• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4g CONNECTION FAILED!

I tried to get the Thunderbolt this morning and after 4 hours at Verizon could not get the phone to work right. After 4 hours and numerous calls to Verizon techs it turns out the SIM card isn't activating and the Tech went on to explain that about half the phones have a SIM card that is Future Dated to April 5th ?? and until then there is nothing they can do. The phone would work on 1x but no 3 or 4g and no wifi.....our store stopped selling the TB and they sent some TB's out the door not realizing that the SIM was not activated and are calling those people back.......it seems there is going to be alot of probs and headaches coming the next few days for some people. I cancelled my Thunderbolt. anyhow that was my experience with the TB.

Upvote 0
its been 2 hours later and mine still doesnt work but maybe 5% of the time with Etrade app and the internet browser about 30% of the time says cannot connect.

A few of the apps including google maps have an error code that says cannot connect 30% of the time......which is A TON in my opinion!

If its connecting 3g or slower then it works better, but not perfect.

If its switching in between 3g and 4g then NO DATA!

I cant be the only one having these ISSUES!!

Upvote 0
Ped, I'm having the same trouble with the switches between the network types. Sometimes no symbol, sometimes 1X, then 3G then 4GLTE, then back to nada. I'm on the inside and I'm trying to hunt down a proper solution to this.

I'll follow up if I figure out what's going on. If you already said, sorry for asking, but where are you? I'm in Orange County, CA. Wondering if it's something happening out here.

Upvote 0
Nope Im in Phoenix. ill give you some insight. I havent figured it out, you'll prob have better luck being on the inside, but I know when i type in

*#*#4636#*#* and make it 3g only the data has no problem at all, but of course that cuts out my ability to make calls so i switch it back.

if i go to LTE then i have problems unless i let it sync for a bout 5 minutes.

A good app to try while testing is ETRADE app. If it syncs then you can look up a quote, if its not syncing the app will pop up a window saying no data, etc.

LOCKED in 3G etrade looks up any stock quote i want, LTE nope until it syncs.

So maybe just a handshake when switching between the 1x/3g/4g Lte and ALSO delayed authentication of the LTE band once its reached.

Reactions: JustWiseman
Upvote 0
Now, I've got it set on on EvDo only mode, so I'm getting reliable 3G...which is crap, because I swapped my Incredible for this thing specifically for 4G...but, you said that you can't make phone calls in this mode? My phone and texting are working as they should in this mode. I haven't found anything yet from the tech side but I will certainly follow up here if/when I do, because I'm certainly frustrated with this whole thing. Especially that the majority of people aren't having the problem and are blazing around with 4G no worries. Buttheads.

Upvote 0
After work yesterday, I headed up to a different city about twenty miles north of here. To test it, I turned the 4G back on, and it has been working properly ever since. I'm back in the area around where I was having the trouble yesterday and am getting a reliable 4G signal without any disconnects or drops. I'm guessing it was just a delay at the switch in processing my activation. Hopefully you guys will see a similar result if you haven't already.

Upvote 0
I taked with the tech last night about a half hour and we went through every scenario, he out a tech ticket on it last night to the experts in the networking side and ......

This morning i got an email for tech support and said my phone is now activated.

Ive done a few tests , etc.

Its been working FLAWLESS ever since. COol! finally i like it!

Reactions: JustWiseman
Upvote 0
Ok I am in so cal too. Last night it just randomly kept on dropping 4g and I was like WTF because it was working like crazy the day before. So this morning I was heading to school and boy on my way to fullerton, ca. I got great 4g connection and never disconnected and I was browsing the net and refreshing pages and in half an hour I never saw the 4g symbol go away. The funny part is 2 days ago on my way to school it couldn't find 4g and this time it worked better. It is like the towers switched places, I got epic coverage at my house and now it keeps dropping 4g. The problem is I get full 4 bars but the connection just keeps dropping. I am getting tired of this shit. I mean how can one day I get epic coverage at my house and the next day the 4g keeps dropping. Since thursday this is the first time I had issue at home. For the last day every time I try to browse a page it takes the page a full minute to load because it keeps dropping 4g.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones