin Mobile USA. They just have the same branding.

Yes, Virgin Mobile USA is owned by Sprint. They use the Virgin name, logo etc under license, so any information you see bout the other Virgin Mobile brands has nothing to do with VMUSA. Some of the contests & ads might be the same or similar, but that is only because VMUSA has chosen to use them. I have a feeling that eventually Sprint might change the name or merge VM & Boost, but they might have signed an agreement to use the VM name for a certain length of time when Sprint purchased VM

Upvote 0
I have a feeling that eventually Sprint might change the name or merge VM & Boost, but they might have signed an agreement to use the VM name for a certain length of time when Sprint purchased VM

VM USA has exclusive use of the Virgin Mobile brand in the US through 2027. VM USA pays 0.25% of gross revenues annually, with a maximum of about $4.5 million in 2013 (the maximum adjusts for inflation each year based on $4 million in 2007).

If Sprint stops using the Virgin Mobile brand, Virgin will just license it to someone else in the US. A "new" Virgin Mobile USA would pop up nearly right away, which would be a disaster for Sprint. Sprint has spent jillions of dollars building the VM brand in the US over the years and it would be crazy to allow a competitor to benefit from that. If a guy says "Hey, I'm going to shoot you." you don't offer to buy him some bullets.

Upvote 0
So will us "Virgins" get the 4.3 update? I figured we would get it as soon as Sprint releases theirs.

The only phone I can think of that ever got an official Android update from Virgin Mobile USA was the Samsung Intercept. (There may have been other phones that got updates, but other forum members will have to chime in to say which ones if so.)

Developing, testing and rolling-out Andorid updates costs money and VM USA isn't into that. They keep costs low any way they can so they can make money on their low plan rates. If some of the newer 4G smartphones get Android updates, that will be awesome, but historically, VM USA hasn't done that, even if equivalent Sprint phones have been updated.

Upvote 0
VM rolled out the ICS update for the Evo V 4G well before Sprint did for the Evo 3D (exact same phone, different name).

Is that VM US? I'm being told that VM phones in the UK and Canada are getting the 4.3 update but they are separate from VM US... I'm going to be pissed if my SIII can't support Galaxy Gear and I will drop Virgin for another carrier

Upvote 0
VM USA has exclusive use of the Virgin Mobile brand in the US through 2027. VM USA pays 0.25% of gross revenues annually, with a maximum of about $4.5 million in 2013 (the maximum adjusts for inflation each year based on $4 million in 2007).

If Sprint stops using the Virgin Mobile brand, Virgin will just license it to someone else in the US. A "new" Virgin Mobile USA would pop up nearly right away, which would be a disaster for Sprint. Sprint has spent jillions of dollars building the VM brand in the US over the years and it would be crazy to allow a competitor to benefit from that. If a guy says "Hey, I'm going to shoot you." you don't offer to buy him some bullets.

Companies combing overlapping & redundant divisions is an extremely common happening in the business world When there is new ownership in the business, such is the case with Sprint, it happens even more frequently, It would save far more in the long run, than what Sprint has spent so far.

I did not say it will happen, but it is a very real possibility, at some point in the future. They could merge divisions, and keep either the Virgin or Boost name, or a new name. Honestly though, in the U.S., Virgin Mobile does not have all that much brand recognition, many people do not even know it is really a Sprint brand, and only has the name in common with other Virgin brands. Sprint could sign an agreement with Virgin that Virgin would not use the name Virgin Mobile in the US for a certain amount of time in exchange for something that benefits Virgin, another thing companies due when a licensing agreement ends.

BTW, where are you getting the 2027 date and the figures you quote>

Upvote 0
VM rolled out the ICS update for the Evo V 4G well before Sprint did for the Evo 3D (exact same phone, different name).

Right. More than likely, the only reason That VM got it first was because of the all the problems that Evo V users were having, especially those error message that some people were constantly getting. They had to roll it out quickly.

slippkidd0129: I think what most everyone is trying to say, is that VMUSA is basically a "stepchild" division of Sprint. As far as what phones, or updates it will get, and when, you really need to wait until an official announcement, as anything can happen. You'll hear lots of rumors. Some may be true, but most will not be.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones