• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Mid Range Android Dilemma, PLEASE HELP! XD

Which phone should I get???

• LG Optimus 4X HD (Unlocked)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sony Xperia T (Unlocked)

• Sony Xperia TX (Unlocked)

• HTC One X (Unlocked)

• Total voters

BlazeDAmaN

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
I wrote a lot because I am insane, so please feel free to simply read this summary!! LMAO :smokingsomb:
vvvvvv
Summary: I'm trying to choose an unlocked mid range phone for $300-$350. I want a compact, sturdy, reliable, stylish, fast phone, with a good battery, good graphics, a good camera, good sound quality, little bloatware, and good networktivity. I have narrowed it down to 5 phones: LG Optimus 4X HD, Sony Xperia T, LG Google Nexus 4, Sony Xperia TX, and HTC One X. I think I can throw out the Sony Xperia TX due to size, price, and fragility, and throw out the N4 for the same reasons, plus low storage capacity of 8GB (the 16GB is out of my price range). I think I can throw out the One X because of speaker and microphone issues, as well as it being lower end than the more current options. That leaves the 4X and Xperia T, both of which I like. The 4X has great battery and all around quality, except speakers, while the Xperia T is faster and more compact, with good speakers. (I know a lot of what I just said is probably highly controversial, so please post any and all feedback to help me make a decision). Please vote for the phone you think I should get in the poll above! Thanks!!!! :)

Dear World,

I am suffering from acute Androidosis. It's been awhile now, and the pain is just too much to bear. You see, I am looking to buy an unlocked phone in the price range of $300-$350. Of course this means jumping back a generation or two of soft and hard wares. It's come down to 5 phones.

1.) LG Optimus 4X HD [4X]
2.) Sony Xperia T [T]
3.) LG Google Nexus 4 [N4]
4.) Sony Xperia TX [TX]
5.) HTC One X [1X]

All 5 are around the same price unlocked, though the TX may be a bit much, and I hear that it creaks and feels fragile/cheap.
Price Winner: Xperia T, Runner Ups: Optimus 4X & One X, Losers: Nexus 4 & Xperia TX

I'm not really concerned with the release dates or original OS versions of the phones, though I know they can correlate to quality and performance of the phones. I know the LG Optimus 4X HD and HTC One X are the oldest, being released in February 2012 with 4.0.3, followed by the Sony Xperia T and TX, released in August 2012 with 4.0.4, and finally by the LG Google Nexus 4 in October 2012 with 4.2.
Modern Winner: Nexus 4, Runner Ups: Xperia T & Xperia TX, Losers: Optimus 4X & One X

I do prefer more compact phones, and I am not a screen size Junky at all, quite the opposite really. The T is the smallest in terms of height and width, which is good, and the screen size is 4.5" compared to the 4.6" of the TX and 4.7" of the other 3, but it is the thickest of all five at .37 inches, though all 5 phones range in thickness of .34 to .37 inches, only a .03 inch difference (TX=.34, 1X&4X=.35, N4=.36). The 1X is the largest followed by the N4, 4X, and TX. The 4X is the heaviest, but I'm not very concered with weight, I actually prefer substance over lightness. The TX is the lightest, again lending to its feelings of fragility by reviewers.
Size/Weight/Screen Size Winner: Xperia T, Runner Ups: Optimus 4X, Nexus 4, Xperia TX, & One X

The N4 has a slightly higher resolution at 768*1280, but none of the phones have full 1080p displays, the other 4 sporting 720*1280 resolution. However, the T does have the highest pixel density of 323, followed by the TX, N4, and then the 1X and 4X at only 312, though not a huge difference.
Resolution Winner: Nexus 4, Runner Up: Xperia T & Xperia TX, Losers: Optimus 4X & One X

The 4X and N4 both have IPS LCDs, and the 4X has a very thin layer of glass, I hear it's like you are actually touching the pixels, but I believe all 5 phones have gorilla glass. The 1X supposedly has the best screen, a Super LCD 2, and the T and TX have only TFT screens, which have poor viewing angles and cause slight distortion upon touch. After reading reviews though, all of the screens seem to be pretty pretty. ;P
Display Winner: One X, Runner Ups: Nexus 4 & Optimus 4X, Losers: Xperia T & Xperia TX

Battery life is a very important factor to me, as I am usually to lazy to charge my stuff. On battery capacity, the 4X really shines with a 2150 capacity, followed by the 2100 of the N4. The T only has 1850, and the 1X has just 1800, followed by a meager 1750 for the TX. The TX makes for its lower battery capacity compared to the T with its removable back cover, but the 1X does not have a removable cover, making the battery life of the One X troublesome. The N4 supports wireless charging which is nifty, but i doubt I would by a charging plate any time soon.
Battery Winner: Optimus 4X, Runner Ups: Nexus 4 & Xperia T, Losers: Xperia TX & One X

The N4 has the best chipset, an S4 APQ8064, sporting a quad core 1.5GHz, Adreno 320, and 2GB of RAM at 533MHz. The T and TX both have dual core 1.5GHz S3s with Adreno 225 and 1GB of RAM at 500MHz. The 4X and 1X both have Tegra 3 T30 quad cores at 1.5GHz, GeForce 520 graphics and 1GB of RAM, though the 4X's RAM is clocked faster at 1.07GHz compared to the 1X's 500MHz. When it comes to the chips, the S4>Tegra 3>S3, giving the 4X second place with its faster RAM, followed by the 1X, and then the TX and T.
Chipset Winner: Nexus 4, Runner Up: Optimus 4X & One X, Losers: Xperia T & Xperia TX

Besides battery, built-in storage is another VERY important factor for me. This is where the N4, with its AWFUL 8GB un-formatted storage really FAILS. The 16GB version is out of my price range after tax and shipping, and even that isn't very good considering the N4 has no microSD slot for extended storage. The N4 is the big loser here, though I know Google is only trying to push its cloud business and keep costs down (even though when you buy an Xperia T from Sony, you get free cloud storage for life from Box). The T and TX both have 16GB built-in and accept 32GB microSDs, while the 1X has 32GB built-in, but doesnt have a microSD slot. The 4X happily meets in the middle with 16GB built-in with acceptance of 64GB microSDs.
Storage Winner: Optimus 4X, Runner Ups: One X, Xperia T, & Xperia TX, Loser: Nexus 4

Regarding the cameras, I am a firm believer that Megapixels are not everything. The T and TX both have 13MP back cameras, though the T's seems to be slightly better, while the other 3 have 8MP. I have heard different views about each camera, but if you ask me, they are all most likely fantastic, and ignorance is bliss when you dont have the other phones to compare it to in real life. They all record in full 1080p (even though the screen resolutions of each are less) at 30fps, but I have read that the 1X's camcorder can drop to 23fps in lowlight conditions, again, not really a big deal, it's probably still pretty great. All 5 phones have 1.3MP front cameras that record at 720p, cool.
Cameras Winners: Xperia T, Runner Ups: Nexus 4, Xperia TX, Optimus 4X, & One X

The 4X and 1X do show there age when it comes to their radio frequency bands. They only get up to 21.1Mbps on HSDPA+ compare to 42.2Mbps on the newer T, TX, and N4. Probably not too big of a deal, but still worth considering, especially since both T-Mobile and ATT now have 4G pre-paid and monthly plans. None of the 5 support LTE, not really a big deal for me, since by the time LTE is completely set-up on the major networks, I'll most likely be able to afford a higher end phone anyway. The 4X uses a standard SIM card, while the other 4 use micro SIMS, not really a ig deal since I'll be buying a new SIM anyway. I do like that the N4, T, and 1X have dedicated SIM slots on the outsides of the phones. Removing the back covers of the TX and 4X is just a hassle and tends to decrease the phones build quality over time, though the removable back is awesome when it comes to battery replacement, which is great if I ever feel the need to carry an extra battery around. The T and TX have 3.1 Bluetooth, while the other 3 have 4.0, not a big deal since I literally never used Bluetooth for anything other than my PS3 controllers (lol). I like that you can plug the N4 directly into your TV without having to buy that MHL thing that the other 4 phones require.
Networking Winners: Xperia T & Xperia TX, Runner Up: Nexus 4, Losers: Optimus 4X & One X

When it comes to irradiation of my brain, I am concerned. The 4X is great, only giving off .51W/kg, followed by the N4 sat .55, and the 1X at .6. But when it comes to the T and TX.....Sony must be insane, perhaps James Bond is better adept at fighting off radiation then the rest of us (Xperia T joke). The T gives off twice as much at 1.07W/kg, followed by the 1.08 of the TX. Jeez.
Health Winner: Optimus 4X, Runner Ups: One X & Nexus 4, Losers: Xperia T & Xperia TX

The Speaker quality is a minor purchasing factor for me, just because I like sound. :) The 4X and 1X both apparently have poor speaker quality, perhaps reflecting on Tegra 3 processors, though I have no idea if that's true or not. This is odd considering the 1X supposedly has Beats Audio. Apparently when the phone was released, many people laughed about that fact. The T and TX both have stereo speakers and the sound quality seems to be better, perhaps reflecting better sound quality by Qualcomm processors over Nvidia. The N4, with its Qualcomm processor, has loud audio, but the speakers are not stereo and apparently give off a slightly hallowed out, high treble quality lacking in bass.
Audio Winner: Xperia T & Xperia TX, Runner Up: Nexus 4, One X, & Optimus 4X

The N4 and 4X supposedly have crystal clear call quality and cell connection. The T and TX both were apparently lacking in call quality until an update which provided Sony HD Voice, though it's unclear how much better the call quality is nowadays. The 1X supposedly has really bad call quality, to the point where reviewers were saying that people could barely hear them during phone calls. It was also being reported that the 1X suffered from poor front speakers for phone calls and their were many reports of microphones failing, leading to poor to inexistent talk quality and capability during phone calls and voice recordings.
Call Quality Winners: Nexus 4 & Optimus 4X, Runner Ups: Xperia T & TX, Loser: One X

Finally, the build quality of the product as a whole is quite important to me. I want something that feels sturdy, feels substantial in my hand, doesn't creak, is strong, scratch and shatter resistant, has ergonomic button placement, visually appealing screen placement and logo placement, good speakers, good microphones, a good camera containment, good SIM tray, and secure back cover if there is one. The 4X seems to meet most of those qualities: it isn't too thin, but it isn't thick, it isn't too light nor too heavy, there arent many reports of creaking, it's build strong with a metal border around the phone, it has gorilla glass and a grippy back, its buttons are normally placed, it's lines look elegant, it has good microphones, a good camera build, no reports of faulty SIM trays, and the cover is snug and sturdy. The only thing it lacks are good speakers, but headphones can always solve that problem.

The T has poorly placed buttons, but it is sturdy and strong, and has good speakers. It's microphones could be better though, and it has no removable back cover. Sony could have given it a better screen.

The TX on the other hand looks very elegant, but seems to be extremely fragile and creaky, with an unsturdy back cover, though it is removable. Again, Sony could have given it a better screen.

The N4 is made of glass, literally, and there are reports of the back cracking unexpectedly, leaving the camera completely unusuable. Reviewers seem to have mixed feeling about the rest of its build quality though. When it comes down to it though, the built-in storage and lack of expansionary memory capabilities is the biggest deal breaker for me in regards to the N4, which is a shame because it was the first phone that I got really excited about when I started looking for a new phone, followed by the T.

The 1X has exceptional build quality, but has poor speakers and microphones, and no removable back cover.

Build Quality Winners: One X, Xperia T, & Optimus 4X, Runner Up: Nexus 4, Loser: Xperia TX

4X: Wins= 5, Runs= 6, Loss= 3
T: Wins= 6, Runs= 5, Loss= 3
N4: Wins= 4, Runs= 8, Loss= 2
TX: Wins= 2, Runs= 6, Loss= 6
1X: Wins= 2, Runs= 7, Loss= 5

Scoring: 1 Win= +1, 1 Run= +.25, 1 Loss= -.5
Subjective Major Problem= -1

LG Optimus 4X HD Score: 5 {5+6*.25-3*.5= 5}
Sony Xperia T Score: 5.75 {6+5*.25-3*.5= 5.75}
LG Google Nexus 4 Score: 4 {4+8*.25-2*.5-1= 4}
Sony Xperia TX Score: .5 {2+6*.25-6*.5= .5}
HTC One X Score: 1.25 {2+7*.25-5*.5= 1.25}
Turn Score order into Qualitative Ranking to remove range peculiarity...

#1: T
#2: 4X
#3: N4
#4: 1X
#5: TX

Looking at scoring from my spec comparison in the attached file, the scores were:

#1: 4X
#2: T
#3: N4
#4: TX
#5: 1X

Since the TX and 1X are the last 2 in both rankings, and the 4X, T, and N4 are the first 3 in both rankings, I think I can eliminate the TX and 1X. The N4 was in 3rd in both rankings, so I think I can eliminate the N4.

If I had to eliminate one, I think I could eliminate the TX. That would leave me with the T, N4, 4X, and 1X. The 4X seems to be the better pick between the 4X and 1X, but I could be wrong... So that would leave me with the 4X, N4, and T. The N4 has terrible sotrage capabilities, which would leave me with the 4X and T. I hear the T is severely bloated with Sony's OS features, but I'm not sure about the 4X (the N4 has a very lean OS, which is awesome, too bad for the storage issues.

I would definately get the N4 if the 16GB was in my price range, it's a shame really. But the T and 4X seem to better all around picks than the N4 and TX especially. Ill probably get the N5 next year after it's been out awhile, if it has better storage capabilities and is in my price range, but for now I need a phone, and I'm not sure the N4 is the best fit. I like the compactness and studieness of the T a lot, but I like the all around specs of the 4X better.

So have I narrowed down my choices well, or have I thrown out the TX, 1X, and N4 unfairly? I know the N4 is a great phone, the TX is beautiful, and the 1X has a lot of fans. I'm not trying to insult any of these phones, I'm just trying to find the best fit for me, you know? :)

I believe it may end up as a decision between the 4X and T. :smokingsomb: lol

Help me decide, give me your input! :D

Thank you guys,
BlazeDAmaN

Attachments

• phonecomparison.doc
    73.5 KB · Views: 117

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones