• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A few questions:

1) Is it possible to get rid of Carrier spam apps from your phone Without rooting it? (Dont want to root it as it voids warranty and i only got this phone yesterday) E.G Most of that lot.
screenshot_2012-01-26_2215.png

2) If that isnt possible, is it possible to Stop processes from these aps going on.
screenshot_2012-01-26_2210.png

Because some aps as shown above i don't want running like face book or liveware. After killing these processes they restart almost instantly.

Mainly want to try and reduce my memory usage as its quite high:
http://www.kennyiststudios.co.uk/images/screenshot_2012-01-26_2210_1.png

Thanks.

hi and welcome to the android world..

1. no.. must have root.

2. no.. must have root.

but on the bright side... with android..you dont have to worry about free memory RAM. it is not necessary. this is a 180 from windows world.

best you forget about it.. push it out of our thoughts.. just use your phone and enjoy.
let android worry about that for you.

Upvote 0
hi and welcome to the android world..

1. no.. must have root.

2. no.. must have root.

but on the bright side... with android..you dont have to worry about free memory RAM. it is not necessary. this is a 180 from windows world.

best you forget about it.. push it out of our thoughts.. just use your phone and enjoy.
let android worry about that for you.

Hi, And not quite so new. Had a xperia X10 mini for a 18 months. Never did any experimenting with roms or anything since it was so crap.

1. Actually there might be a way, After looking around people can do it by ADB and it doesn't void warranty or anything like that.

And alright.

Upvote 0
I know by kennyist's screenshot that he isn't running ICS, but I wanted to put this out there for ICS users that may be on the forums.

On Android 4.0 under apps | settings you can choose to disable apps (sorta like renaming this bloatware.apk to bloatware.apk.bak leaving the file there but it won't load or show up in the app drawer.

I know the only phone with a stock ICS right now that has bloatware is the VZW GNex (and at that it is only two not so horrible ones) and it works on these, I would imagine that this will be an important feature as more phones are released or upgraded to ICS.

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones