• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

6.0 to 7.0 worth keeping s6?

G

godlovingman

Would the s6 be any better of a phone updated to 7.0 or better off buying a newer android phone? I'm sure better off new if so what do you all recommend? My first android was the droid x, I've had s3 which I liked a lot better than the s6. I'll more than likely turn my s6 into a straight talk after I get WiFi tomorrow what phones do they have that uses Verizon towers? I think they have about the best service where I live or better off and or cheaper to stay with Verizon and just go prepaid?

you are better off buying a new phone. even the most budget of phones will be better than the s6 is now.....no matter what os is on there. android 8 or less will be slow now. you will start to find less and less apps available for your device.

i have verizon and i am happy with it. if you have better coverage with verizon than that is what i would go for.

i would go to your local verizon store or a place like Best Buy and play around with some of their demos. this way you get to see and feel the phone of your choosing. you can also see what the options are out there and their price to better form an opinion on what is best for you.

Upvote 0
you are better off buying a new phone. even the most budget of phones will be better than the s6 is now.....no matter what os is on there. android 8 or less will be slow now. you will start to find less and less apps available for your device.

i have verizon and i am happy with it. if you have better coverage with verizon than that is what i would go for.

i would go to your local verizon store or a place like Best Buy and play around with some of their demos. this way you get to see and feel the phone of your choosing. you can also see what the options are out there and their price to better form an opinion on what is best for you.
I figured the closest Best Buy is around 50 miles from me I'm wanting to ditch the almost $100 bill every month is why I'm thinking about straight talk but want a phone that uses Verizon towers if possible. There's a Verizon tower not even half a mile from my place is Verizon prepaid around same price as straight talk? I haven't been under a contract since the s3 game out I bought the s6 used in 2017 right after I got my 14 gt.

Upvote 0
TracFone is now owned by Verizon as well so it's their towers. A friend buys the yearly plan and adds data if/when she needs to, she mostly is WiFi.

*edit - just be sure get an unlocked phone so you can use any carrier and not be locked to a specific one (unless it's what you want of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi!
The S6 may offer improved performance with an update to Android 7.0 or later, but a newer Android phone will likely offer more features and better overall performance.

For a phone using Verizon towers on Straight Talk, consider the Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown, the Samsung Galaxy A20, or the LG Stylo 5.

For a prepaid option with Verizon, consider the Samsung Galaxy A01, the Google Pixel 4A, or the LG K51.

Ultimately, it may be best to compare prices and plan options for both Straight Talk and Verizon prepaid to determine which provides the best value for your needs and budget. :)

Upvote 0
I'm thinking I'm going to get a Samsung galaxy a53 5g I've looked around at different phones like s20-s22 and I think the a53 is the best option for me. Issue is deciding which carrier to go with stay with Verizon and go prepaid instead of postpaid or straight talk etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones