• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A simple SMS redirect? So confusing....

jackdashack

Jan 16, 2016
I have read and read and read apps just for a simple redirect of the text of the sms to my gmail email account. It's confusing. I would like one that does not require the phone to be on. I have it off most the time while home, battery issues. But if someone did send a text message would be nice to know by coming to my email. They all are so confusing. I tried several and they didn't work. One worked but the cell phone needs to be on? How does that help. If I get a text I'll just read it from the phone. But what, as I said, if you want to leave the cell phone off and get them in your email. Anyone know of a simple solution via and app? Thanks so much! jackdashack

If the phone is off how can an app on the phone redirect the message? You'd need the mobile network to do that.

Edit: ninja'd ;)
The text is on a server somewhere before it comes to the phone. I would have thought it could be redirected there. But I get your drift and no argument for your answer. I need to do more study on it. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Yes, the text is in your carrier's system, so they are the only people who can redirect it. So it's only possible if they have implemented that, which as AZgl1500 says is likely to be a chargeable service if they have done it at all. Nothing you can do if they don't offer that service, so the only study to do is whether they offer it.

Upvote 0
Yes, the text is in your carrier's system, so they are the only people who can redirect it. So it's only possible if they have implemented that, which as AZgl1500 says is likely to be a chargeable service if they have done it at all. Nothing you can do if they don't offer that service, so the only study to do is whether they offer it.

Understood! Thanks. There are apps that redirect but as mentioned the phone has to be on to redirect. That's the way I'll have to go if I do. Thanks for all the input!

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones