• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Activating the Nexus outside your usual coverage area??

Got the Verizon Galaxy Nexus while on vacation (wet Droid X). Never could get decent data signals on the NC coast. On the way home it got better. My address on the Verizon coverage map is dark in the 4G color (as well as the surrounding area), but that obviously does not mean anything. I can't get the 4G to hold (no blue bars) and 3G is just as spotty at my house. My wife has a Droid X that stays on 4 bars 3G in the house. I switched the radio to CDMA only and still am lucky to get 1 bar. I work in Raleigh, NC (about 25 miles from home) and have great 4G coverage, the bars hold and everything. So my question is this, I know on the Droid X's we could do the *228 whenever we were not getting good coverage oin the area. I've read that is not necessary with LTE. I've also seen the numerous posts of LTE not holding in these phones. Can I rule out the phone and the radio, since I can get it to hold while in a good coverage area? Also, would having it activated originally a feww hundred miles away from home have any bearing on it? What would be the best step with Verizon for them to see if there is a problem with the closest tower to my house with the LTE??

Thanks for any guidance as to how to proceed.​

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones