• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Advice for ADW Launcher

JoshUng

May 13, 2010
I've had an Evo since launch, which is my first Android phone. I decided to try ADW Launcher for the weekend, as I've heard a lot of good things about it here on the forums.

I do like the dock, and having more options than just phone, add, and the app drawer. I also like the ability to see my homescreens in landscape mode as well. But coming from Sense, I do really miss the widgets, specifically the "Clock & Weather" widget, and the news widget. I've downloaded a few different clock widgets, found one I like, but it doesn't connect to my alarm clock, so I need to use a different icon, and the news widgets I downloaded just doesn't seem as responsive as the Sense one.

Just wondering if anybody had any advice on suitable replacements. For the clock, its not the look that I miss so much, its the functionality.

A couple things, I'm not rooted, don't plan on it, at least not for awhile. And I'm not planning on buying anything to alter the Launcher. Not because I'm cheap, but because I like Sense enough that I'd just as soon go back to it then pay. To me, it seems the biggest benefit of not having a skin is quicker updates, and of course, that wouldn't apply to my phone.

Hey Josh! I don't know if you've tried Beautiful Widgets? It costs a couple of bucks, but I think it's pretty great. Use beautiful home weather or smaller home weather. You can set it up so that when you tap on the time on the widget, it will take you to the clock app. It's pretty slick, and you can really customize it with skins.

I don't know about news widgets, I'm still looking for a good one too.

IMO, I like launcherpro better. I tried ADW for about an hour, after having used LP for a few weeks. I just didn't really like it. Uninstalled. I probably should have given it a longer try, but hey, LP does it for me. To each their own.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I did see Beautiful Widgets in th e market, I didn't go that way because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend any money, since I did like Sense, and figured I'd go back to Sense as opposed to spending money.

I did try Launcher Pro, the free version. I started with that awhile ago, and couldn't quite get the hang of it, but I think that was before I got a grasp of the phone as a whole. I'm sure if I tried it again, I'd be a little better at it. Right now, I'm thinking I might just go back to Sense, since I'm noticing a little bit of a lag in ADW, and considering that option is already on my phone, I might do that instead of spending money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones