• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AAPOSOS

Copied/pasted the contents here instead of downloading the pdf: ;)
Please feel free to repost in the proper format.

Clearly, Microsoft Windows now has some very serious competition from Android as to who can develop the WORST Piece of Shit operating system. Though I was a Windows user well before XP, I only recently decided to evolve to the world of smart phones, so a bought an Android phablet. (came with Kit-Kat 4.4.2 then upgraded by the manufacturer to Lollipop). Right from the get-go, I started to experience the things so many online forum users are complaining about…..and without a good resolution. First, most responses to posted problems…particularly from the developers … start with;  You can “TRY”…  … go to the App and “clear the cache”  … go to the App and “clear the data”  Uninstall then reinstall …  Try REBOOTING your device (the classic Microsoft advice since MSDOS!) Here are but a few of the issues I’ve experienced in just my first few weeks, from an OS that is now past six (6) versions;  User installed programs intended to be used in place of the “system” apps tend to be usurped by the default system app after every reboot. That would be like Internet Explorer returning as your default browser automatically every time you start windows. It’s a bitch when you want a better Launcher for example. Yes….”disabled” the default. Why should I have to uninstall an app if I disable it?  Likewise, many “settings” seem to simply be IGNORED by the OS. Mine automatically downloaded and updated apps even when this feature was turned off, but that’s far from the only example. My Loader is another irritating example.  It seems that many apps that are intended to control some feature ALL OF THE TIME, must be started manually EVERY TIME you reboot, or they have no effect. What value is it for things like “sound volume”, “password management”. “push notifications” and the like? At least in Windows I can control which apps and services start at boot up. (Add-on “autostart” apps seem to have no effect)  Many responses to issues start with “… go to SETTINGS>APPS>ALL …” but you have to swipe past 3 other categories to get to the one that you always use. Never saw any advice that asks me to use the “Downloaded” or “Running” or “on SD”, etc. Why can’t “all” just be the default screen?  I’m not experienced yet with “touch screens” of this nature, but I’m wondering if I will EVER stop opening some screen UNINTENTIONALLY.  A big issue for me is that I don’t yet understand which programs automatically start-up at boot and which do not. This is an issue when you have an app that you want to start FIRST and ALWAYS as it impacts many other apps. Yep, already tried an “autostart” app with no joy. Will I get a notification if there is something “incoming” on any of my comm. Apps, or do I need to start and login to each one?  Some settings are done in the Android OS, some in the APP’s own settings and actually, some must be set “online” (Google Play Auto Update for example). Worst is that some changes are required to be done in 2 or 3 different places, or the setting does not change.  Android and installed apps tend to use a moving indicator while something is processing….and like windows, these move even if the process is not working or hangs.  As always with every OS, messages sometimes appear to say there is a problem and what you wanted to do can’t continue…..but never tells you WHAT the problem is or what to do about it.  There seems to be A LOT of apps available with a stated function of making something already on Android work the way it is supposed to work….and these added “fixer” apps don’t seem to fix anything.  Like comments seen all over the web, my device is outrageously SLOW and eats battery life like a fat kid with popcorn at the theatre. I bought a 20,000mha external battery pack just to get through a short flight. As an Android “newbie” it is likely that at least some of the issues result from my lack of experience and understanding. I have long held the opinion that most software developers are too smart for their own good! They create some amazing products….but they lack the ability to put themselves in the place of a typical or average user.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones