• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G Toggle for EVO - Free offer

Wow didnt realize I needed a 20 page disclaimer to offer some free copies of my app.

Either you believe me or you dont. I'm not going to screw #11 buyer over $.99, I would still give it to him. However I do appreciate your Business Management 101 break-down.

Anyways enough thread hijacking please.

Upvote 0
Anyways enough thread hijacking please.

This.

There is no need to lecture on what should/shouldn't happen or why it should/shouldn't happen.

The concept is simple, if you want the widget buy it and maybe you can get a dollar back. If you don't want the widget, don't but it.

This thread is not the place to debate the business practice that the OP is following.

Upvote 0
The 'free' offer might seem "scammy" to some because a potential customer must make a purchase transaction before discovering whether he is one of the 10 to get a refund. He could therefore feel there is a risk of being 'tricked' into purchase, even though he had the set expectation that it would be free. Since he can't know beforehend if the item will be free until after he pays for it, it could be like the scam where there is a rebate offer but the company never fulfils the rebate offer (after all, nobody is omniscient enough to know whether he is buyer #10 with a rebate, or buyer #11 that get screwed. The seller is relying on that and going to get inflated sales based on suckering people to buy expecting a rebate.

It's like a bait-and-switch tactic, or posting a sales ad with a really good deal that only turns out to be a 'typo,' or selling an item with a rebate offer that is bogus. These sort of scams are used by shady businesses to trick victims into showing up at their store. Since the victim already expended the effort of showing up at the store, the victim has an incentive to buy something to make the effort worthwhile (or so the scammer thinks - often times the victim is pissed off enough to never do business with the scammer again).

Would you buy something with a rebate offer that may or may not get fulfilled, depending on how many people send in their form and whether they are faster to the post office than you? I don't think so.

A sales ad isn't an offer of the store to sell you something. The ad is a solicitation for you to go to the store and offer to purchase the product. The only purpose is to get you in the store. When you arrive, if you want the product you will offer to buy it (pay the price on the tag). If not, then don't. While it's inconvenient if you were to go to the store and find that the product is out, or no longer on sale, or a mistake, they don't owe you anything.

Upvote 0
you won't be dissapointed.

Jason,

both widgets work wonderfully. 4g connects quickly, there is no phone lag like when using the stock widget or other widgets available and I love the information that scrolls in the txt field as it is connecting.

you thought of everything!

thank you again.

oh...and for the naysayers...at 24 hours automatic refund was processed via google check out

Thank you again!

Upvote 0
FYI Ed: 4G lag is caused by a bug in the 4G startup, it has nothing to do with the widget. It will occur with this widget, or even without using any widget at all.

I can only speak for my phone...and on my phone..there is no lag present when using this widget. in comparison there WAS lag when using the stock toggle, and when going through the settings to turn 4g on.

maybe just coincidental...don't really care. It would most likely be worth your time to at least post a link to the information you speak of ...as someone might find it useful.

it's a somewhat public forum...you are (for the post part) welcome to say what you want

however your negativity is troubling me. I dedicate an alloted amount of my daily time to come to this site to help people, and I really enjoy it, however you have spent a good amount of time simply being negative. do you honestly have absolutely nothing better to do? Is this something you do online? Does it carry over into your real life?

Please explain to yourself the purpose of it? I don't need the explanation. I have endured more in the last week than what any grown man and other loved ones should ever have to deal with and simply want you to understand why it is that you do what you have done in this thread.

Upvote 0
It has been posted everywhere, and since it happens from the settings menu, it is obviously not the fault of a widget. I'm not going to do forum searching for you.

I'm not going to go into a debate on personalities with you. Not only do I not care, but it would be a waste of time and horribly off topic.

Have you not already dedicated a pretty good amount of time going off topic?

I don't have to search threads that I have actively participated in. Threads in which three methods of turning on 4g cause the phone to lag horribly. As I stayed in my tests this widget turns on 4g and there is no lag on my phone. I have posted my results in those threads and hope that someone finds thr information useful. As with everything android...each phone seems to have its own personality so yrmv. I am site that if someone tries this widget and dislikes it that they will have the sense to utilize the markets 24 hr refund policy.

I might have been able to see the other side of this conversation if jason had come in requesting credit card numbers be sent directly to him for a fancy new gadget but the majority of the responses have been all out ridiculous considering the market is hosting the transaction.

Upvote 0
Have you not already dedicated a pretty good amount of time going off topic?

I don't have to search threads that I have actively participated in. Threads in which three methods of turning on 4g cause the phone to lag horribly. As I stayed in my tests this widget turns on 4g and there is no lag on my phone. I have posted my results in those threads and hope that someone finds thr information useful. As with everything android...each phone seems to have its own personality so yrmv. I am site that if someone tries this widget and dislikes it that they will have the sense to utilize the markets 24 hr refund policy.

I might have been able to see the other side of this conversation if jason had come in requesting credit card numbers be sent directly to him for a fancy new gadget but the majority of the responses have been all out ridiculous considering the market is hosting the transaction.

Do you not understand the purpose and existence of PMs? I'm not posting in this thread again. If you seriously want to continue debating this for absolutely no good reason other than to waste your time and mine, send it to PM instead of further fouling up this thread.

Upvote 0
Just a suggestion to Calix.

Why not make a 'pack' of widgets for all toggles? Kind of like beatiful widgets, but with the way you did the 4G single widget. Sell it for like $4 or something... I might buy it... ;D

Already have done that..look in market for "System Info Widget". It is also only $.99.

I made 4G toggle a standalone widget because some people didnt want the "all-in-one" package that System Info Widget offers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones