• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories for LG Spectrum with extended battery.

I just received a cheapo Chinese 3800 mAh battery from eBay ($9.99 and free shipping, I had $6.24 in expiring eBay bucks, so I figured why not?)

Charged it up last night, with my phone off, after resetting the battery stats in CWM. I let it go about 2 hours past fully charging. Then started using it. First charge is not so good, going to let it go as low on battery as I can before plugging it back in. Will see if it does any better. I'll add battery life screen shots at 10% and again at 5% for this charge cycle and the next, then I'll post another set next week, so everyone can see if it improves any.

I have contacted the seller, as the neck cover they shipped (shiny, slick, black plastic) does not snap in on the top right hand side...

Also I noticed while swapping the two batteries, the 3800 is only 3.7v the stock is 3.8v...

Upvote 0
It's funny how we all talk about cycling or seasoning a new battery, but truth is, these batteries are supposed to not be affected at all by such things. I wonder if it's more about the phone learning to read a battery with a different rating than the OEM battery?

I have one OEM and two aftermarket batteries, and there is a difference.

Upvote 0
I just received a cheapo Chinese 3800 mAh battery from eBay ($9.99 and free shipping, I had $6.24 in expiring eBay bucks, so I figured why not?)

Charged it up last night, with my phone off, after resetting the battery stats in CWM. I let it go about 2 hours past fully charging. Then started using it. First charge is not so good, going to let it go as low on battery as I can before plugging it back in. Will see if it does any better. I'll add battery life screen shots at 10% and again at 5% for this charge cycle and the next, then I'll post another set next week, so everyone can see if it improves any.

I have contacted the seller, as the neck cover they shipped (shiny, slick, black plastic) does not snap in on the top right hand side...

Also I noticed while swapping the two batteries, the 3800 is only 3.7v the stock is 3.8v...
resetting battery stats is unneeded n is a myth ;)

Dunno why its even still in cwm lol

Upvote 0
It's funny how we all talk about cycling or seasoning a new battery, but truth is, these batteries are supposed to not be affected at all by such things. I wonder if it's more about the phone learning to read a battery with a different rating than the OEM battery?

I have one OEM and two aftermarket batteries, and there is a difference.

I do it for the phone, not the battery, as you have mentioned. my reasoning is through experience. I just got his battery and so far it lasted (from a full charge) exactly the same amount of time as the stock one.

Upvote 0
Here is the first charge screenshot.
I only did one, since I was actively using my phone at the time and it dropped from 10% to 5% in less than five minutes. Note the stagnant time is 8 hours of airplane mode overnight.

a6f8507b-0571-cab2.jpg

a6f8507b-0559-1f31.jpg

Upvote 0
resetting battery stats is unneeded n is a myth ;)

Dunno why its even still in cwm lol

If this were true, (a) Android wouldn't model % remaining at all, and there would (b) no basis for Android to refine the model based on past use.

Look, are you saying you know as a developer, there is no modeling based on past battery runtime, or are you saying, why bother clearing the statistics, just use it 3 times and let it refine its estimate?

Upvote 0
Second full charge...
a6f84fe4-65ca-46f2.jpg

a6f84fe4-65df-3da0.jpg

a6f84fe4-65ee-3e9d.jpg

Note on the last image the battery level dropped then went back up on the far right. That was a random reboot that happened when I turned my screen on after 30 minutes of not using it.

Update
Fully charged in only three hours this time, although I will leave it plugged in for a while as is recommended with extended batteries.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
YeahI'm wondering the same thing,is there a case that fits this battery?

Yes, there is...I mean as far as extended battery, I use the one sent directly from Verizon so it's LG brand, but if the battery dimensions are the same and it comes with a back (I'm sure it does) then if you go to Verizon they have one...it too me forever to find and then go figure Verizon is the only one I could find...even looked online and going NOTHING..this was an a year ago tho..but regardless, I found a nice case for my LG Brand extended battery at the Verizon store..had a little kickstand and everything...even handled getting run over by a lawn mower! It lasted me very very long considering that it put up with gratuitous amounts of abuse

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones