• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A possible solution to battery issues after sept 16 update!!

Are you saying that if you don't use media hub then there is no need to kill the service app?

The DRM service starts at bootup and runs whether you use Media Hub or not.

Battery drain can have multiple causes. This seems to be one of them. I also have seen the service for the Sprint Wifi hotspot running, which I never started. I stopped that as well.

Upvote 0
Does yours stay closed? Mine auto-reopens them. My phone refuses to sleep.~

The only task that seems to reopen is consistently is "com.android.providers.drm." The wording makes me wonder if this is really one of the critical DRM services that is draining the battery or simply a task which is common to the android OS.

1. You can set Task Killer to be more "Aggressive" or even "Crazy" in auto-killing any apps or activities you checkmark (yes, those are the names of the settings). I've been reluctant to use them without more research on the effect, but it seems to me that Task Killer can be set to quit DRM-free searches for you.

2. If DRM-related services are reopening, it makes me wonder whether another script or app which is visible in the same window is responsible for reopening them and can be quit preemptively.

The OP on Android Central claims the DRM has not come back since the Sprint techs fiddled with it. S/he's also being quite unspecific about the names of the services themselves, which makes me wonder if s/he's completely aware of what else the techs might have killed to keep the DRM services from reopening.

========================

Edit:

On the process of elimination, the OP turns out to be extremely specific:

To my knowledge that's all they did. They hooked it into a computer and took readings, turning on/off apps, getting readings to see if they were idle, how often they updated etc. that's what they came back with. They shut down DRM and media hub and told me to leave gtalk alone. They said only 5 things should be running in the background. IQ service, sprint extension, swype, sns and gtalk. I am supposed to contact them on Tuesday with an update. So far so good for me.

Therefore, the techs inferred that any background tasks besides those five were suspect. You can experiment with killing any others that arise to see if that stops your DRM from reappearing.

Upvote 0
However, do be advised that not everyone thinks aggressive task killing is a great idea. In the words of our mod:

Typically, messing around with task killers and killing services will have more harmful effects than helpful.

This bit can also be helpful:

Type *#4636*1111# into the dialer to see specifics about your phone, battery and usage (and to run ping tests, if you feel so inclined).

Upvote 0
I see, well, even after killing all the drms my phone still doesn't want to sleep. It seriously has cut battery life in half.

What is your TWS percentage?? Somebody reported that the replacement phone was doing much better in terms of battery life. Looks like it could be a hardware or battery issue. Read this post. That guy said his replacement phone is of 10.09 build date and has 0% Time Without Signal. Battery life on Epic has one too many variables associated with it. Also, read this post. I hope this could help.

Upvote 0
What is your TWS percentage?? Somebody reported that the replacement phone was doing much better in terms of battery life. Looks like it could be a hardware or battery issue. Read this post. That guy said his replacement phone is of 10.09 build date and has 0% Time Without Signal. Battery life on Epic has one too many variables associated with it. Also, read this post. I hope this could help.

My TWS is like 30% but I get 0 bars where I live... it goes down to 10% while I'm at work though (10.08 build).

Upvote 0
Are you guys killing the "OmaDrmconfigservice" ? Thats the only DRm file I can find to kill.

Same question. Can someone share some knowledge on this? :)

This is a pretty significant issue. My phone is not lasting through the day whereas it did prior to the update. For those who have done "something" to get increased battery life, please be real specific as to where, what, and how, so the noobs can follow along. Even a noob needs battery life!

Reactions: afowdy1003
Upvote 0
So if the problem is with the update, why isn't everyone experiencing the battery drain if the culprit is the Media Hub app? Every Epic has this application, so every Epic should have this problem.

I don't run any task killers, and my awake time is usually about 10% higher than my screen-on time, which seems to mirror my experience with both the Moment and Hero.

Upvote 0
My phone has been working fine for the past week now. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I do know that after rebooting the handset, it went from 100% awake time to about 20% awake time (which is probably about right for my usage).

Battery life seems to be just fine.

I just keep checking every once in a while to see if it's getting hung up again, but so far, so good.

-SF

Upvote 0
killed drm process today, and still crap for battery life.

VERY little use today, and still dead after 10 hours.

1% time without signal. no drm. 100% time w/out sleep. :mad:

I had this problem yesterday, even after killing the DRM my phone still refused to sleep. To correct this I had to reboot my phone and then kill the process and my running time goes down to 15%. I don't know why but sometimes it will randomly decide to not sleep anymore after a few hours.. regardless of DRM running or not and I'll have to restart the phone and kill DRM again to correct the issue..

I don't get it, it seems to only sleep sometimes after I kill the process! Sometimes after I turn on my phone and kill it, it still wont sleep.. other times it will sleep the whole day no problem -_-

Reactions: PoundSand
Upvote 0
I charged the phone with the phone off. (So, basically, while the phone is charging all you see is the big battery icon.)
  • When the battery became fully charged, I kept the phone plugged in and booted into the OS.
  • After Android had booted, it thought the battery wasn't fully charged (WTF?), so I let it finish charging.
  • After the OS thought the battery had fully charged, I unplugged the phone and used it as I normally do.
It's been 2 days since this happened and

what worries me about this process is that when you turn on the android after charged, the orange light goes off for a few seconds while the phone loads up and then back on. wouldn't think be like unplugging your phone and plugging it back in just for a few minutes. other articles say batteries can only be charged so many times and you just used two of them instead of one.

Upvote 0
I had this problem yesterday, even after killing the DRM my phone still refused to sleep. To correct this I had to reboot my phone and then kill the process and my running time goes down to 15%. I don't know why but sometimes it will randomly decide to not sleep anymore after a few hours.. regardless of DRM running or not and I'll have to restart the phone and kill DRM again to correct the issue..

I don't get it, it seems to only sleep sometimes after I kill the process! Sometimes after I turn on my phone and kill it, it still wont sleep.. other times it will sleep the whole day no problem -_-

*sniff* i'm so happy. 9 hours off battery and i have 66% left, and less than 10% time w/out sleep.

that swings it from me returning the phone to keeping it. :cool:

Upvote 0
*sniff* i'm so happy. 9 hours off battery and i have 66% left, and less than 10% time w/out sleep.

that swings it from me returning the phone to keeping it. :cool:

alright, it looks like the time without sleep problem would return after about a day or so.

however, the DI18 update seems to have fixed it. it also has resolved my "time w/out signal" - no need to toggle airplane mode everyday. at least it seems resolved after 2 days. we'll see if it sticks. :D

Upvote 0
alright, it looks like the time without sleep problem would return after about a day or so.

however, the DI18 update seems to have fixed it. it also has resolved my "time w/out signal" - no need to toggle airplane mode everyday. at least it seems resolved after 2 days. we'll see if it sticks. :D

that time without signal has been odd, after the last update, it didn't happen without me toggling the first few times I rebooted, and since this di18, I've seen it go for hours without happening, and then suddenly show 60% time w/o signal again -- on times I haven't toggled airplane mode. it's very odd.

I haven't tried killing drm or anything, but my battery life has also been inconsistent since the media hub update. It didn't seem like it was always draining, but sometimes it would just go and go. I installed juicedefender and on the default settings it seems to be helping a lot. 1 hour 40 minutes off the charger and I'm still at 94% with just a little light usage. previously, i was often losing 10% an hour or so even when the phone was idle on wifi.

Upvote 0
Hah, I noticed this service and tried killing it yesterday, but I also killed the gtalk app and didn't see any difference in battery life. I just rebooted my phone and only killed the DRM service, so let's see if that does anything.

"do not kill the gtalk service app, this also causes battery to drain quickly. Here is the link to the thread."

maybe that's one of the reasons you didn't see much improvements ...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones