Activating my EVO

Last Updated:

1. musikat

musikat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am literally sitting and waiting for My EVO to arrive via UPS any minute (hour?) now. Yesterday I was in the Sprint store looking at accessories and I mentioned I was getting it through the mail. The employee told my not to turn it on, but to bring it to the store to be activated. Is that right?

I am moving my number from my Moment to the EVO. Can I just call support, or do I need to even do that?

Advertisement
  2. rckymtn

rckymtn Well-Known Member

It would'nt hurt to go to Sprint, Sprint will move all your contact over as well they have a niffy little machine that transfer all that. I bought mine at BB and after that went to Sprint just for the contact transfer.

3. reneeb

reneeb Well-Known Member

Really? My BB had one of those machines to do the contact transfer.

4. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

Well he was right about not turning it on but you don't have to take it to the store. Just go to your sprint account online and go to activate. Follow the instructions. All the info you need should be on the box. If you have any problems just call sprint and they will walk you through it.

5. blake247

blake247 Well-Known Member

I wonder if he would get a commission off your activation?

If you're an existing customer who is replacing a phone, I'd just do it online:

Sprint - Activate Phone Landing

6. vkdroid

vkdroid Well-Known Member

Compromise: Do it via the Sprint Activate site or Sprint chat. That's how I did it :) Was instant.

I just did my contacts and all that through Google Sync/Contacts. This might get you to playing with your EVO faster

7. rckymtn

rckymtn Well-Known Member

Well BB won't do it on the June 4 date due to the computer issue, there where 6 people behind me waiting to get service.

8. Kiesow

Kiesow Member

Why aren't you supposed to turn it on?

9. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

curious about this too...

10. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

It's like a security thing. If sprint gets the phones signal without activation it immediately locks the phone until you call them to unlock it and activate.

11. sfasu77

sfasu77 Member

You can activate the phone online, it's very convenient. Did that for my pre last year.

12. Kiesow

Kiesow Member

Is this new with the Evo? I've activated all of my other phones like this.:confused:

13. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member

wouldn't there be a big sticker that says don't turn the phone on then?

14. jkinnison90

jkinnison90 Member

i have a question about activating. i got mine through wirefly, and it says not to call sprint or anything to have it activated? why is that? i want to just go to the online site and activate it. i really don't wanna sit here and wait possibly a day for it to get activated by them or whatever. they say it can take up to a day, how lame is that?

15. edlex

edlex Well-Known Member

In the shipping email they specifically state not to turn it on before you activate it online.

16. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Gotta tell you - that Sprint site has been sloooow. When I logged onto my Sprint account, on-line activation was not possible for me (probably because data plan changes were necessary). So I did a telephone activation which was quick and easy (while going through the phone menus - I heard a message that the EVO was no longer shipping due to availability). The rep told me to turn the phone completely off while he pushed some buttons, then turn it on and the phone ran an auto update. That was EASY.

17. darweth

darweth Well-Known Member

Hrm... I am receiving a phone from Wirefly later today, though I am having my number ported from T-Mobile to Sprint so my process might be a little different. The website claims step-by-step activation instructions come with the phone when you're getting new service or renewing... is that a lie? Do you have any instructrions except not to call Sprint?

Wirefly told me porting/activation would happen automatically upon receiving the phone... gaaaah.

On a side not--- can you use your EVO over Wifi before activation completes?

18. jkinnison90

jkinnison90 Member

It came with instructions, but it pretty much says just to turn the phone on and it will activate itself, it tries to however, but just keeps looping, and then trying it manual it just fails.

Yeah, you can use WiFi, but I don't have WiFi where I am. You can use the whole phone, except for not having a cellular connection.

The two people I've chatted with said the device will automatically activate sometime within 24 hours. ..Ugh.

darweth likes this.
  19. darweth

darweth Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know about the Wifi bit.

Looks like we're both in for a fun time concerning activation and stuff! Eeek