• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 9/22 HTC Evo 4G update to fix 9-1-1 issue?

... Everything I've said is straight up fact and reason that CAN RESULT IN SOMEONE LIVING OR DYING as a result of your actions. If I sound stern, good. That's my intention.

I think you need a vacation, that is a high-stress job after all.

I've done peripheral work around 911 PSAPs and sat in fire alarm dispatch centers for several jurisdictions. The volume of calls for frequent flyers and other ridiculous wastes of time far exceeds a handful of people calling 911, stating that they are testing, and hanging up. Stem the tide of the people calling up 911 who "don't feel well" or just want somebody to talk to, then we'll be down into the noise of worrying about a few Evo users making ONE test call per PSAP.

Also, your strident view on this matter is not shared by many of the communications managers who ultimately have a say in this, in my experience. They seemed like reasonable folks when I have encountered them.

Finally, I have assisted with road testing a major wireless carrier during switch boundary transitions and we were REQUIRED to place repeated 911 calls to ascertain that the routing was configured properly along the jurisdictional borders. Granted, these tests were done starting a little after midnight when your call volume and ours is near its nadir; we're not trying to irritate you, just making sure that those many lives at stake that you cite can get through when they need to.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Congratulations, you installed "peripherals" in a 911 center so now you're an expert on call volume and triage everywhere. Give this man a headset! Ha. You have no idea what you're talking about. If everyone waited their turn and called one at a time, you might have a leg to stand on. But since that isn't how it works, I suggest you go back to installing and let the dispatchers do the dispatching.

Your comparison is invalid. Your modifying the switch that has to handle and route 911 calls. Of course you have to test it and its pre-arranged. You're doing planned "official work on the official system". This is not a comparison to calling 911 on your personal cell phone interrupting other real emergencies to see if your phone works. Try comparing apples to apples if you want to present a valid debate.

Upvote 0
Congratulations, you installed "peripherals" in a 911 center so now you're an expert on call volume and triage everywhere. Give this man a headset! Ha. You have no idea what you're talking about. If everyone waited their turn and called one at a time, you might have a leg to stand on. But since that isn't how it works, I suggest you go back to installing and let the dispatchers do the dispatching.

Your comparison is invalid. Your modifying the switch that has to handle and route 911 calls. Of course you have to test it and its pre-arranged. You're doing planned "official work on the official system". This is not a comparison to calling 911 on your personal cell phone interrupting other real emergencies to see if your phone works. Try comparing apples to apples if you want to present a valid debate.

You keep saying not to call because someone might need help. So what happens when I make a serious life or death call to 911 and my phone reboots? Lets say I'm having a heart attack and I'm hone alone. If my phone reboots and I die because I couldn't make a very brief test call. I'm dead because you wouldn't allow my test call.

My death is now your fault. I hope that makes you warm and fuzzy. But hay you stopped my test call didn't you.

I have not placed a test call but I did make a real 911 call and my phone worked fine.

Upvote 0
You keep saying not to call because someone might need help. So what happens when I make a serious life or death call to 911 and my phone reboots? Lets say I'm having a heart attack and I'm hone alone. If my phone reboots and I die because I couldn't make a very brief test call. I'm dead because you wouldn't allow my test call.

My death is now your fault. I hope that makes you warm and fuzzy. But hay you stopped my test call didn't you.

hahahahaha. Actually your death would be the fault of your failing heart. Your faulty cell phone may or may not be a contributing factor in your death depending on the other factors of the incident. None the less, I would have nothing to do with it depsite your desire to blame everyone else for everything. Nice try though, I'm surprised it took this long for someone to blame me for a death in this thread.

Upvote 0
Lets say I'm having a heart attack and I'm hone alone. If my phone reboots and I die because I couldn't make a very brief test call. I'm dead because you wouldn't allow my test call.

My death is now your fault.

You either need to:
1) Lay off the orange soda and twinkies and get on the treadmill, or
2) Get a Life Call pendant. You press the button on the pendant. Shout out "I've fallen and can't get up". Life Call will send an ambulance to your door in minutes. They'll even notify the emergency room what you are allergic to. Well, I can't guarantee all of that, but that's what the commercial said.

Next time you "test", just to make sure the entire system is working, you should not tell them it's a test, you should wait until you are on the emergency room operating table and then sit up, tell them its a test, and go through your list of concerns - i.e. phone reboot, ambulance took too long, loud siren sound, ambulance might get a flat, hospital door might get stuck, doctor may not be well rested.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones