• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Adding contacts directly to Droid

JPrentice

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
I have been able to sync my contacts from my Gmail to my Droid with no problem. But I am unable to add a contact to my phone directly. It takes all the information and goes all the way thru the process but when I am done...no new contact. I can add a contact to my gmail account and it is on my phone almost instantly. Any ideas?

are you sure? there are a couple of issues floating around these boards on this topic. try these two things before we go further:

1) add a new contact on your phone and then scroll down (don't search for it) to see if it's there.

2) log into your gmail contacts on your computer. see if that new contact you just created shows up in "my contacts". if it isn't there, check to see if it's in "all contacts".

(you can also search these forums for posts by me - I've had a couple of issues that may be similar to yours.)

Upvote 0
Here is your problem.

When you create a contact on the Droid, by default it is saved to "My Contacts" in gmail. If you do not have this group selected for display on your Droid, new contacts will not display!

Open contacts / menu / display options / select gmail account / check the box for "System Group: My Contacts" / done

Now your new contacts will appear.

You may want to think about how your Gmail contacts are organized. I keep all my most used contacts in My Contacts and put all others in groups. If I want to see a contact in another group, I just temporarily change the display settings.

There is an app called Contacts Evolved that displays your gmail contact groups in tabs for easy viewing. You may want to check it out becuase you can move your contacts into a different group and create a group with that app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones