• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

$600 off contract says BestBuy

I got the same answer $449.99 off contract chatting online just a few minutes ago

That is awesome news!:D

I guess the next question is whether us noncontractors will have much success having an evo sold to us. I think this will depend upon which sprint store you go to. As a previously mentioned there have been experiences where ppl have had a tough time getting a non contract phone on release day(maybe a premium placed on new contract members? I guess this makes sense).

Upvote 0
I am finding this very hard to believe that Sprint wont sell their phones at full price to people if they are willing to pay.

I have been with Sprint for 12 years and pay almost $200 a month for my bill, if I cant get this phone for full price on June 4th I am canceling all of my lines with Sprint. I dont care how much i have to pay.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have had an overall great experience with sprint, and i would not have brought this up until another poster(cant remember if it was form this or another forum) mentioned that he had to go to 3 different sprint stores before he found someone who was willing to sell him a palm pre off contract on release day. One store told him the phone was sold out/out of stock, and he stood and watched while they sold a new contract member/contract renewal a palm pre. This probably varies by store but i hope this is just an outlier

Upvote 0
I also went into Best Buy and they told me they were selling the EVO for $600 full retail. I'm not sure if they will price match that, but I'm going to ask and if they won't then I'm canceling my pre-order since the sprint store is within walking distance. I'll just have to wait in line. I think like stated before BB sells phones more full retail b/c they buy the phones from Sprint and have to make their money somehow.

Upvote 0
I also went into Best Buy and they told me they were selling the EVO for $600 full retail. I'm not sure if they will price match that, but I'm going to ask and if they won't then I'm canceling my pre-order since the sprint store is within walking distance. I'll just have to wait in line. I think like stated before BB sells phones more full retail b/c they buy the phones from Sprint and have to make their money somehow.

I asked, and they will NOT price match. Forget Best Buy if you are ordering full retail.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ashtx07
Upvote 0
I am finding this very hard to believe that Sprint wont sell their phones at full price to people if they are willing to pay.

I have been with Sprint for 12 years and pay almost $200 a month for my bill, if I cant get this phone for full price on June 4th I am canceling all of my lines with Sprint. I dont care how much i have to pay.

A Sprint corporate store will sell you the phone as long as they're in stock. They will cost $449.99 + tax.

Upvote 0
Actually sprint stores are not doing pre-orders currently

I can verify this, at least for the 2 stores I've visited in South Austin.

I stopped by the store near my house this evening and was told that they were not taking pre-orders but would be opening one hour early (8:00AM) on June 4th.

I successfully refunded my $50 BB gift card and I intend to be first in line at Sprint on the 4th.

My public apologies for doubting the OP of this thread regarding the $600 Best Buy price. I am in your debt (but no, you can't cut in front of me at the Sprint line)!:D

Upvote 0
I just posted this in a separate thread but it applies here as well so forgive me for the copy and pasting:

If you are planning on buying an Evo as an existing customer, not eligible for an upgrade(like myself), then I think your best bet is buying from one of the smaller Sprint authorized dealers as opposed to a main Sprint retail store. Where I live there is a big Sprint retailer with a Sprint authorized dealer literally two storefronts away. The official Sprint store told me $449.99 straight up, but the authorized dealer told me he would cut me a break and give it to me at $20.00 over cost + buy my Hero from me for $63.00(which you can do at any Sprint store I believe). He said he would also get me an additional discount on my monthly bill.
Point being, the smaller authorized dealers need the business and will go to greater lengths to make the sale. The larger stores and places like Radio Shack generally have their hands tied and can't really give you a break. I would go to a smaller Sprint store and ask them what they can do before committing to anything, it's worth the try and you might save $50-$100 depending on your situation.

Upvote 0
Be careful, the smaller stores are likely going to be resigning you for 2-years as of the date you get the phone with them. That's how they make their money to be able to give you a discount. As long as you're okay with that then go for it.

The stores make no money whatsoever on the actual price of the phone when selling off contract, this is why best-buy, etc. sell at a higher price. They make money from doing an upgrade, selling accessories, and resigning customers.

Upvote 0
Be careful, the smaller stores are likely going to be resigning you for 2-years as of the date you get the phone with them. That's how they make their money to be able to give you a discount. As long as you're okay with that then go for it.

The stores make no money whatsoever on the actual price of the phone when selling off contract, this is why best-buy, etc. sell at a higher price. They make money from doing an upgrade, selling accessories, and resigning customers.

This is a very good point that I did fail to mention. I don't particularly care about the extension, so for me it's a non-issue. But it is definitely a consideration for others.

Upvote 0
Sprint corporate stores are not taking pre-orders. In case anyone is wondering, a corp store is the only place you should go if you're not extending your contract...smaller stores may not even sell you the phone.

Just a heads up for those of you in a situation similar to mine, for the rest of you that are cool with extending...I think you'd actually be better off sticking with a non-corp store since you can pre-order and probably get a good deal on other stuff.

Also, is it possible for someone to fwd me their email that has the 449.99 price in it? PM me if you'd be willing to, I'd really appreciate it. This way I can have some leverage in case they give me a hard time.

Good luck all...can't wait to get this phone.

Upvote 0
Ive been looking to get this phone since I first heard of it in Jan or Feb, so I came to Sprint in March. Got a Pre which lasted all of two months before I got a HTC TP2. Anyways, I have only had my acct for less than 90days so by June 4th theres no Upgrade price for me. But my question is why not just add a second line for 200 then cancel my first. Sell my phone for hopefully 200 or so whatever the price of canceling the first line is? My guess is it would be 199 + 200 ETF on the first line. So for 200 I get the phone and a new phone number. Can anyone verify that this would work? See no reason in why it wouldnt. I also pre ordered from BB so does that add to any hassle?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones