• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Cellular Service Blocker App...

mcast1286

Lurker
Jul 13, 2012
Hi,

I'm new to Android phones. I have a question about cellular usage. I'd like to get an app for my daughter which I can set restrictions as to how many minutes per day she can use her cellular service, or block service for a certain period of time altogether. I want her to learn to use her wifi service for calls and texts as much as possible. Is there any app out there that will do this job, and not allow her to turn the cellular service back on herself? If not an app, then a program I can install on my computer to set & control the phone?

Appreciate some help.

Mike

If you don't trust her to restrict the amount of time she spends on the phone (and I'll give you that kids just won't .... ) why not get her a SIM card that is 'pay as you go' (PAYG)? That way you say 'here's 10 pounds of credit. I'll let you have another 10 pounds next month'.

From your language use I'd say you were from the US so not sure if they do those there (PAYG SIM cards) but all the carriers can supply them back here in the good ol' UK ....

Dave

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys... Yes, my phones are all "Pay-as you go" - I refuse to pay the outrageous prices that the cell companies what for unlimited service. Second, I don't want my 14 y/o daughter suddenly empowered with the world at her fingertips - the good and the bad. Children need structure, and I want to give it to her.

I'll look some more... thanks for your thoughts.

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys... Yes, my phones are all "Pay-as you go" - I refuse to pay the outrageous prices that the cell companies what for unlimited service. Second, I don't want my 14 y/o daughter suddenly empowered with the world at her fingertips - the good and the bad. Children need structure, and I want to give it to her.

I'll look some more... thanks for your thoughts.

What you're looking for is more than likely going to be offered by your carrier. I did manage to find a blog post by another mom where she discusses which carriers are offering what type of parental controls.

Parental Controls for Cell Phones - The Online Mom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones