• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessing a folder

Sunny Rio

Android Enthusiast
  • Dec 4, 2020
    I have an app which claims to store data in the folder "/data/user/0/edu.berkeley.boinc/client"

However Android 11 is being difficult and this path looks different everywhere I look, and I cannot get to the files in it. I tried:

1) USB cable to Windows 11 PC. I thought this showed the whole disk without restrictions. But I see (with the phone set to "USB for file transfer"):
    Card, Phone (those are the two drives, card is the SD card, not applicable here). I remember naming these myself some time ago.
    In "phone" I have no data folder, but I can go into "Android", which then contains "data". Inside "data", there is no "user", but I do find "edu.berkeley.boinc". This however only contains "files" which is empty. So to summarise I looked for "/data/user/0/edu.berkeley.boinc/client" and found only "Android/data/edu.berkeley.boinc/files".

2) The app "Total Commander" which I read elsewhere shows all files without having to root the phone. On this, I see two "drives" listed at the top with a symbol which looks like an SD card. One is called DICAM-400, which I know to be the SD card, that label is made by the camera I took it from. The other is however called "Internal shared storage". So I think it's not getting to see everything. There is also further down the list a folder icon called "file system root" which I thought would be the real root of the drive. I find: "Internal shared storage/Android/data" but find nothing in there except file commander. I also find "file system root/data/data" but find nothing in there except file commander.

Can someone please untangle this mess and stop me going insane? I just want to see what's on the disk and delete some unnecessary things as it's very full.

I could also move apps to the SD card, but the two biggest ones are Boinc and Google Maps, and both do not have the button to move storage to the SD card, presumably they aren't compatible with doing so?

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones