• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Pls how can i root my fone galaxy s5 sm-g906s running marshmallow 6.0.1

I thought it would not be a G900F model that you mentioned in your previous post. You have in fact got the carrier minority variant for the Korean network, SK Telecom. This model's hardware is designed specifically for their network and is not compatible with most carriers 4G/LTE networks worldwide. See, Will My Phone Work?

At present there is no CF-Auto-Root available from chainfire for the Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1, firmware on this model, G906S, so you will need to downgrade to Android 5.0.1 if you want to root using it. See #1.11 of post #1. Alternatively, you may be able to root using KingoRoot's, One Click method, although I cannot vouch for this, having never used it myself.

If you require any further help or assistance on rooting, you can head over to the Root - Samsung Galaxy S5 section of the forum where there are other rooted users.

Upvote 0
My favourite poster is the one with a specific model or firmware related question and does not include any of the information in post #1 and requires a lengthy Q&A session before their query can be addressed. Therefore, to save time and trouble, I now have a stock reply for this, as follows in the next post. Feel free to copy and paste or refer to it, if needed...

Dear ironass,

I desperately need your help with your instructions for the Verizon Dummies Guide - Downgrade from Lollipop to KitKat. I have successfully used these instructions more that one with no problems. Now the Samsung Kies 3 application will no longer work. Most of the time, it is unresponsive. A couple of times, I received an error message that Windows is missing the flash.ocx file.

I have done extensive research into trying to recover the flash.ocx file. I have tried several different options that were available to recover the flash.ocx file by doing a Google search/following the instructions: uninstall/reinstall Adobe Flash Player (I did this on Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer); clean the registry with CCleaner; opened an Administrative Command Prompt box/tried to take care of the problem that way with no luck!

The Odin application and the .tar file that you suggest using in your Dummies Guide instruction seem to be intact/able to be used. I have a Samsung S5 Smart Phone from Verizon, I am currently running KitKat 4.4.4. My model is SM-G900V. I live in the United States.

I kept getting the software update prompt for Lollipop 5.0 on my phone. I don't want to update my phone to that operating system at this time. I accidentally pushed the 'Install Now' button on the software update prompt. I was able to stop it from fully updating on my phone. I did what I had always done in the past whenever this happened - Go to your Verizon Dummies Guide to Downgrade from Lollipop to KitKat. However, the Samsung Kies 3 did not show it was connecting/working this time.

I currently have the 'Warning!!' screen showing on my phone. I can't do anything other than downgrade to KitKat or let the Lollipop software upgrade install on my phone. I have tried to do a factory reset, but can't get that to happen.

I hope I have given you enough information to help me. This is my first time doing anything like this. I am also new to Android Forums. I just signed up for an account today. I would appreciate any help you can give me to get my phone working/back to where I want it again. Thank you in advance for your time, cooperation, and consideration.

Sincerely,

alt02376.

Upvote 0
Dear ironass,

I desperately need your help with your instructions for the Verizon Dummies Guide - Downgrade from Lollipop to KitKat. I have successfully used these instructions more that one with no problems. Now the Samsung Kies 3 application will no longer work. Most of the time, it is unresponsive. A couple of times, I received an error message that Windows is missing the flash.ocx file.

I have done extensive research into trying to recover the flash.ocx file. I have tried several different options that were available to recover the flash.ocx file by doing a Google search/following the instructions: uninstall/reinstall Adobe Flash Player (I did this on Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer); clean the registry with CCleaner; opened an Administrative Command Prompt box/tried to take care of the problem that way with no luck!

The Odin application and the .tar file that you suggest using in your Dummies Guide instruction seem to be intact/able to be used. I have a Samsung S5 Smart Phone from Verizon, I am currently running KitKat 4.4.4. My model is SM-G900V. I live in the United States.

I kept getting the software update prompt for Lollipop 5.0 on my phone. I don't want to update my phone to that operating system at this time. I accidentally pushed the 'Install Now' button on the software update prompt. I was able to stop it from fully updating on my phone. I did what I had always done in the past whenever this happened - Go to your Verizon Dummies Guide to Downgrade from Lollipop to KitKat. However, the Samsung Kies 3 did not show it was connecting/working this time.

I currently have the 'Warning!!' screen showing on my phone. I can't do anything other than downgrade to KitKat or let the Lollipop software upgrade install on my phone. I have tried to do a factory reset, but can't get that to happen.

I hope I have given you enough information to help me. This is my first time doing anything like this. I am also new to Android Forums. I just signed up for an account today. I would appreciate any help you can give me to get my phone working/back to where I want it again. Thank you in advance for your time, cooperation, and consideration.

Sincerely,

alt02376.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums alt02376 :)

Glad that you have found the, Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide, useful in the past.

Could you install Phone INFO ★Samsung★, free from the Play Store, and post the following details....

1. Bootloader Version

2. Baseband Version

3. PDA Version

Upvote 0
Need help deciding what model to buy. In US on Cricket owned by ATT. I would think I would want to but ATT version. Or would I be better getting Tmobile version so bootloader is not locked. Or should I consider a completely different model? Thanks for help.

For the Cricket network in the U.S.A. I would suggest the SM-G900AZ model as per #1.5 of post #1. This will come with the Cricket firmware and if I recall correctly, does not have a locked down bootloader and can be rooted on Lollipop, Android 5.0, which is the latest firmware for this model. For more information on rooting and custom ROMs, pop over to the Root - Samsung Galaxy S5 section of the forum.

Upvote 0
For the Cricket network in the U.S.A. I would suggest the SM-G900AZ model as per #1.5 of post #1. This will come with the Cricket firmware and if I recall correctly, does not have a locked down bootloader and can be rooted on Lollipop, Android 5.0, which is the latest firmware for this model. For more information on rooting and custom ROMs, pop over to the Root - Samsung Galaxy S5 section of the forum.

Thanks ironass. i was considering the AZ but it seems there are none for sale (that i can find) except for a few used ones. which leads me back to choosing between att and tmobile model. unless it would be wise to go with the 900F international?

Upvote 0
Thanks ironass. i was considering the AZ but it seems there are none for sale (that i can find) except for a few used ones. which leads me back to choosing between att and tmobile model. unless it would be wise to go with the 900F international?

Both the AT&T, G900A, and the T-Mobile (USA), G900T, are compatible with the Cricket network. However, only the T-Mobile (USA) model is capable of rooting as the AT&T has a heavily locked down bootloader and you will not receive updates unless you are registered on their network. The international, G900F, model is only partially compatible on 4G/LTE.

Upvote 0
Both the AT&T, G900A, and the T-Mobile (USA), G900T, are compatible with the Cricket network. However, only the T-Mobile (USA) model is capable of rooting as the AT&T has a heavily locked down bootloader and you will not receive updates unless you are registered on their network. The international, G900F, model is only partially compatible on 4G/LTE.

thanks! sounds like the T is the way to go.

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums alt02376 :)

Glad that you have found the, Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide, useful in the past.

Could you install Phone INFO ★Samsung★, free from the Play Store, and post the following details....

1. Bootloader Version

2. Baseband Version

3. PDA Version

I apologize to you ironass. I installed the above-mentioned app from Play Store onto my laptop computer. The laptop computer did show that the app successfully installed on my phone. However, I do not have access to my phone to give you the information that you are requesting. The only way I know to give you the information that you are requesting is to let Lollipop complete the upgrade on my phone. I don't know how to give you the information any other way. Please advise. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. alt02376. ;)!

Upvote 0
I apologize to you ironass. I installed the above-mentioned app from Play Store onto my laptop computer. The laptop computer did show that the app successfully installed on my phone. However, I do not have access to my phone to give you the information that you are requesting. The only way I know to give you the information that you are requesting is to let Lollipop complete the upgrade on my phone. I don't know how to give you the information any other way. Please advise. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. alt02376. ;)!

It sounds to me that the reason that you cannot downgrade back to KitKat is that you now have the Lollipop or Marshmallow bootloader installed that prevents this, as per the warning in post #1 of Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide

Upvote 0
It sounds to me that the reason that you cannot downgrade back to KitKat is that you now have the Lollipop or Marshmallow bootloader installed that prevents this, as per the warning in post #1 of Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide

No, I don't believe I have Lollipop or Marshmallow bootloader installed right now. I originally had KitKat 4.4.4 installed. The software update to Lollipop got accidentally started. As Lollipop was trying to install, I stopped it from doing that by removing the battery from my phone. Each time I want to put my phone's battery back in/plug in the charger, the Lollipop software update wants to start installing.

I started to use your instructions to the Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide as I had done several other times whenever this had happened, but now I cannot get the Samsung Kies 3 to work anymore. I'm being told the Windows file 'flash.ocx', which is part of Adobe Flash Player, is missing. I need help on getting the Samsung Kies 3 to work again.

I have followed your instructions on how the Samsung Kies 3 is supposed to work. However, it is not showing that it is connecting/making a connection. I currently have my phone on the 'Warning!!' screen.

I will also follow your suggestion/take a look what you have suggeste4d above, but I don't think this is the problem I have at the moment. Please advise. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you again.

Sincerely,

alt02376.

Upvote 0
No, I don't believe I have Lollipop or Marshmallow bootloader installed right now. I originally had KitKat 4.4.4 installed. The software update to Lollipop got accidentally started. As Lollipop was trying to install, I stopped it from doing that by removing the battery from my phone. Each time I want to put my phone's battery back in/plug in the charger, the Lollipop software update wants to start installing.

I started to use your instructions to the Verizon downgrade to KitKat - Dummies Guide as I had done several other times whenever this had happened, but now I cannot get the Samsung Kies 3 to work anymore. I'm being told the Windows file 'flash.ocx', which is part of Adobe Flash Player, is missing. I need help on getting the Samsung Kies 3 to work again.

I have followed your instructions on how the Samsung Kies 3 is supposed to work. However, it is not showing that it is connecting/making a connection. I currently have my phone on the 'Warning!!' screen.

I will also follow your suggestion/take a look what you have suggeste4d above, but I don't think this is the problem I have at the moment. Please advise. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you again.

Sincerely,

alt02376.

Well ... You will never guess! I followed your instructions again to the letter. I uninstalled/reinstalled Samsung Kies 3 twice: once with updating it, once without updating it. I stuck with the Samsung Kies 3 not being updated. Both times, it didn't appear to work, but I continued with following your directions anyway.

I don't know how, but Odin connected after I followed the directions for the AP button/.tar file. Everything else worked like it should have. I have my phone working again with KitKat 4.4.4! Yippee! Thanks so very much for everything! I really do appreciate it. Take care. alt02376 ;)!

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Glad to have found this forum. I am so sick of Verizon, but because of traveling for work I need to use them. I am trying to figure out if it is possible to root my phone. I am unfortunately on MM 6.0.1 on my Verizon SM-G900V.

I was reading through this and other forums which I believe I have to get my phone downgraded back to Lollipop if I have any chance of rooting. According to the guide in this forum I "think" I am able to do this. I have downloaded Odin and LP Firmware. I wasn't sure which firmware so I chose the 2016-06-03 version since it was the most current.

Before I attempted this I figured I would ask if it is possible with my current details. Don't prefer to brick my phone :) and with my luck Verizon did something new to screw me over...

Stock SM-G900V

Bootloader: G900VVRU2DPF4
PDA: G900VVRU2DPF4
CSC: G900VVZW2DPF4
BASE: G900VVRU2DPF4
Kernal: 3.4.0-8025411

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Greetings and thanks for your patience and advice.

I chose the SM-G900T and am so far very impressed with the Marshmallow OS and the durability of the phone. the wife is happy with hers, too...

All seems well after setting up the APN, except one oddity.

The WiFi Calling doesn't work. When connected to WiFi, it indicates "Er05 - Invalid SIM".
I went to AT&T, and they changed the SIM, no help. The Samsung rep at BestBuy indicated he had no idead, but he suspected it was an issue with a T-Mobile phone being used on an AT&T network?

Any ideas on how to fix this, or if it's not possible?

Thanks

P.s. I got the APN settings from AT&T, and they matched here under :

http://apn-settings.com/us/att-apn-settings/

Name: ATT HSPA+
APN: phone
Proxy: <Leave in Blank>
Port: <Leave in Blank>
Username: <Leave in Blank>
Password: <Leave in Blank>
Server: <Leave in Blank>
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: <Leave in Blank>
APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri
APN Protocol: Leave it to the Default one
Bearer: leave it to the Default one

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
VoLTE is not enabled by default on the Duos model. However, as the article below describes, certain carriers who support VoLTE have apps that can enable this... Jio SIM of India for instance. You should contact your carrier and see if they support VoLTE and if there is an app that you need to download.

Are all LTE phones VoLTE phones? If not how can I spot a VoLTE phone looking at the specs?
I am able to make calls through Jio 4G voice. But this requires me to keep Data always ON to make and receive calls draining the battery. Enabling VoLTE mode does not require data to be ON conserving battery.

I have also tried adding in CSC features file the VoLTE enable code, but not worked.

Is any OS upgrade available to enable VoLTE mode in the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones