• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

a52, a52s or a53

G

godlovingman

Sorry I have a hard time making my mind up on buying stuff I research and research before finally buying something. I was thinking about get an a53 5g but researching a lot of people say the older a52 model is far superior to the a53. Can someone tell me the difference between the a52 and a52s? And if one of them would be a better choice over the a53 I've been thinking about getting? I want to ask people who know way more about the subject than me so I can make the best decision I can TIA!

A52S over the A52 or A53. Better processor (SD778) headphone jack, charger in the box.
I think 3 OS uodates for A52S from whatever version on it's September 21 release, possibly 4 for the A53 from March 22 release.
I may be incorrect on the number of OS, but I checked yesterday.
The A52 is fine if you can get it cheaply in good condition. It has a mildly weaker SoC with the SD720 but probably not much performance difference than the Exynos in the newer A53. The A52 came out in March 21.

Try GSMArena or Phone Arena where you can compare their features against one another.

All depends on what deals you can get really.

Upvote 0
A52S over the A52 or A53. Better processor (SD778) headphone jack, charger in the box.
I think 3 OS uodates for A52S from whatever version on it's September 21 release, possibly 4 for the A53 from March 22 release.
I may be incorrect on the number of OS, but I checked yesterday.
The A52 is fine if you can get it cheaply in good condition. It has a mildly weaker SoC with the SD720 but probably not much performance difference than the Exynos in the newer A53. The A52 came out in March 21.

Try GSMArena or Phone Arena where you can compare their features against one another.

All depends on what deals you can get really.
I've been leaning towards the a53 5g I can get for less brand new than a a52 or a52s used I feel like the 53 being a year or so newer it'll have more years of support over the 52 models thus making it a better option to me.

Upvote 0
I agree. From that point of view it's a no brainer. The older A52S tests better performance wise, and some reviewers noticed a few performance hiccups and considered the Exynos a mild step backward though most people won't notice.
I would more heartily have recommended the A52s say three months ago when that was being reduced and the A53 was high; plus I like an old fashioned headphone jack and getting a charger in the box.

Go for the A53 and get longer uodates for a good price.

Worth mentioning there's an A73 but not in all markets and that has the Snapdragon SD778 of the A52s.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I agree. From that point of view it's a no brainer. The older A52S tests better performance wise, and some reviewers noticed a few performance hiccups and considered the Exynos a mild step backward though most people won't notice.
I would more heartily have recommended the A52s say three months ago when that was being reduced and the A53 was high; plus I like an old fashioned headphone jack and getting a charger in the box.

Go for the A53 and get longer uodates for a good price.

Worth mentioning there's an A73 but not in all markets and that has the Snapdragon SD778 of the A52s.
Thank you the headphone jack doesn't bother me I use wireless headphones if I use my phone for music through Pandora. I don't watch videos on my phone I use my laptop plugged into my t.v. with an HDMI cable. The brick not coming with the phone doesn't bother me I have 2 bricks for my OLD s6 I have now.

Upvote 0
Cool. I watch or read a lot of reviews, so... many think in isolation it doesn't perform quite as well as the model it replaced.

Surprisingly to me the A53 will have a birthday next month, but it gets the newer extended updates of 4 years OS and 5 years Security patches from release date.

I'm curious which side of the pond you found those deals. I'm in the UK, and I haven't looked at pricing as I'm quite happy atm with mine, but I'll assume you're Stateside and found those deals either with a carrier or Amazon / Best Buy.

I'm sure you'll love it, and no reply needed.
You've made the right selection for you.

At this point I would probably go for the A53 especially with the ongoing support, but I had a crush on the A52s for a while when I was thinking of trading around. :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Cool. I watch or read a lot of reviews, so... many think in isolation it doesn't perform quite as well as the model it replaced.

Surprisingly to me the A53 will have a birthday next month, but it gets the newer extended updates of 4 years OS and 5 years Security patches from release date.

I'm curious which side of the pond you found those deals. I'm in the UK, and I haven't looked at pricing as I'm quite happy atm with mine, but I'll assume you're Stateside and found those deals either with a carrier or Amazon / Best Buy.

I'm sure you'll love it, and no reply needed.
You've made the right selection for you.

At this point I would probably go for the A53 especially with the ongoing support, but I had a crush on the A52s for a while when I was thinking of trading around. :)
Yes I'm in the US I can get a new a53 5g from total by Verizon for $200 shipped 2 day.

Upvote 0
Yeah but with the A series it's not so cut and dry.

Although you had to pay attention when they went from S10 to the S20, as they don't use generational numbers anymore but years. S20 = 2020 for example, while S10 was 10th Generation.

Then there's the 's' moniker that means nothing. The A02s is not specced higher (and in fact is lower in some respects) compared with the A02. If that's Samsung's way to cop the Apple moniker (lowercase 's' for the updated version of the same phone, aka iPhone 4s vs. iPhone 4) they're doing a bad job.

Upvote 0
Great deal, especially if Verizon coverage works best for you.

I looked at the Total by Verizon site yesterday.

The phone is yours and you can cancel or change the 30 day plan.

Reminds me of my first Android in early 2012.
I was able to get the Galaxy S2 for I think £149 if I got a sim through MVNO Talkmobile. I had seen one in use at the Olympic Park where I was working.
They were still retailing for £500+ (though the Galaxy S3 had just come out a little earlier), and that would have been too high iPhone territory money for me so I was happy with the deal. Can't remember if it was a 24 month sim plan or 30 days.
Included was a whopping 500mb of data which could be topped up. :)

Enjoy it when it arrives. Thanks for updating.

Upvote 0
Samsung my god please stop with the confusing naming scheme of letters/numbers. No one knows what's the better or worse or newer or older anymore.
I agree about all the A series variants and the regular model changes. Some customers will check, many will not.
Other large OEM"s do the same though. Xiaomi / Redmi / Poco in particular have 2,3 or 4 models with the same number but they also have a very wide range at any given time.

It's easy to buy the wrong model instead of a recommended one. Caveat emptor.

Upvote 0
I'm well aware that OEMs are also using letters/numbers. Still confusing. Car manufacturers do the same. Maybe I'm just gettin' too old for this ****

Thankfully my two vehicles have names. Saturn Ion, Honda Ridgeline.

Even my computers have names. Dell Vostro. Dell Latitude. I was brought up to believe that if it's not important enough to give it a name, it's not going to be of very good quality. That rang true as every foreign car in the USA in the 80s was utter garbage, be it a Subaru XT6 or a Honda CVCC to a Bricklin SV1. All junk.

Upvote 0
Yeah but with the A series it's not so cut and dry.

Although you had to pay attention when they went from S10 to the S20, as they don't use generational numbers anymore but years. S20 = 2020 for example, while S10 was 10th Generation.

Then there's the 's' moniker that means nothing. The A02s is not specced higher (and in fact is lower in some respects) compared with the A02. If that's Samsung's way to cop the Apple moniker (lowercase 's' for the updated version of the same phone, aka iPhone 4s vs. iPhone 4) they're doing a bad job.

Quite frankly I've not really taken much of an interest in lower to mid-range Samsung phones, like A series. The only one I ever had was a Galaxy Core Duos, I bought 10 years ago. No idea what they meant by the "Core" name, but the "Duos", meant it was a dual-SIM device.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm well aware that OEMs are also using letters/numbers. Still confusing. Car manufacturers do the same. Maybe I'm just gettin' too old for this ****

Thankfully my two vehicles have names. Saturn Ion, Honda Ridgeline.

Even my computers have names. Dell Vostro. Dell Latitude. I was brought up to believe that if it's not important enough to give it a name, it's not going to be of very good quality. That rang true as every foreign car in the USA in the 80s was utter garbage, be it a Subaru XT6 or a Honda CVCC to a Bricklin SV1. All junk.

I believe Dell calls a majority of their laptops "Latitude", and has done so since 1994, with "Vostro" for their desktop PCs.
And it's arbitrary numbers that identifies the particular models. Same same with Lenovo(formerly IBM) calls their laptops "Thinkpad", Samsung with "Galaxy" for phones etc.

I've never seen or heard of a Honda Ridgeline or Saturn Ion, but I suspect they've got some other marques outside of the US, in other parts of the world. That's what carmakers do, especially the likes of VW, GM, and Toyota.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones