• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ? About Turning off Background Data

musikat

May 17, 2010
I know this is one of the "tips" for battery life but what all does it affect (i.e. when does it need to be on to perform a function)? I tried it once and noticed I had to turn it back on to access the market, so I assumed that it would prevent ALL data like that, including web browsing and possibly mail. Is that correct, or does it just affect the market?

I know this is one of the "tips" for battery life but what all does it affect (i.e. when does it need to be on to perform a function)? I tried it once and noticed I had to turn it back on to access the market, so I assumed that it would prevent ALL data like that, including web browsing and possibly mail. Is that correct, or does it just affect the market?

it isn't necessary to disable this or auto-syncing to save battery life. believe me, i know.

Upvote 0
it doesn't need to be off.... i keep it on and it doesnt hurt the pattery life
21 hours off the charger with background data 71% left

yes very light use.... couple calls, text, and checking the weather a few times.
but its how often you have thinks checking that will hurt the batter more then just leaving the background data on

auto sysc off for g-mail, weather, news, stock.... i have my normal mail set at 10 mins

Upvote 0
I say turn it off if you don't want auto notifications.
I have most of my stuff set to synch every 4 hours, so I don't need background data unless I'm dl'ing some apps.

It does save your battery to not have it on.

How exactly do you turn on the background data?
I dont even know how mine got disabled and now its not letting me access my market. please help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones